INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permanently Deleting Default Playlists  (Read 2814 times)

ZenUser

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Permanently Deleting Default Playlists
« on: October 22, 2003, 01:42:55 am »

Would it be impossible to allow for the ddefault plalists to be permantly deleted?  And on the same idea, how about allowing us to delete the other options we may not use, TV Tuner, Web Media, etc.

If it is not possible to deletem them for some reason, how about adding an option to display/hide only the ones we want to use,  I have no use for annything not directly related to my MP3 library, and I think it would be nice to have the ability to have the left tree pane as clean and simplified as the user would like.

I hope this gets added in future builds.

phelt

Re:Permanently Deleting Default Playlists
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 03:27:53 pm »

With regard to the items that you don't use, I believe there is likely to be a music-only version soonish. That might be a solution for you.

With regard to the default playlists, I agree completely that they should be permanently removable. For me they are mainly a bunch of clutter - I might wind up keeping a few, but I don't like that they come back upon each new install. Heh, I don't even like the auto-switch to "Recently Imported" upon import.

I would say the same about skins - I'm not thrilled that skins that I will _never_ use always get reinstalled.

But I doubt that these things will be addressed soon, if ever. My impression is that J River currently have a lot of irons in the fire, and are focused primarily on stability and functional issues, as well as the launch/implementation of of some mystery features/services. So maybe in the next version (the developer's mantra).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 03:33:02 pm »

You can erase stock playlists in MC 9.1 and they stay gone.

(however, a few like "Recent Rips" and "Recent Playing Nows" get rebuilt as you use the program)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phelt

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 04:13:00 pm »

Hey Matt,

I'll check this out in the newest build. They've always been recreated so far... which build changed this?

Also, is it possible that all default playlists get reintroduced if "Recent Rips" and "Recent Playing Nows" are not found upon install? NM, I will find out soon.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 04:41:01 pm »

No, only if you erase all playlists are the default recreated.

This changes sometime in the last few weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 02:58:23 am »

If we have a 'recent playing now' can we not also PLEASE have a 'burnt CD's' playlist group that saves each CD we burn as a playlist automatically??

Pretty please???

phelt

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 02:33:56 pm »

If we have a 'recent playing now' can we not also PLEASE have a 'burnt CD's' playlist group that saves each CD we burn as a playlist automatically??

Pretty please???
Heh, nice thread hijack...
Why would one want/need this? For me, this would just be one more thing to delete  ;)

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 02:59:25 pm »

Why would one want/need this? For me, this would just be one more thing to delete  ;)
I'd like it... so if I made a mix and decided I really liked it, I could make a second copy of it...

and/or if I decided to print out cd label/cover info later, I could do it.

kiwi

Drowbe

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 03:36:04 pm »

I think it should be an option. I am constantly giving away cds because someone likes the mix...it would be great to be able go back and burn another copy.  However, there is nothing as frustrating as a menu/tree/toolbar cluttered with things you don't use.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 03:58:58 pm »

Thanks for making it permanent when we delete the Auto Smartlist groups.  I remember someone asking for this a long time ago, and I'm very happy that it's in.  

The behaviour of the "Burned CDs" "Recent Playing Nows" groups and the "Recently Ripped" and "Recently Imported" smartlists are just fine the way they are.  They're all gone when I restart MC, but create themselves just in case I want to copy out of them.  Well done on the whole thing.

Cheers, guys!

iPod 2.0.1, MC 9.1.280
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ZenUser

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 07:57:20 pm »

Just returning this ON TOPIC, since we have not gotten an official JRiver reply.

Is there a way to make an option to view/hide items in the left tree view?  So that those of us that only use MC9 for music files can get rid of all superfluous items, such as TV stuff?

Thanks

Omni

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 08:04:18 pm »

Just returning this ON TOPIC, since we have not gotten an official JRiver reply.

Is there a way to make an option to view/hide items in the left tree view?  So that those of us that only use MC9 for music files can get rid of all superfluous items, such as TV stuff?

Not in this thread, but they officially answered that a long time ago.  I think the official answer was "no."  ;)

We'll just have to wait for MediaJukebox 9.0.

Besides, I'm an audio-only user like you (at least for the moment), and I have been using MC for almost a year now.  It's not like the video stuff gets in the way or anything, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.  Soon you won't notice it being there anymore like me.

Omni

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 08:39:56 pm »

Well, I was using MC9 only for music for the longest time, and I would have wanted to delete all the other stuff.

Then one day I accidentally pointed MC9 at my photos directory and imported a bunch of them. I have all my photos organized in directories, so I thought, what the heck, backed up my library and updated properties from the file path. Which worked beautifully. The image tagging features work really well - not quite like Adobe's album, but better than a lot of image managers. It turned out to be *really* quick and easy to assign moods & genres to large batches of pictures, and therefore create slides shows which match with music.

So I decided to try it for videos and it worked really well too.

The web radio, even in it's current primitive state, is OK.

I still haven't found a use for TV, and since I don't have any TV hardware maybe that option should just go away.

However, a lot of stuff that I initially thought was superfluous has turned out to be really quite handy. Give it a try. Some of those auto-smartlists turn out to be really useful, and they're a good library of examples. Throw them in a smartlist group and ignore them, but you may one day find it useful to refer back to them.

However, the general idea of controlling which items in the tree are visible is a good one - maybe linked to the party mode to create a super-simple interface.

ZenUser

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 12:36:06 am »

Well, I'm glad a lot of people have found a use for the extra stuff, that's why it's there after all :)

I was just asking for the CHOICE and OPTION to hide them away.  I don't see how this in any way affects those people who do use these features.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know JRiver has already said no to this.  Guess that's why no one officially posted here.

Topic Locked
Pages: [1]   Go Up