INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tried creating Audio CD that will playback songs at same volume.  (Read 1767 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I carefully followed the instructions to Create a CD With Replay Gain so that the resulting audio CD could be played back on my car CD player with songs at the same volume.

The burned CD still has volume differences that I can hear when I play it back on my DVD player that's hooked up to my stereo system. I expect the car stereo would have the same problem.

When the songs are played back on the PC from WAV files, replay gain does its job and the tracks are at the same level.

I thought it might not be working because I am starting with analyzed WAV files that are used to create the audio CD.  Is this feature only available if you burn a CD from MP3 or other compressed format files?

Perhaps I have a setting wrong, but I know the check box next to Replay Gain was checked in the DSP Studio (CD Burning) dialog.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Tried creating Audio CD that will playback songs at same volume.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:59:42 am »

In the "CD Writer Settings" dialog, you should have the option "Apply cross-fade and DSP effects to the CD" checked. Then click on the "Settings" button right below this option, then click the DSP studio button, the "Replay Gain" option should be checked and the "Adjustment" drop box should read "Automatic based on current playlist".

Possibly you had the "Adjustment" options set at "None" or "Fixed" with a 0.0 db change. In this case replay gain would not have any effect.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 01:14:33 pm »

So far I've burned two CDs that didn't produce the desired effect.  Both times I had selected the DSP effects.

On the first CD, I had selected Replay Gain and to apply +8.0 fixed adjustment.

On the second CD, Replay Gain was checked and the drop down selected was "Automatic based on current playlist" (I believed it calculated to +6.5)

The DSP effects were set to standard 0.5 sec gap between songs, with no equalization or output changes selected.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 10:58:19 am »

Thanks for reporting this. It turns out that the replay gain feature for CD burning got broken a while back. It is fixed again for the next build (probably later today). Look for a build number of 9.1.279 or higher.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 01:51:14 pm »

I'm really glad to hear this news.  I was going crazy listening for volume differences.  Last night I burned more discs and tried playing them back on different devices.  The cross-fading seemed to work, so I wasn't sure why I still noticed volume differences.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 01:58:10 pm »

Could this be happening to removable drive tranfers as well?  I'm listening to tunes on my palm pilot transferred to my memory card using the handheld tool.

I've noticed volume differences in songs that I don't hear at home, though they aren't huge, they do require a volume change.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 02:20:19 pm »

Could this be happening to removable drive tranfers as well?  I'm listening to tunes on my palm pilot transferred to my memory card using the handheld tool.

I've noticed volume differences in songs that I don't hear at home, though they aren't huge, they do require a volume change.
Replay gain isn't available when transferring to removable drives. This is strictly a file copy, whereas when you burn an audio CD in MC and select the "use crossfade/dsp" option, you are actually "playing" the tracks through MC's playback engine and directly out to the CD burner.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 02:29:55 pm »

This reminds me of a question I've been meaining to ask:

All my music is in .mpc and replaygained (MC style).  I also have a handheld, but it only plays .mp3 files.  So, what I'm wondering is if when I convert the .mpcs to .mp3s using MC does it use the replaygain value when decoding the .mpc before converting it to .mp3, or is there some way to enable this?  Basically I want all the .mp3s the same volume since my handheld doesn't support replaygain.

-John

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 02:50:03 pm »

Sorry, there's no way to do that right now. Maybe an enhancement request for a future version.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 08:59:27 pm »

I'm happy to report that build 9.1.279 has taken care of the Replay Gain option on burning CDs.  Now I can finally get those compilation CDs for the car the way I want them.

Thanks!!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up