INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bug with smartlist sorting?  (Read 1161 times)

GaryD9

• Recent member
bug with smartlist sorting?
« on: October 07, 2003, 09:10:34 am »

Sorting by "number plays" will prevent combining with any type of random sorting.  An example:

I have 50 tracks with '0' number plays, and 20 with '1' number plays.  If I create a smart list that sorts by "[number plays],[random]",  it appears that the 'random' part of the sort is completely ignored.
Switching the sort to "[random],[number plays]" doesn't fix the problem.

Expected behavior:  The top 50 tracks in the list would contain a random ordering of those songs with 0 plays, the next 20 tracks would contain a random ordering of songs with 1 play, etc.

This become an even greater issue when limiting the play list to a certain number of tracks.  Adding a "limit: 10 tracks" to the above smartlist will result in the exact same 10 tacks (in the same order) regardless of the 'random' element in the sort.

Is there any way this can be fixed?  I'm really trying to generate a smartlist containing "a random selection of 50 of the least played songs"

Thanks
Gary

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: bug with smartlist sorting?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 09:34:03 am »

All I can think is to use two smartlists like this:

A: ~sort=[number plays] ~%=20
B: playlist=[A] ~n=50
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GaryD9

• Recent member
Re: bug with smartlist sorting?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 11:14:41 am »

So the inability to combine 'random' and 'number plays' in a sort is NOT a bug?

(Just making sure I understand how things are supposed to work...)

thanks
Gary

Clownfish

Re:bug with smartlist sorting?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 10:55:17 pm »

I was wondering about something similar.

We use MC at work to play music that everyone contributes to the mix (currently hovering around 25,000 songs ;D).  We use a Smartlist to combine all our music, set some simply boundries for "fair play" music (like no songs over 15 min. and no silly Jingle Cats songs ;)).  The trick is we end up re-building the Playing now list quite frequently and this re-sets the random order of the music, resulting in some songs randomly getting played more than once before we hear the other music.  We wanted to sort first by "numberplays" then by "random" so it would wieght the music we haven't heard before to the top of the list.

So far the best alternative we've found is to simply put a filter in the smart list for "numberplays<1".  When all our music goes over that we'll change it to <2. But there's got to be a better way.

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:bug with smartlist sorting?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 04:29:34 pm »

I'd just like to add my name to the (relatively short) list of users who would love to see a modification in this area...

I'd love to be able to add [Random] as a final sort option where the previous sort categories may result in ties, i.e. number plays.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up