INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 9.1.279 - Configuring Keyword Search For Large Media Libraries  (Read 1514 times)

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...

I have around 80,000 files, mostly mp3 and Ogg, in my Media Library.

Now, when I'm checking if I already have a file, the quickest thing with MC 9.0 was to type some keywords into the search box in the Media Library view and see if I got any hits. As long as I was careful to type in one go, consistently without pausing, this worked fine. After a second or two, the search would resolve.

Now with MC 9.1.279, when I start smoothly typing into the search field on the top-left, it *always* pauses after I type the first letter and hangs for several seconds (saying "sorting list" or something). It seems to be returning all files based on that first letter. This takes quite a long time before I can type the rest of the key words.

Is there a way to configure when MC9 begins to search, that is, how long a pause it requires before deciding that the keyword is complete?

Irish guy in San Francisco

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
Re:MC 9.1.279 - Configuring Keyword Seach For Large Media Libraries
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 04:19:49 pm »

I agree with you.  I have approx 70,000 files and the searching function has become pretty redundant for me due to the time taken.  (PS - This is on a PIV 2.53Mhz with 1GB Ram)

Watching Task Manager and processor utilisation is interesting - 100% till it completes.

On my test rig - Celeron 533Mhz with 384Mb Ram - it is painfully slow.  But then again so is changing a view scheme to another one.  On this machine the processor can sit at 100% for literally 40 or 50 seconds.

Another scenario is when starting MC - my main PC takes about 20 secs.  Test Rig - maybe a minute.

Graham

dragyn

Re:MC 9.1.279 - Configuring Keyword Search For Large Media Libraries
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 08:24:29 pm »

I agree. I started a topic on this two days ago which shows a way to make everyone happy.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 05:49:49 am »

I agree. I started a topic on this two days ago which shows a way to make everyone happy.

Wow - Dragyn.  That makes 1 hell of a difference. (Removing Thumbnails) - (i had approx 90,000 that MC had created)

The only point that remains is the way in which MC appears to search.

Rather than allowing a small pause before searching after you type the first letter to see if you are going to type further letters it starts to search immediately.

A small pause would be good, and would also save time in completing searches.

Graham

PS - Are J River aware of the "issue" concerning thumbnails?"

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 12:45:49 pm »

Nice one, a direct link would be nicer. I note that my library is also on a network share.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16095
Irish guy in San Francisco

dragyn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 12:48:55 pm »

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 10:05:41 pm »

Yep, this would make a huge difference in usability for me. I'd add it to my top list of things to wish for:

1) Configurable delay (or <enter>) before searching
2) Smartlist wizard
3) One touch update/import
4) Better folder moving options

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up