INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compare 2 libraries?  (Read 1019 times)

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
Compare 2 libraries?
« on: October 12, 2003, 01:04:11 pm »

Is it possible to compare two libraries?
The idea is the following:
I have two libraries, one of all my harddisc files, the other has all my CDs. Now if I search for some music that I do not have on my harddisc, it would be nice to have a way to compare the two libraries, i.e. sorted by interpret or album, so I can easily identify what is missing for a given artist on my HD.
Any ideas?
Thanks
- Pietro

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Compare 2 libraries?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 01:47:52 pm »

I convert the libraries to excel files and then sort them according to the filenames. Then I compare them using a utility called Excel Diff (http://www.componentsoftware.com/products/ExcelDiff/screenshots.htm)

To compare the current state of the library with the info on the files, I create a new library, import everything, and compare the two libraries as described above.

I wish there were an easier way though. Especially the second part (compare library to actual data in the files) may be important sometimes and I wish MC were supporting that.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 12:13:19 pm »

I convert the libraries to excel files and then sort them according to the filenames. Then I compare them using a utility called Excel Diff (http://www.componentsoftware.com/products/ExcelDiff/screenshots.htm)

To compare the current state of the library with the info on the files, I create a new library, import everything, and compare the two libraries as described above.

I wish there were an easier way though. Especially the second part (compare library to actual data in the files) may be important sometimes and I wish MC were supporting that.

Tolga.  Before MC, when I used to use that other program that I don't wish to name, I used the export function (exports to .txt) and then wrote a macro to import the data into excel and format it into an easy to use spreadsheet.  I'd love to be able to do something similar with MC but have no idea how to work with the xml file that MC exports to.  I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a step by step guide as to how you are doing this.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 05:09:02 pm »

JLee,

Sorry for late reply.

Stupid enough, I cannot recall exactly, I tried many things...
The format of xml file didn't looked good, so I think I just used select all (in a suitable view), and paste to excel. The fields you want to compare should be in current view, and you probably want to sort them before comparison (i.e. by filename, if locations don't change often).

Pages: [1]   Go Up