INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 50597 times)

waltercr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2003, 10:40:21 am »

Ok.. Some more information..

So, I was driving into work and I went to listen to my audiobook, and it was not there.. So now, allong with my playlists being going I am missing files.

When I got to the office I plugged in and looked at the hard drive. The files WERE there, they were just not showing up in the IPOD. So here are my questions

1) Is this some weird Itunes/MC/ipod issue? I have used Itunes with my ipod once (and it is still installed)
2) Is this a problem with ITunes being installed at all?? I dont like it automaticallly come up when I put the ipod in the cradle.

So, do I need to uninstall Itunes?
Do I just need to never use it again? (which is ok, I dont like it and I love media center)
Do I need to re-initialize the ipod?
Anything else?

Ric

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2003, 10:55:18 am »

If you use your iPod on more than 1 computer, will MC9 sync songs such that songs on the iPod which are not in the MC9 library will be copied to the HD? I know with iTunes when you sync it will just erase any song on the iPod which isn't in the library, so if you want to use the iPod to sync between 2 computers you'd either have to copy them to the HD prior to syncing or copy them to the iPod as data files, not songs, to avoid erasure during sync.

As for the discussion about ratings syncing, I think the suggestion of having a user selectable option is a good one. If the iPod doesn't store the last modified time, then the options would be keep highest rating, keep lowest rating, MC9 winds, iPod overwrites, iPod wins, and maybe use newest last played timed. Maybe the default would be MC9 wins which would make it consistent with iTunes behaviour, but it would be nice to have options. For example, I use a 1 star rating to tag corrupted or poorly encoded files so I'd prefer the lowest rating to win so I can always access the list of songs that need re-encoding.

Ric

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2003, 10:56:29 am »

My issues list is growing:

Issue 1:  After installing 2.1 I synchronized once successfully with the iPod which included my one AAC file.  I can see the file on the iPod but get kicked back to the main menu once I select that track.  After I ejected the iPod I then redocked it.  When I access the iPod through MC  (ie., to sync again), MC crashes every time and I cannot access the iPod again without reformatting it.  This is the third time this sequence has happened.

Issue 2:  Everytime I dock the iPod, iTunes launches then begins to analyze all 4300 tracks on the iPod.  I've looked through the options several times and see no indicator allowing me to summon iTunes only when I want it to and see no way to say my iPod is none of it's business.  

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2003, 11:14:58 am »

To stop iTunes saying hello when you dock your iPod you either need to:

1) Open iTunes with the iPod docked - you'll see an iPod options button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (there are a few square buttons here).  Choose this and you'll see an option in there to "Start iTunes automatically when iPod connected" or something similar, uncheck it.

2) In Windows go to control panel > administrative tools > services and disable the Ipod service in there.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2003, 11:15:13 am »

vph,

With issue 2, you have to open iTunes with your iPod docked. Once you do, click the iPod to select it (in the list at the left). When you do, you will get new buttons in the bottom-right corner of the iTunes window. One of these is the iPod Options button. In there you will be given the option to not auto-launch iTunes. Unfortunately, this means you will have to Restore the iPod and reintialize for MC, then resync. It takes time, but I think it's the only way to do it.

Hope this helps,

crow

**EDIT: Ah, someone beat me to it!!   :)
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2003, 11:56:22 am »

So, I was driving into work and I went to listen to my audiobook, and it was not there.. So now, allong with my playlists being going I am missing files.

When I got to the office I plugged in and looked at the hard drive. The files WERE there, they were just not showing up in the IPOD. So here are my questions

1) Is this some weird Itunes/MC/ipod issue? I have used Itunes with my ipod once (and it is still installed)
2) Is this a problem with ITunes being installed at all?? I dont like it automaticallly come up when I put the ipod in the cradle.

Do I just need to never use it again? (which is ok, I dont like it and I love media center)
Anything else?

Yes, the two don't get along well.  It sounds like a restore with the ipod updater, followed by an initialize for MC9 will fix this.  If you're not going to use Itunes, might as well delete it.  It can peacefully coexist with MC9, but you have to alter it to do so--when you install it, you basically have to turn all the options off, AND  follow the advice Martins post:

1) Open iTunes with the iPod docked - you'll see an iPod options button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (there are a few square buttons here).  Choose this and you'll see an option in there to "Start iTunes automatically when iPod connected" or something similar, uncheck it.

