INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same track mulitple times in MC...and a question ?  (Read 1258 times)

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Same track mulitple times in MC...and a question ?
« on: October 03, 2003, 10:35:35 am »

I'm in the middle of a mammoth quest to rip my CD collection to MP3 via MC9, primarily for iPod use.

Anyway, I'm getting to the stage where I start to get a lot of duplicate track(s) , usually where it appears on an album and then a subsequent "Best Of" collection.

To avoid the same song being loaded twice on my iPod, I'm thinking of (e.g.) for the "Best Of" track, updating the filename properties so that it points to the equivalent track on the album (proper) and then deleting the "Best Of" track but I'm a bit worried about breaking MC9's integrity -- I mean, is it possible for 2 MC9 entries to point to the same mp3 file ? How would this effect things like last-played data etc. I'm not au fait with how tagging and MC9 work but I suspect that what I ask is a big No-No  ?

I suspect the real solution is just to "trim" my "Best-Of" collections down....

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Same track mulitple times in MC...and a questi
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 12:14:42 pm »

I don't like best ofs and greatest hits albums, so whenever possible I keep the songs only in the "proper" album. allmusic.com is a good source to find what album a particular song is on. If you "trim" down a best of album you could put the complete song list in the "notes" section of the file properties.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 02:11:17 pm »

I see what you're saying and I hadn't thought of dicing up my "best of" albums that way but it does make sense.

It just leaves the question as to what to do with tracks exclusive to "Best of" compilations e.g. "Bad Day" from the forthcoming R.E.M. compilation

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 04:05:49 pm »

I struggle with this problem too. I don't want to dice up my 'best of' albums.  What I would like is for the duplicates modifier (available in smartlists, view schemes, search bar etc) to have an option to remove all but one of the duplicates found.  Currently all you can do is list or exclude all duplicates and I can't think why you would want to do this.  Surely those that use the duplicates modifier just want to leave one version of the track behind.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 12:22:03 am »

What I would like is for the duplicates modifier (available in smartlists, view schemes, search bar etc) to have an option to remove all but one of the duplicates found.  Currently all you can do is list or exclude all duplicates and I can't think why you would want to do this.  Surely those that use the duplicates modifier just want to leave one version of the track behind.

Did you ever find out how to do this?

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 01:01:04 am »

What I would like is for the duplicates modifier (available in smartlists, view schemes, search bar etc) to have an option to remove all but one of the duplicates found.  Currently all you can do is list or exclude all duplicates and I can't think why you would want to do this.  Surely those that use the duplicates modifier just want to leave one version of the track behind.

Did you ever find out how to do this?
No - not via the duplicates feature for the reasons I stated above.  Another way is to use Rating.  I only listen to tracks with a rating of 2 or more (usually 3 or 4 more depending on the mood) and never listen to tracks rated 1.  Tracks rated 1 are only retained on my system because they are part of an album that I want to keep.  So you could rate the Best Of tracks as 1 and only transfer tracks rated 2 and above (or exclude 1) to your IPOD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up