INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing iTunes .m4p files?  (Read 806 times)

koreth

• Recent member
Playing iTunes .m4p files?
« on: October 17, 2003, 01:42:52 am »

You can play an iTunes .m4p file with the QuickTime player (version 6.x). Given that that's the case, any chance MC will include a QuickTime plugin to play those files? Seems like that would sidestep the whole issue of needing to support Apple's DRM -- just use Apple's decoder to do the playback.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re:Playing iTunes .m4p files?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 01:52:09 am »

You can play an iTunes .m4p file with the QuickTime player (version 6.x). Given that that's the case, any chance MC will include a QuickTime plugin to play those files? Seems like that would sidestep the whole issue of needing to support Apple's DRM -- just use Apple's decoder to do the playback.

I've been thinking that idea too.

Plus, it would give you your AAC support w/o having to  have any licensing issues.

Can you encode your music using QuickTime?  Or would you have to encode it using a different program?

I'm just finishing up reorganizing my library and will have to to a batch converstion process on all of my MP3s.  I really only use them on my iPod, so I was thinking that I might try using AACs, to get the space savings, as on my headphones, I probably won't hear the dif between 128kbps AAC and 160kbps MP3.

I think from now on, I'm not going to bother making any changes to MP3 files tags, just do it to my APE collection and then propogate the changes through.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up