2) In Windows go to control panel > administrative tools > services and disable the Ipod service in there.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2003, 11:58:28 am »

While I personally understand some folks wanting to have customizable settings for Ratings, I really think we need to keep this simple.  iPod syncing w/MC9 is already fairly complicated when comparted to the competition.

We've already got "automated" solutions for Last Played and Playcounts (i.e. last play wins if it's later than MC9 and Playcounts increments always).  So it's really just ratings we're concerned about.

So, if we were able to agree on a rule (i.e MC9 wins) then we could put this puppy to bed.

And I know Kurt agrees with me, because we share the same brain.  Right Kurt?  :D :D

What do you all think about dynamic playlists?  I sure found them useful and handy to have.  If you haven't used them, might want to load up some w/iTunes and see how you like them.

Adam

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2003, 12:08:04 pm »

Quick question.
Would it be safe to say that Itunes and MediaCenter compatability needs a bit more time bedding in before I install Itunes? It seems there are quite a few compatability problems yet to be resolved.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2003, 12:16:49 pm »

No, you're fine installing Itunes now--just make sure you heed the advice on the boards here.  The problem isn't with MC9 getting along with Itunes, it's with Itunes not getting along with MC9--Itunes just tries to automatically take over anything to with the ipod--which is understandable.  You can turn these features off though.  I don't see Apple trying to make Itunes more compatable with MC9, and MC9 really isn't the problem when both are on you 'puter at the same time--it's truly not an issue with MC9, and I don't think Apple is ever going to make it any easier--why would they?

Veldrin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2003, 02:17:42 pm »

When you guys are playing with your AAC files, do the tags appear properly in MC?

If they don't, do they appear properly in the iPod after you've synced with MC?  If yuo change the tags in MC, does the iPod choose the MC tags or the iTunes tags?

kiwi

Mine don't show up in MC either and I have no idea if that's normal behavior or not.  So far the dev's haven't said anything on the subject, to the best of my knowledge. (hint hint)

vph

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2003, 02:41:16 pm »

When you guys are playing with your AAC files, do the tags appear properly in MC?

If they don't, do they appear properly in the iPod after you've synced with MC?  If yuo change the tags in MC, does the iPod choose the MC tags or the iTunes tags?

kiwi

When I load an AAC file into MC there are no tag values except for the track name.   When I load the track into the iPod the iPod displays nothing but the track name, even after I made my tag changes.  Of course, the iPod also just sits there and does nothing when I hit play on the AAC file.  

I've thought about throwing it (the iPod) on the floor to disprove the "there's no moving parts" theory, but realized the result of my tantrum may pretty much eliminate the need for any future iPod accessorizing which I so enjoy.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2003, 03:14:02 pm »

crowfan, cct1, Eugene, bdjohns1, vph

What type of file is it and what firmware are you running on iPod? I tested using .m4p purchased with iTunes on firmware 2.0.1 and they seem to play.

Jonny5,

thanks.

kiwi, Veldrin, vph

We are unable to read the tags from AAC files.

waltercr,

If you don't have MC 9.1.289, try getting it and then try reinitializing if you can. If you have not turned off the iTunes 'Open iTunes when attached' check box, please turn it off.

Ric,

If you have MC on two computers, synching iPod with both won't work. MC relies on unique IDs for the files and the two copies of MC will have different IDs.

vph,

Everyone has you covered.

Adam,

I am fine with during iPod to MC synch, defaulting to MC rating but this will result in iPod ratings never getting to MC.

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2003, 03:34:59 pm »

crowfan, cct1, Eugene, bdjohns1, vph

What type of file is it and what firmware are you running on iPod? I tested using .m4p purchased with iTunes on firmware 2.0.1 and they seem to play.

Steve,

It's an m4p files I bought off iTMS (Leonard Bernstein conducting Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue - hey, I figured a 16-minute song for $0.99 was a good bang for the buck).  I'm running firmware 2.1.  Exact behavior I see is:

* Song tags and sync over to the device just like an m4a file (which I have a couple dozen of that work)
* Select song to play - info pops up on the screen, hard drive spins to pull it up, I see duration info, then it kicks me right back to the menu or skips to the next song.

m4a files I've encoded myself using QTPro sync and play back on the iPod beautifully.

I can send my iTunesDB your way this evening, if it would be beneficial.

