More > Media Center 11 (Development Ended)

Re-rip feature ?

(1/3) > >>

Ce.D:
Problem

I'm currently in the process of re-ripping my 5'000-odd MP3 files...

What is bugging me the most in this process is the need to fix the CDs' tag info to match those of my already-imported files before launching the ripping (I'm a bit of a maniac when it comes to tags and archival...). YADB lookup helps... but it very oftenly is incomplete or doesn't match my conventions (well, yes, the maniac again...)

I know the CDs tag info are saved in the library... but what if one has to clear the libary ? (had to do it when switching from 8.0 to 9.0 to 9.1: tag saving took an AWFUL lot of time until I rebuild my library from scratch/files tags)

And anyhow, when re-ripping, one is only interested in updating the file, not the tags (which may have changed since the original rip).

Proposed solution

It would be ideal if one could say "re-rip" when right-clicking on an album in the library (thus re-ripping the file and changing ONLY the tags related to bitrates/duration/audio analyze).

I think of a re-ripping window where one would have the library track/file, a checkbox (re-rip/don't re-rip) and a "CD track" drop-down list (build using YADB lookup) to make sure the library track/file and CD track match.

OR

(less ideal) fix CDs tag info with a kind of "import tags from album (-> select album) or files (-> select files)" when in CD/DVD view

Did I miss something ?

Did I miss THE MC 9.1 tool that would allow me to do that ?

So...

What you guys would think of that ?

Thanks for your feedback !

kiwi:
 ;)

This is why I'm glad I ripped my files to a lossless format.

not much of a help... but if you rip to a lossless format this time, you can do a batch convertion of your files.  Do all your tag changes to the lossless format, and then recreate your mp3s.  The other advantage is that you can convert to whatever format you want.

kiwi

Ce.D:
@ kiwi: well, of course... but I ain't got 200-odd GB of disc  (and more to add as more CDs come) ! I'd love to, and if possible RAID-1 mirrored ! But that gets $$$ !  :)

DJ_Hazelwood:
I re-rip my complete collection too. And i've also looked for a possibility to keep my tags. But without success.

A 're-rip'-feature (as mentioned above) would be really useful.

GrumpyNick:
This is exactly what I'm intending to do as well. I originally ripped my 300+ CDs to wma, mainly with Windows Media Player before I purchased MJ/MC.

I was painstakingly careful to ensure that all the files are tagged the way I want them. Then I bought an ipod. I've tried converting to MP3 on the fly but the tracks don't sound quite right to me. Since I bought the ipod , all new CDs have been ripped as High Quality VBRs using Media Center and they sound stunning.

What I need is a way to extract just the tags, then re-import them for the "re-ripped" tracks.

Nick

Listening to Zimbabwe from Pangaea by Miles Davis on my ipod

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version