INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to export to XML  (Read 1831 times)

dragyn

Unable to export to XML
« on: October 13, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »

everytime I try to do this, I get an 'out of memory' error.

my library is about 24mb (mediafiles.jmd) and my swap file is currently set at 580MB. I keep raising it but I still get the error.

Any ideas?

Media Center Registered 9.1.274 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 803 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 54 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     CD-W54E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

sraymond

Re:Unable to export to XML
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 12:28:38 pm »

Can you Export Playlist using the MPL format?

Scott-

dragyn

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 12:34:45 pm »

I can make mpl playlists.

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 01:09:02 pm »

The Export Playlist's MPL format is essentially the same thing as the Export to XML result.  The only difference is that the Export to XML adds a few more fields (calculated, I think) and the Export Playlist lets you export all or just a selection.

Does Export Playlist's MPL format suffice?

Scott-

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 01:12:29 pm »

Well I was doing File / Library / Export to XML...

This is what doesn't work.

I'm just playing around with it. Not really a big deal to me but it's just something I saw.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 01:55:29 pm »

I understand...  it's just that the Export to XML seems to be a superflous function, what with the Export Playlist (File -> Export Playlist) functionality (excepting a few less fields).  I asked JRiver why there's both, but got no response.

Scott-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 01:56:10 pm »

The XML export is built in memory, then dumped to disk.  It's about 6 times the size of your mediafiles.jmd file, so it's just too much XML data to work with in memory.

We need to make it more scalable, but I'm not sure if it'll happen in version 9.1...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 02:19:38 pm »

The XML export is built in memory, then dumped to disk.  It's about 6 times the size of your mediafiles.jmd file, so it's just too much XML data to work with in memory.

We need to make it more scalable, but I'm not sure if it'll happen in version 9.1...

At least with the Export Playlist's MPL format, you can export only a selection.

Why are there two separate functions (Export to XML and Export Playlist (MPL format)?

Scott-

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 04:05:38 pm »

Dragyn, your system specs: Total - 196 MB, Free - 54 MB

Buy some more RAM man!

54Mb is not a lotta room to move in.

Bump your memory up to 512Mb if ya can afford it, you'll be amazed at the difference in performance (as well as probably being able to export XML - whoo hoo!)
Cheers
Rob

dragyn

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 04:17:39 pm »

It's old. I know. I'm too broke to do anything with this. I spent most of my money in my car.

Someday I plan to upgrade but MC is working fine now..except for that little prob above. And like I said, I was just messing around. I wouldn't know what to do with the xml file even if it did create it.

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 05:51:36 pm »

It's old. I know. I'm too broke to do anything with this. I spent most of my money in my car.

Someday I plan to upgrade but MC is working fine now..except for that little prob above. And like I said, I was just messing around. I wouldn't know what to do with the xml file even if it did create it.

With the XML, you have a lot of control over the presentation using XSLT.  See the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9532 for *one* example.

You can use XSLT to do some statistical generations as well - though much of that is already done by MC.

XML is also a powerful tool for data exchange - though there's not much need to do that once you're happy with MC!

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up