INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging mode slow performance (Matt)  (Read 1456 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Tagging mode slow performance (Matt)
« on: October 14, 2003, 12:51:00 pm »

Hi Matt,

According to your suggestion I'm starting a new thread on this issue.

The slowliness that I'm experiencing is basically in the response-time between clicking with the mouse on the checkbox and the red checkmark apearing on the screen and letting you go to the next panel. It sometimes takes 10 seconds each, which seems too much to me, especially if willing to tag three or four different fields (genre, year and rating).

The library consists today of 55.155 mp3 all of them with image inside. If you think that this response time is not normal I will try to isolate more the problem... just let me know.

My sistem info:
------
Media Center Registered 9.1.271 -- C:\Archivos de programa\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2504 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 681 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  LTR-48246S         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
------

Listening to: 'Isn't It A Pity' from 'Songs From The Material World - A Tribute To George Harrison' by 'Jay Bennett & Edward Burch' on Media Center 9.1

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Tagging mode slow performance (Matt)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 01:39:48 pm »

After hitting a checkbox, it updates the panes. (check states, what items are listed, etc.)  It has to do this because if, for example, you change an artist other panes (like Complete Album, etc.) could need to be updated as well.

With 55,000 files and several panes, I can see why it'd take a few seconds.

Really, less-than-bullet-proof updating but usable speed is probably better than the other way around.

Let us think about it...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 01:48:20 pm »

Thanks, Matt. Even though not very fast, I find tagging mode comfortable and convenient.

Thank you,

-----
Listening to: 'The Angels Rejoiced Last Night (with Gram Parsons)' from 'Portraits [BOX SET] (CD 1)' by 'Emmylou Harris' on Media Center 9.1

nila

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:49:25 pm »

Haven't checked this in a while because I've been away (I had an AMAZING time - wahey!!!)
I'm not sure if it's in current builds but this used to effect me a LOT.

When I was doing tagging with it before I was finding it REALLY slow - to the point of not being useable.
It was taking me several seconds per check and when I have 10,000 pictures that I need to tag - a few seconds per picture to set the tag isn't really useable.

How about just all the double checking up the tree isn't done until tagging mode is turned off or we move to a new previous pane or something - it never checks further up the tree set than we are changing?

5 seconds per tag I change x 10,000 pictures x 5 tags to set per image = a LOT of unnecessary wasted time :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 03:10:03 pm »

Nice to see you back Nila.

And next build:

Changed: Checking / unchecking items in tagging mode much faster. (2 times or more faster)

Let us know if it still needs improvement.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Omni

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 04:14:47 pm »

Let us know if it still needs improvement.

You're just a glutton for punishment, aren't you?  :P

nila

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 05:25:51 pm »

Wish I could say it's nice to be back but the trip was tooo perfect. Wish I was still on it.
Congrats on whatever the deal you guys have just pulled off.

I'll test it as soon as I get back to my computer and tag a hundred or so images and see how I find it :)

I'm guessing v10 is secretly being planned as v9.1 seems to be left to just purely minor bug fixes now - cant wait to be surprised :)

dragyn

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 12:33:17 am »

I've noticed a huge speed increase with tagging images with delmited lists. I have about 7-8 different fields showing and it's pretty good now. Before I had to sit and wait on each click. Now it takes about 1-2secs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up