INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Usage while changing volume  (Read 898 times)

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
CPU Usage while changing volume
« on: October 24, 2003, 07:49:36 pm »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or has the same problem, but when I adjust the volume of Media Center it can sometimes use as much as 60% cpu, even under full load (running cpu benchmark in sisoft sandra).
I have a 2.8 GHz P4 running at 3.4 GHz, so this is a lot of processing power it is using.
Anyone else get this?
to test, bring up task manager and watch the cpu usage of Media Center while dragging the volume back and forth.

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Re:CPU Usage while changing volume
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 05:03:03 am »

Just tested this (quite easy to do) and using neoTropic view template my CPU goes up to 46% utilisation under normal load when dragging the volume bar.

However, when using 'Blade' mini-me it only goes up to 16% while dragging its volume bar. So the skin being used obviously is a variable. Of course with the overhead of the moving graphics on neoTropic, it will take more CPU cycles to display.

I think the reason you're seeing such a high value (60%) may be due to the other programs you are running at the same time and would expect that to be normal CPU behaviour. Isn't that the reason they suggest that you don't run any applications or move the mouse while running benchmarks? My 0.02 cents.

Kwake

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
Re:CPU Usage while changing volume
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 03:15:38 pm »

I just had a go with a different skin (Lower right) and got the same result. It does vary somewhat and may take a few movements to get it that high.

I really doubt that it is the graphics causing the slowdown, I have no doubt that 60% of my cpu will play a game of Half Life quiet happily in software mode so I don't see how an image moving would cause this.  ;)

I think the reason they say dont move the mouse while running a benchmark is so you do not use up any of the resources in what you are doing thus reducing the benchmark result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up