--Ben

SteveG

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2003, 03:46:16 pm »

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps try sending the file with iTunes one time. Then reinitialize iPod and send again with MC and see what happens. At some point today I saw what you are describing, and then it went away and I can successfully transfer a purchased file. I need to figure it out but must take off for the day. Will look more on Monday.

Steve

Veldrin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »

SteveG,

Are you unable to read the tags from AAC files in a technical sense, or a legal sense? (just curious)

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2003, 04:01:22 pm »

Steve,

I'm also running with firmware 2.1.  I didn't realize a WiPod could play AAC files prior to 2.1.  I assumed that was one of the enhancements to the new firmware.  Anyway, I know I was able to listen to iTunes .m4p files on my iPod when I synched with iTunes in the first days of iTunes for Windows being out.

Eugene

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2003, 04:19:13 pm »

Ditto for me; I'm using 2.1--I'll try it this weekend with 2.0.1.

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2003, 05:12:29 pm »

Replay Gain Question

When you select 'Apply Replay Gain' it sends over the Replay Gain so that all songs sound of similar volume on the iPOD, correct?

When you do it, in the view window of MC if you display the Replay Gain as a column do you see a number?  All I get are question marks. Is this as expected?  Should'nt the replay gain values be there?

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2003, 05:27:22 pm »

Steve,

I am using a 30 gig, 3G iPod with firmware 2.1...the songs are from iTMS, all with file type m4p...

I tried to do what you suggested above to Ben (send with iTunes, reinitialize in MC, send with MC) but couldn't. After transferring with iTunes, I undocked the iPod, and the songs played fine. When I redocked and opened MC, I right clicked the iPod drive letter in the tree, and got a Media Core error and MC closed (tested a number of times and this happened every time). The only way to get MC to see the iPod is to Restore the iPod, then reinitialize the iPod, then sync. But when I do that, the iPod skips over the m4p files.

Thanks,

crow

Veldrin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2003, 05:27:24 pm »

I believe the "?" means you need to use the "Analyze Audio" option... it should be under Tools->Advanced Tools

vph

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2003, 06:06:32 pm »

Steve -

Thanks for staying on this.

I am using a 30 gig iPod with firmware 2.1.  The song is (will buy more once I can get this to work) from iTunes of the m4p varietal.  

The behavior I experience follows crowfan's exactly.  Maybe our iPod's are channeling each other...

Had no idea about 2.0.1 either.  I'll give it a go, hopefully tonight.

VPH

waltercr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2003, 06:12:09 pm »

Ok.. My third post today, and it is even worse.

So after reading the boards I decided to nuke my ipod. Use the restore setting, then have MC initialize it, and put everything on again. I have the 2.1 firmware and a 40gb ipod.

So, I do this and copy all my stuff over. When It is docked and I look at my ipod through the media center interface, it is all good. Everything works.

However, when I undock my ipod and look at it there. I have NOTHING. Not some songs missing. ALL SONGS MISSING!

I reset the ipod. Still no go. I docked and went into media center, and I could see everything.

Now my ipod does not work at all!! Any ideas?

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2003, 06:20:14 pm »

Steve,

Just for fun  ;D, I Restored my iPod to 2.0.1, and sent just my three iTMS songs (m4p) to the iPod.  None of them played -- same problems as above, they skip right over.

Thanks,

crow

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:19 pm »

Adam,

I am fine with during iPod to MC synch, defaulting to MC rating but this will result in iPod ratings never getting to MC.

Steve:

Ah, now c'mon.  ;D  I obviously only meant that for songs where the rating was changed on both the iPod and in MC9.  In that case MC9 wins.  For all songs where the rating was NOT changed in MC9, then the iPod wins.

Make sense?

Perhaps I should put it into code:

CASE
WHEN MC9 Rating IsModified AND iPod Rating IsModified
THEN Rating = MC9 Rating
ELSE Rating  = iPod Rating
END

Sometimes you Engineer types are too much about 1's and 0's.  ;D ;D

OK, you gotta figure out the "IsModified" bit, but that's why you're a pro.  ;)

Adam

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2003, 06:50:59 pm »

waltercr:

Right-click the iPod in MC9, select Rebuild iPod Database.  Then do a sync.  All should be back there.

The rebuild will take about 5 minutes or so but it's much quicker than a Restore.

