INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ANN] XAlbum - XMLtoHTML Conversion via XSLT Grouped by Album  (Read 2936 times)

sraymond

[ANN] XAlbum - XMLtoHTML Conversion via XSLT Grouped by Album
« on: October 07, 2003, 10:22:23 am »

See the thread in the Third-Party Plugins, Programs...  http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Other_Plugins;action=display;num=1065550575;start=0#0.

Here's a screenshot:

I still have no volunteers for someone willing to write the back-end to support a streamline use of the XSLT - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And for this to work for the masses, we'd need JRiver to provide us an MPL that has the <Field> content in a CDATA section - you may get an error if the MPL export is not well-formed XML.

Any questions, let me know!

Scott-

sraymond

Re: [ANN] AlbumViewer XSLT
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 06:52:19 pm »

Here's the latest screenshot:

See the thread http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Other_Plugins;action=display;num=1065550575;start=0#10 for more details.  Still no takers on a plugin-backend, so it looks like this will have to be "el manuelo" (is that really spanish for "manual"?)

Scott-

Hugo_Elbuho

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: [ANN] AlbumViewer XSLT
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 08:51:16 pm »

I've posted a possible solution to your "white border" problem on that thread. Hope it helps you out somehow.

Take care and good luck

sraymond

Re:[ANN] AlbumViewer XSLT
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 01:55:45 am »

And, yet again, the latest:

More details available in the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=15274.

It now groups first on artist, then on album and has a collapse/expand functionality by artist.

Scott-

sraymond

Re:[ANN] XAlbum - XMLtoHTML Conversion via XSLT Grouped by Album
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 02:09:19 pm »

From the Third Party Plugins...  thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=15274 (Please post comments there!)

Here's the latest screenshot:

The files may be downloaded at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/AlbumGroup45.zip.

The latest features:
1)  Added "expand all" and "collapse all" buttons.
2)  Added a song count and album count to each artist (i.e. "x songs in y albums" header.

And I'm pretty much tapped out of ideas.  I might consider trying to do a browser-side JavaScript that gets the MPL export from MC (assuming this is possible) and transforms it with the XSLT, but this might be more than I want to bite off (or chew).

Until then, if anyonse has any XSLT questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  I've tried to document it as good as possible - but I'm sure it's not as clear as it could be.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 10:23:07 am »

I've done a quick "proof-of-concept" for applying the XSLT and passing parameters via JavaScript.  If anyone's interested in trying it out to see if it works (all I know is that it works with IE6), I'd appreciate it.  The big benefit with this method is that you don't need to edit the exported MPL and you can choose things like sort criteria without editing the XSLT.

If you download the file http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/XAlbumTest.zip and unzip to a directory, all you need to do is open up the XAlbum.htm in your browser.  The rest should be pretty self-explanatory.

It's not fancy, but if it works, I'll work on a better presentation.

Scott-

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 12:00:47 pm »

I think you've done a great job on this - tried playing around with it last night.  Lots of MC users will find it really useful but unfortunately for me their are 2 big sticking problems:

1. It takes an age to open in IE with my 22K library
2. I store cover art inside files so I can't see it in the HTML.

My main use for such a facility would be to send the file to friends so they could browse the libary.  I use a filterable excel list for this.

What you've done is much more sexy though - like I said, great job.

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 12:25:57 pm »

I think you've done a great job on this - tried playing around with it last night.  Lots of MC users will find it really useful but unfortunately for me their are 2 big sticking problems:

1. It takes an age to open in IE with my 22K library
2. I store cover art inside files so I can't see it in the HTML.

My main use for such a facility would be to send the file to friends so they could browse the libary.  I use a filterable excel list for this.

What you've done is much more sexy though - like I said, great job.

1.  Be happy it doesn't crash the XSLT processor!  The problem with XSLT is that all the processors (as far as I know) load the complete document into memory.  You might try a processor that uses SAX (instead of DOM), but I think it will still have to load the whole document into memory.  You could try Xalan - though I've never had a problem with MSXSL.  I think the only other option is to write a program that does what the XSLT does (using SAX not DOM) - but for me, that'd defeat the purpose.  Once you're done transforming the XML, you could save the resultant HTML file - so it'd a one-time "age".  Or does it take a long time to open the HTML as well?

2.  I've been trying to think of the advantages to storing cover art inside the media file.  Is it only MC that can retrieve them?  If so, what's the disadvantage of putting thim in the album folder or a coverart folder?

Scott-

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 04:36:04 pm »

1.  Be happy it doesn't crash the XSLT processor!  The problem with XSLT is that all the processors (as far as I know) load the complete document into memory.  You might try a processor that uses SAX (instead of DOM), but I think it will still have to load the whole document into memory.  You could try Xalan - though I've never had a problem with MSXSL.  I think the only other option is to write a program that does what the XSLT does (using SAX not DOM) - but for me, that'd defeat the purpose.  Once you're done transforming the XML, you could save the resultant HTML file - so it'd a one-time "age".  Or does it take a long time to open the HTML as well?
To be honest, I don't know 'cos I didn't wait around for it to open - I terminated it so maybe the XSLT proc did crash.

I've been trying to think of the advantages to storing cover art inside the media file.  Is it only MC that can retrieve them?  If so, what's the disadvantage of putting thim in the album folder or a coverart folder?
I created 70% of my MP3s using MMJB which (at the time) only offered the option to store inside the file.  I carried on with this approach when I started using MC to keep things consistent and enable me to switch back to MMJB or another program and still be able to view cover art.

Now that I realise that I'm unlikely to move away from MC the best option, I feel, would be to have the cover art stored in the file folder as folder.jpg.  But this is just too big a job with a 22K library.

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 05:07:27 pm »

Download and use the trial of my AlbumView program ... it will allow you to extract the cover art of an album to an external file.

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 05:14:53 pm »

Thanks Rhino.  I'll give it a blast.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 05:34:01 pm »

Scott.

I am getting a java script error on this in IE...and FB wont use it as it uses the MSXSL engine which FB cannot interact with...Sorry mate!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up