INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: PixOS suite  (Read 1300 times)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
OT: PixOS suite
« on: October 10, 2003, 12:53:13 pm »

All,

I know that there is a PixOS desktop suite over at Pixtudio, and I was over at that site reading up on it. I am thinking about getting it, but before I did I had some questions (I think a few of you use the PixOS desktop, if I'm not mistaken....)

1. What software do I need to be able to run the PixOS desktop suite?  Do I need WindowsBlinds or something like that, or does everything I need come with the suite I get from them for $9.95?

2. I noticed the new mouse pointer in that screenshot of the desktop they have at the site. But I know I'd rather have the regular old white arrow mouse pointer if I use the suite. Is there a way to disable the "skin" for the mouse and still use the rest of the suite? I know it's a minor thing but it would bug me if I couldn't turn it off.

It looks like a great suite, and I always find myself going back to the PixOS skin for MC9, so I think I'd like it.

Thanks,

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
Re:OT: PixOS suite
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 01:42:10 pm »

It's all part of Stardock.com stuff and it's all broken down into different packages. Windowblinds is the basic theme but it can expand however you want from there, using DesktopX, Iconpackager, Object Bar or many other peices to the suite. You don't have to get it all, just the parts you want. I believe the price for the PixOS suite includes only the suite and no software, you would need to purchase what you want from Stardock.

The cursors are probably from Cursor XP, a nice little app that does some really fun things for your cursor and eats up very little resources, but if you don't want it, then you don't have to load it.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 02:08:04 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, if I want the PixOS suite, I have to purchase the Object desktop package for $50, install it, then purchase the PixOS suite and use it. I can't just purchase the PixOS suite for $10 and use it without spending any other $$$....

I'd pay the $10 for the Pixsuite, but I don't really want to pay $60 to get it.

Thanks

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 03:56:11 pm »

The PixOS suite is a set of skins. As Warren says there are skins in there for some of the Object Desktop stuff, however there are skins available for other than the Object Desktop suite also (I believe that Pixtudio have a list of exactly what is included on their site). There are skins for most of the apps "common" to the skinning community - so the basic one is for Windowblinds for sure.

If you don't have Object Desktop, you should perhaps try it or the various compnent parts of it you think you may find useful and then look at the cost. I believe that WindowBlinds for instance can still be bought seperately for less than the complete price of OD.

Personally I've owned Object Desktop and used various bits of it (as well as other "alternative desktop" software) for a couple or more years now and have found the PixOS suite one of the better designed suites of stuff. It is really quite consistantly usable. Pixtudio is an entity formed by some of the very best skinners out there (Alexandrie, Treetog etc.). Their stuff is extremely good quality themes. PixOS is one of their best and they seem to have put extra effort in and decided to sell the core parts of the suite commercially. It's one of the most stable (for me) sets of skins I have come across. (Read that as it's so good I don't change it for something else every week like I normally might!!! ;) )

I hope this helps explain.

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 11:15:16 pm »

I was thinking of getting the PixOS suite because of MC. I already have Object Desktop but I decided to stay with msstyles skins. I'm currently using Reluna. It's pretty nice. I was using Watercolor for the longest time but needed a change.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 01:35:55 am »

That's a very cool theme.  I like how simple and attractive it is.

For people who don't want to get one of the theme managers, and don't mind doing a bit of messing with their systems, there is a patch that can be installed:

http://www.belchfire.net/article205.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up