Adam

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2003, 07:01:13 pm »

I believe the "?" means you need to use the "Analyze Audio" option... it should be under Tools->Advanced Tools

That's the thing, (I forgot to mention it), all the audio has been analyzed.  When viewed in the Media Library the replay gain numbers all show up, but when viewed in the iPOD window, they all show up as ?

Media Library Window:

iPOD Window:

Veldrin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2003, 07:37:16 pm »

Oh, I see what you mean.  Mine does the same thing, but the Replay Gain settings still appear to be working even though the iPod doesn't show the values.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2003, 12:06:24 am »

Steve:

Still running into disappearing Playlist problems.  What I did tonight:

Sync'd iPod (had sync to MC9 checked)
Changed a bunch of Genres, deleted some files from my Library
Sync'd again w/o "sync to MC9 checked" and had no playlists

To resolve I:

Rebuilt iPod Database
Sync'd (w/o "sync to MC9 checked") and all was there.

Something's funky....

Adam

vph

• Recent member
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2003, 12:24:52 am »

Steve -

I also restored my iPod to 2.0.1 and also had the same results as before.

Thanks,
VPH

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2003, 01:05:41 am »

Steve,

I am using a 30 gig, 3G iPod with firmware 2.1...the songs are from iTMS, all with file type m4p...

I tried to do what you suggested above to Ben (send with iTunes, reinitialize in MC, send with MC) but couldn't. After transferring with iTunes, I undocked the iPod, and the songs played fine. When I redocked and opened MC, I right clicked the iPod drive letter in the tree, and got a Media Core error and MC closed (tested a number of times and this happened every time). The only way to get MC to see the iPod is to Restore the iPod, then reinitialize the iPod, then sync. But when I do that, the iPod skips over the m4p files.

Steve,

I tried...same behavior as Crow.  Had to restore the iPod.  

However, I stumbled into the "Perimeter of Wisdom" (a zone known to Calvinball players  :) )

Here's the sequence I performed...

1) Restore iPod to 2.1 firmware
2) Launch iTunes
3) Sync over a purchased m4p song (I'd guess you could sync more, but you need at least 1 purchased song)
4) Exit iTunes
5) Fire up MC9, initialize iPod
6) Create a playlist for m4p files (all 1 of them I have), and sync it over.
7) Unmount - Now the song plays correctly - but it reports a length of 16:27 when I synced it from iTunes, and 16:28 when I synced from MC9

Just to check that it wasn't a fluke, I purchased one more song and loaded it on through MC9.  Still working...

Then, I decided to sync over a couple other smartlists.  Bad news happening.  All playlists were gone.  Reinitialize and reload the playlists (1 iTMS song, 2 3-hour random smartlists).  Working.  Add back another iTMS song and another couple playlists.  All playlists gone again.  

Then I tried Adam's rebuild DB/resync trick, but still no love.  It appears the problem manifests itself for me anytime I add/remove a protected AAC file to/from the iPod.

So, we're kind of working, but it ain't pretty.  

--Ben

AZ_JazzyJ

• Recent member
  • Is there anything cooler than baseball?
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2003, 02:01:56 am »

I am still having trouble syncing with my 2G 20 GB iPod.  It will sync the songs that are MP3 just fine but I have 3 CDs that I burned using APE.  Some of these songs are in Smartlists that sync to the iPod.  When I attempt to sync, MC will begin the transfer.  When it gets to one of these .APE files, MC just closes.  No error message, no nothing, just closes.  I have the options on the Sync set to:
  • Delete unselected files from portable (checked)
  • Sync data to MC (unchecked)
  • Normalize files 100% (checked)
  • Force fine conversion during uploads (checked)
  • Encoder: MP3 Encoder (although I have tried other encoders as well such as MP3 Encoder VBR)
  • Quality 192
  • MP3 Encoder Options High Quality
  • Skip files of selected encoder type (checked)

This has been happening for the past several (at least 10) builds.  Since I just tried the APE ripping, these files have not been in my sync list very long so I am not sure how long ago this problem began.  My system info is:

Media Center Registered 9.1.289 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1716 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   D:\My Documents\My Music\Sound Effects\EXCELNT.wav

Burning /  Drive E: AOPEN    CD-RW CRW2440      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:No
  Drive F: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R1202   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Does anyone have any suggestions other than converting the APE files to MP3 before syncing?  I was toying with ripping all my files in APE for lossless archival but after this issue with syncing with the iPod I am rethinking that idea.

