INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: archiving the library  (Read 1442 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
archiving the library
« on: October 22, 2003, 06:37:03 am »

Now that I have a DVD writer I want to back up my library.  As you probably know, when each file is acrhived the 'archive' bit is disabled, and if the file is changed the bit is enabled again for backing up.  My question is ... once the file properties and tags are set, and the file is archived ... what MC actions will reset the archive bit??  I imagine if the tag is changed (e.g., trackname, artist, genre) the bit will change ... but what about "last played", "number of plays"??

Is there a list of properties of a MP3 file (or ogg, etc)somewhere that describes what is saved as a tag, and what properties are saved in the library, "mediafiles.jmd".
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

jleerigby

Re:archiving the library
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 06:46:02 am »

Is there a list of properties of a MP3 file (or ogg, etc)somewhere that describes what is saved as a tag, and what properties are saved in the library, "mediafiles.jmd".
You could start by looking in the Action Window for File Type Info.  This will show which fields are saved in the file for the selected track.  You can also edit each of the library fields via Options> Tree & View Settings and see if the box is ticked to save the field to the file if possible.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 07:32:13 am »

You could start by looking in the Action Window for File Type Info.  This will show which fields are saved in the file for the selected track.  You can also edit each of the library fields via Options> Tree & View Settings and see if the box is ticked to save the field to the file if possible.

I see the fields are catagorized ("general", "file info", etc), but it's still unclear which of the catagories are actually written to the individual file, and which are written to the library file(?)

I hope JRiver sees what I'm getting at.  I certainly don't want the archive bit reset just because the "number of plays" field changed.  This would be an example of a track property which should be written to the library, and I imagine others should be there as well ... but I'd like to know which before I make changes to default fields, make suggestions, ... or complain  :)

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 07:58:43 am »

I would also like to know what tags are actually being stored in the files.  There is an option "Store in file if possible".  But how do you know when it's possible and when it isn't?

kiwi

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 02:57:24 pm »

I guess you can use some type of file viewer or a tag viewing program, dunno what.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 10:39:46 am »

I see the fields are catagorized ("general", "file info", etc), but it's still unclear which of the catagories are actually written to the individual file, and which are written to the library file(?) ...

bump(?)

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 12:31:39 pm »

I think you are looking in the wrong place.  First select a single[/] file.  Then from the Action Window home page select File Properties> File Type Info.  What you see is what's actually saved in the selected file.  This is a good place to start to learn which fields are being saved to file and which are just saved in MC's database.

As mentioned above you could also use the edit option for each field in Options> Tree & View Settings to see if the option 'Store inside tags (where possible)' is ticked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up