INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Process for migrating MC to whole new system.  (Read 1077 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Process for migrating MC to whole new system.
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:04:30 am »

I'm going to be migrating to a new system shortly.  I'll be completely resinstalling everything starting from scratch, so I need to find out what steps to take to most easily get MC set up on the new system just like it is now -- i.e. steps to make sure I migrate my smartlists and all my settings.  What files do I need to copy in order to do this?  

Also, I'm confused by some of the license/registration info in the FAQ.  The license FAQ says "If you have preserved your Registration Code you can restore your license indefinitely. You can also recover if you have your orginal e-mail and password."  I'm confused by this -- i.e. how does this relate to the "10 restores" that the FAQ refers to?  I saved my mjr file when I bought MC -- it sounds like I can keep using this, but that the "install key" will expire after a couple weeks.  The FAQ "seems" to answer a lot of questions, but somehow I don't feel like I'm entirely clear on how all this works.  I don't want to "use up" any of these 10 restores if I don't have to.

How do I confirm what password I used when purchasing MC?  I found my email response from the purchase, but I don't see anyplace that offers to confirm my password, and I can't seem to find any further information on this.

Thanks for any clarification on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re:Process for migrating MC to whole new system.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 09:31:45 pm »

I'm still unclear what file/s I need to copy (or what procedures I need to follow) in order to end up with everything the same on the new system.  If this is covered somewhere in a FAQ, please let me know.

Thanks,

Larry

dragyn

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 10:05:37 pm »

Use can only use your registration code 10 times per year. When you use it, you can save the registration key to your hard drive and use it as many times as you want for 2 weeks.

Make sure you make a library backup. File / Library / Backup Library... and also make sure you backup anything else you downloaded...like visualizations, track infos, etc unless you want to download them all again.

Might also want to back up your cover art directory too. <c:\program files\j river\media center\data\cover art>

And last but not least, backup everything that's inside your library..mp3s, mpgs, etc and they must point to the corresponding drive\path in the new system else your library wont work.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 03:16:52 am »

What about playlists and MC option settings?  Are these saved inside the library backup file?

Thanks,

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 07:14:43 am »

Playlists - yes
Option settings - No (Custom fields will be saved)

I just kept a manual copy of option settings by using Alt+PrintScreen and pasting the details into a word doc for safe keeping.  It's not that big a job really.  Someone advised me to export the registry and copy it back after the install but to me that's not advisable if you want to be sure you have a nice clean install that's not corrupted in any way.

Be sure to keep a copy of the data directory and put it back afterwards (contains cover art etc).  Also copy any custom skins, visualisations or track info templates.

In doing this I recommend you install to the same version of MC that you back up - preferably the latest version.  So install the latest version first - then back everything up - then reformat and reintsall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up