INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Debugging plugins  (Read 1974 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Debugging plugins
« on: October 29, 2003, 08:12:23 am »

I'm trying to track down some issues with KingSparta's "Cover Art Finder".  King was gracious enough to send me his code.  Problem is, I can't get DevStudio (VB 6.0) to attach to MC.  I run the ocx inside the VB debugger with "Wait for Components to Be Created" in the debugging properties, and when I run MC9, it never loads the object.  I get "Interface plug-in Cover Art Finder could not be found or created".  If I don't try to attach the debugger, it works fine.  King's code was based on the BusyBox plugin sample, and I'd assume that the same problem exists with BusyBox.

I've done other "out of proc" VB com objects like this before (Outlook plugins, IIS Web Classes"), and haven't seen this problem.  I have seen this question asked here several times before, with no resolution, other than Matt saying it should work (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=15589;start=msg106177#msg106177).

A lot of great work has been done on plugin development, and the fact that nobody seems to had the benefit of using a debugger with all the plugin development done so far impresses me even more.  But, surely it would be worth it for someone at J River to look into this.  Plugin developers would be about 1000 times more productive if they could use a debugger.  I'd be happy to try, I don't know what I can do - without the benefit of MC9's source, I'm shooting in the dark.

Thanks!

- Dave

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Re:Debugging plugins
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 09:18:27 am »

I couldn't get it to work ages ago so that's why I wrote a mini MC emulator which enabled me to trace down issues with the VB version of AlbumView.

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 09:56:55 am »

I'm writing in C++, but to find problems in my code, I just add asserts or hard crashes, run MC until it hits one of my breaks and then hook up the debugger to the process - I don't get code or symbols for MC, but my plugins code is fine.

Not as easy as starting in the debugger, but it isn't that hard.

However, I don't use VB, so I can't say whether this would work for you or not.

-JeffreyK

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 10:21:04 am »

Jeffrey:

I'm a C++ guy, too - and I agree that that's one of the beauties of C++.  Unfortunately, the code I'm working with is VB, so that doesn't help.

Rhino - could you elaborate on the MC emulator?  Is it available?  Is it something that would help me?

Another thing I'm thinking is that, for testing, I could just change the code to reference MC out of proc, by creating an MC object, instead of expecting it to be passed in, in proc.  Wouldn't that work?

In any case, it still seems like the VB debugging should work fine, as Matt said.  Did he ever look into this?  Matt - you there?

- Dave

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 11:47:55 am »

RhinoBanga

I gave him My Album Finder VB Source Code

he is trying to figure out how to tweek\fix it
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 03:16:26 pm »

I'm writing in C++, but to find problems in my code, I just add asserts or hard crashes, run MC until it hits one of my breaks and then hook up the debugger to the process - I don't get code or symbols for MC, but my plugins code is fine.

Not as easy as starting in the debugger, but it isn't that hard.

However, I don't use VB, so I can't say whether this would work for you or not.

-JeffreyK

Why are you doing all of that to debug with C++?   I just run MC as my debug executable in DevStudio and it hits my breakpoints just fine.

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 10:48:05 am »

I do that as well, but the first time hookup is a lot easier by letting VC set everything up.

-JeffreyK
Pages: [1]   Go Up