INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Online music piracy prevention.  (Read 1634 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
OT: Online music piracy prevention.
« on: October 17, 2003, 02:22:32 pm »

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/286/business/Missing_the_point_on_antipiracy_technology+.shtml

This article states on the purpose of using antipiracy technology on downloaded music and on cd.

I kinda agree with it. Not 100% but most of it.

Just wondering what do most people think about this?

At least the Suncomm piracy protection is better than most other which might cause your computer to crash if you attempt to play them on the computer.
Don't Panic!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re:OT: Online music piracy prevention.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 06:38:00 pm »

The correct link is http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/286/business/Missing_the_point_on_antipiracy_technology+.shtml You had parts of it outside the hyperlink formatting... But I agree that the article is very good. It just forgets the simplest way of bypassing any antipiracy technology in wma or whatever: Play the file on a sound card with SPDIF out, record it on another sound card with SPDIF in (they can even be in the same computer) and you have a bit perfect copy. You will of course loose a bit or two when converting from the recorded wave file to whatever format you choose, but this is probably not a very big deal. I even tried this on a CD that was too badly scratched to rip - recording digitally from a standalone laser disk player with optical digital out. The amazing thing was that when I had split the tracks correctly (putting the split immideatly before the beginning of the next track) Psychich MP3 was able to find the CD in the FreeDB without any problems. Which should prove that this really is a bit by bit copy of the original.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 07:05:49 pm »

Psychich MP3 was able to find the CD in the FreeDB without any problems.
what exactly is Psychic MP3?

Which should prove that this really is a bit by bit copy of the original.

Probably not.  I imagine that FreeDB/CDDB use the number of tracks and the lengths of each of those tracks (and maybe some other info) to figure out which CD it is.  I don't think that they don't do a bit for bit comparison of the CDs.

kiwi

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 07:20:35 pm »

The correct link is http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/286/business/Missing_the_point_on_antipiracy_technology+.shtml You had parts of it outside the hyperlink formatting...

well the real problem was he faled to use the [ url ][ /url ] URL Forum formating codes this is required when

1. you wish to provide a link on the same line as other text
2. when the URL is long

I fixed it, however
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 07:21:59 pm »

No, it's not that simple, I belive. It seems like they extract a code for each cd from something. Anyway, I gues your're right. It's not a proof. But I still say that recording an SPDIF signal should give you exactly what is played. Or am I a complete idiot?  ;) Psychic MP3 is a program that renames and tags CDs based on the FreeDB entries. You can do a manual search if you don't find the CD automatically. One of my indispensable tools for MP3 maintainance.  8)

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 08:11:48 pm »

No, it's not that simple, I belive. It seems like they extract a code for each cd from something.

I think that they may do that in addition to the other, but I have definitely burned CDs where I have just put the WAVs onto the CD and it's still been recognized.  There was no way that any identifying number was included.

Anyway, I gues your're right. It's not a proof. But I still say that recording an SPDIF signal should give you exactly what is played. Or am I a complete idiot?  ;)[\quote]

No, you're not an idiot.  Assuming that you are not changing the signal before it goes out on the SPDIF, you should be getting exactly what is played.  Volume controls and the like could effect the output, so you have to be careful.

Psychic MP3 is a program that renames and tags CDs based on the FreeDB entries. You can do a manual search if you don't find the CD automatically. One of my indispensable tools for MP3 maintainance.  8)

So you can select all of the mp3 tacks for an album and say "figure out which CD this is?"

That's cool.  Does it work for other formats besides MP3?

kiwi

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 08:33:35 pm »

No, sorry. only MP3s. For me that's enough, I stick to that format.

phelt

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 02:33:20 pm »

FYI, SPDIF signals can contain a copyright flag. Newer standalone CD and DVD players usually enable this for their SPDIF output. But it's up to the recording device to pay attention to the copyright flag - sometimes this is an option within a sound card's control utility.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 03:16:22 pm »

And as long as there are Kx drivers for my Audigy I'm pretty sure I can record anything digitally... I have heard about "fake" sound drivers that rip digital streams, but are they possible to use with DRM coded WMA?
Pages: [1]   Go Up