Jeff

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2003, 08:44:00 am »

I've been trying to sync since yesterday and none of my playlists are making it to the iPod, and about half of the songs, at least, are missing. I was able to get all of the playlists and songs back by rebuilding the database today. Wish I had tried that last night. :(

Bill McNair

TimB

Windows 98?
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2003, 09:55:25 am »

I have a friend with Win98.

Does MC9.1 play nicely with iPods under Win98, if so is 98SE required?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

wanderso11740

• nothing more to say...
Error Dialog when using MC9 and IPOD
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2003, 06:22:37 pm »

I am running 9.1.289 and when I connect my IPOD and run MC I get an error dialog box that has a red x, a title of h.... an ok button and no actual text indicating the error.  Anybody have a clue of what this means.  

I cannot see any of the files on the IPOD either although the folders show.  Periodically MC Core abends and MC shuts down.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2003, 07:23:29 pm »

Tim, I don't think that Windows 98 can handle firewire... I think that the firewire update for 98 is for 98SE only.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2003, 11:01:24 pm »

wanderso11740:

Your iPod database is corrupt.

If you can, right-click the iPod and select Rebuild iPod Database.  After that, resync.

If you can't even rebuild the iPod database, launch the Apple Updater program and Restore the iPod.  Then launch MC9, right-click the iPod and select "Initialize iPod".

You should be good to go.

STEVE:

Further update on disappearing playlists bug.  I played some tunes today on the iPod.  Connected, sync'd w/Update MC checked.  No playlists. I didn't do anything but play the iPod and sync.

Sorry, I wish I could have more info for ya....

Running .289 btw.

Adam

bellipod

• Recent member
  • iPod rocks!
Multiple Artist problems
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2003, 01:53:35 am »

I just downloaded MC 9.1.281 and reformatted my iPod with software 1.3.  Unfortunately, when I sync'd it, every artist on a compilation disc (i.e. - Ken Burns Jazz discs) showed up as "Multiple Artist" on the iPod, even though in my media library I have all of the correct artists listed.  WHY?  Before (with MC 9.0.128), the iPod listed the actual artist (even with software 1.3), but not anymore........

Suggestions?

TimB

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2003, 05:43:08 am »

Tim, I don't think that Windows 98 can handle firewire... I think that the firewire update for 98 is for 98SE only.
Thanks Kurt! :)

So 98SE and MC9.1 and iPod all play nicely together?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2003, 07:26:44 am »

Can you try the latest build?  It's available in thread here at the top.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2003, 08:27:27 am »

bellipod,

Before syncing, you have to right click the iPod drive letter and use the Select Artist Field. I think (?) it's set to Album Artist (Auto) by default -- you'll want to change it to Artist. Once you change it, I believe it should stay changed.

Hope this helps

crow

bellipod

• Recent member
  • iPod rocks!
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2003, 05:47:44 pm »

Thanks crowfan, it works perfectly!  Now if Apple would only fix the bugs in the 1.3 software!

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2003, 07:22:28 pm »

hey steve, i am having a minor problem with the playcount syncing. if i hook up my ipod and do a "sync ipod info to MC" everything works fine and all playcounts are updated in mc and all set back to 0 on the iPod. however if you restart MC and unmount and remount the iPod the playcounts that i had already synced were there again in addition to any new playcounts i had acquired. the only way it wipes out the old playcount info is if you do a complete ipod sync, which i usually only do every few days. this has been happening for about a week but i just noticed it recently.has anyone else noticed this? btw i am using ipod 2.1 and mc 9.1.286
---------

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2003, 08:34:10 pm »

Did anyone ever figure out why music downloaded from iTMS don't have the tag information in MC9?  Mine only have song title.  Hopefully we don't have to add this tag info by ourselves.  Also I was afraid to change the tag info because I didn't know if it would somehow mess with the security features built into the files.  I apologize if this has been covered before, I didn't see it mentioned.  I did see some info about the file structure being different for iTunes than what most people use.

Thanks
Tim

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2003, 12:46:19 am »

Anything else?

Yes, the two don't get along well.  It sounds like a restore with the ipod updater, followed by an initialize for MC9 will fix this.  If you're not going to use Itunes, might as well delete it.  It can peacefully coexist with MC9, but you have to alter it to do so--when you install it, you basically have to turn all the options off, AND  follow the advice Martins post:

I have unistalled iTunes as I don't intend to use it and am still having sync problems, all of which are described by others.

