INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playcounts, smartlists for NON ipod users?  (Read 1032 times)

pufftissue

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Playcounts, smartlists for NON ipod users?
« on: September 24, 2003, 04:53:40 pm »

Hi, which mp3 players, when coupled with media center 9, will allow us windows people to have the ratings feature, playcounts, smartlists, and last played abilities that the ipod has?  

I am specifically wondering about the iriver ihp100 and the creative zen jukebox, or rio karma.

Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playcounts, smartlists for NON ipod users?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 05:37:08 am »

pufftissue,

Support of Ratings and Playcounts by portable devices is controlled by the device. If a device supports these features (i.e iPod) then MC can interact with this information.

The iRiver player is not currrently supported by MC (although this is likely in the future). The Zen and karma do not support these features.

Steve

riokarma

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Playcounts, smartlists for NON ipod users?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 12:50:19 am »

pufftissue,

Support of Ratings and Playcounts by portable devices is controlled by the device. If a device supports these features (i.e iPod) then MC can interact with this information.

The iRiver player is not currrently supported by MC (although this is likely in the future). The Zen and karma do not support these features.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The Rio karma definitely has the metadata b/c when you bring up the "about" feature of the track on the player itself, it says "number of plays" and then "last played" data. And the playlist is dynamic (if you reselect "top tunes" again, it'll reupdate).  
SO...when is Media Center 9 going to support the Karma?

SteveG

Re:Playcounts, smartlists for NON ipod users?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 09:41:44 am »

riokarma,

We do not have this device here to test, but if you want to give it a try we may support it already. Go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives->Configure and select 'Enable WMDM Detection'.  This may allow you to see the Karma under your CD,DVD and Handhelds tree. Please let me know how this turns out.

Thanks,

Steve

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 11:10:59 am »

What you can do though is use MC to generate playlists with the options (i.e. only songs with a 5 rating) and then export the list to an M3U list - and then import that list into your player - I know that this works with the NOMAD ZEN - it is an extra step or two but it allows you to utilize the smartlist feature......

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 03:03:51 pm »

milehigh,

Using the Zen, you can save yourself that effort by using the Synchronization feature (right-click on Zen and choose 'Syncrhonize'). This feature gives you checkboxes for automatically sending playlists to your Zen.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up