I checked Control Panel>AdminTools>Services and iPOD serrvice is still there.

Is it just iTunes related?
Is it OK to delete it? There doesn't seem to be a disable option.

francelonian

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2003, 05:52:03 am »

Hi folks,

MC crashes whenever I try to sync to my iPod with "Force file conversion" checked.  I'm using build .289, and I have the latest firmware for the iPod.

I have otherwise had no trouble syncing.  All my files are mp3s, but I generally rip to high quality VBR or to at least 192, and I want to convert to 128 or 160 for the iPod.

Any ideas? ?

SteveG

« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2003, 02:39:31 pm »

Everyone,

Regarding purchased iTunes m4p files, we need to try to narrow the problem down. Running MC 9.1.289, I nstalled 2.1 firmware and initialized my iPod from MC. I opened iTunes and purchased Simon and Garfunkel's 'I am a Rock'. I imported it into MC and then transferred it to iPod via drag and drop where it successfully played. I then created a playlist and added the track to it and synched the playlist. Again, no problem.

For anyone with problems, please try to follow as closely to the test above as you can and let me know the results so that I can begin to figure out where the problem is. If there is a track that you purchased that fails, let me know and I will try with your track.

In regards to disappearing playlists on the iPod (even though they appear in MC) , I found a problem that got introduced during trying to figure out .mp4 playback. Please get the next build (9.1.290)and hopefully all will be well

Veldrin,

We do not have a way to open the files to read the tags (techinical I guess but underlying Apple legal issue).

Snuffy2,

The question marks result because iPod does not technically handle Replay Gain. In order to get it to work, I have to approximate the values and convert them into a scale iPod understands. This scale is somewhat arbitrary and the number is not useful for much.

Willrmc,

This is fixed in 9.1.289, but why don't you wait and get 9.1.290 and then try again.

Tim,

We don't have tag information because we can not open the songs purchased through iTunes to retrieve it.

Francelonian and Jeff,

I cannot duplicate either of these reports. Can either of you send me a file you know causes the crash for me to test? (steve @ jriver.com)

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2003, 03:30:58 pm »

We don't have tag information because we can not open the songs purchased through iTunes to retrieve it.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to pry this information out of QT when you load the file?

Also, what about non-purchased songs encoded in iTunes? And/or quicktime?

kiwi

SteveG

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2003, 04:53:01 pm »

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to pry this information out of QT when you load the file?

No. Sorry.

what about non-purchased songs encoded in iTunes? And/or quicktime?

Same deal.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2003, 08:00:24 pm »

Steve,

Here is my process….

A few days ago, I purchased three songs from iTunes: “The Boys of Summer” by The Ataris, “Amie (Non LP Version)” by Counting Crows, and “She Don’t Want Nobody Near” by Counting Crows.  iTunes automatically placed them in an iTunes folder, so I moved them to the My Music folder. I played them in iTunes and they sounded fine. I imported them into MC (always using the latest build), and retagged them (just filled in the Artist and Albums fields). They played fine.

Today, since your post, I deleted the iTMS songs from my library, then reimported them (from Windows Explorer, I right clicked > Media Center > Import) and retagged them again. Then I Updated the iPod from firmware version 2.0.1 to 2.1, then I performed a Restore. After the Restore, I opened MC 9.1.290 and Initialized the iPod. Once initialized, I clicked Handheld in the Action window, and dragged all three songs to the Action Window. I then synced just those 3 songs. I ejected the iPod from within MC and tried to play the 3 songs.  All 3 songs were skipped over, and I was sent back to the main menu.  I then redocked the iPod and created a smartlist with the definition of File Type: m4p. I synced that smartlist only, then ejected the iPod from within MC.  When I played the playlist, all three songs skipped over and I was returned to the main menu again.

Hope this can help you narrow it down. I’ll try to test when I can this week, but I had a death in the family and won’t be around much. Good luck with it and thanks for trying so hard with this.

crow

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2003, 10:43:18 pm »

hey steve, i thought i would throw my 2 cents in regarding the ratings syncing. i think adam and kurt are on to the right idea. if the rating has been changed in MC since the last sync then use the MC rating and if not, use the iPod rating. i went through the other night on MC and rated and re-rated a bunch of albums and not thinking, when i synced my iPod the next time i had the data to MC button checked and it wiped out all of my ratings i changed. that sucks. so i think this idea will solve these problems. thanks!
 :)
---------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up