INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: very slow tagging....  (Read 2652 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
very slow tagging....
« on: October 28, 2003, 03:12:44 am »

hi guys! :)

Does any one know why when tagging more then one song the tagging takes forever....im just intrested in changing groups of 10 or so songs togheter as albums but every time i have to wait 2-3 minutes  ::) ? for music center (9.1 .289) for the saving tag changes , any idea guys? thx alot in advance

Zeltak

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Re:very slow tagging....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 05:28:47 am »

what format are u using? Ogg, mp3, ape or?

I know that when I am tagging Ogg, it takes about 4 times as long then it takes to tag ape.
Don't Panic!

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 05:32:47 am »

hi
im using mp3 for taging right now im tagging 527 files and its taking aprox 3.5 hours!! is that normal???
thx in advance
Zeltak

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 05:55:19 am »

Are the mp3-files (and the MC-library) on a local drive or on a network drive?

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 06:00:31 am »

hi the mp3 files are in a network computer but in i had them not long ago as local files and it still was very slow, though im not sure this slow, it a bit absurd  :P  ;D. still even if it is a network drive 3.5 hours tro wait for a bunch of files (500) is still alot :) is that normal?

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 06:04:49 am »

nope it is not normal.

try and check and see whether your files are read-only?

if they are read-only try checking that off.

also i would assume that you have given full access to ur network drive .
Don't Panic!

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 06:29:11 am »

first of all thx for the help guys  ;D!

now the files are not read only and i do have full acsses to them, though they are sitting in a linux based computer, maybe thats a prob? anyway thx in adavnce again for yor help

Zeltak

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 06:54:06 am »

I haven't done large (500 mp3s) groups of files but I can tell you when I import a new album and want to change some tags it does that a few minutes for those changes (2+) and I can't do anything else in Media Center when that is happening.  This is often a problem when I want to, for instance, turn down the volume of a track playing or change mp3s which I'm listening to.  Seems like forever until I can access the program again while the tag changes are taking place!!

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 07:13:34 am »

I haven't done large (500 mp3s) groups of files but I can tell you when I import a new album and want to change some tags it does that a few minutes for those changes (2+) and I can't do anything else in Media Center when that is happening.  This is often a problem when I want to, for instance, turn down the volume of a track playing or change mp3s which I'm listening to.  Seems like forever until I can access the program again while the tag changes are taking place!!

Well that doesn't happen to me or lots of others so it would help if you tell us a bit about your system so we can establish what the key differences are.  Like:
Where are the files located?
If on a network tell us more about the server and connection.
What is your system spec (Use system info from MC help and paste here).
Do you save tag changes inside files?
Are the files read only?

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 07:45:48 am »

hmm maybe the problem is with samba.

i have no idea. haven't got any type of setup that resemble that. can you try copying a bunch of files over to your pc and see how fast is the network?

just a suggestion.
Don't Panic!

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 08:41:41 am »

The files are located on an internal hard drive (F:)
Regarding tagging...do I save tag changes inside files:  I think so.  I'm sorry for my ignorance but I don't see how to set this.  I'm fairly certain this is what happens though because I see changes when I open files with other programs or on handheld.  Is my assumption correct?

Folders were read only.  I didn't realize folder was set this way.  I changed it and this seems to have solved the problem!

Media Center Registered 9.1.290 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2990 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 471 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD+RW ND-1100A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 02:16:23 pm »

i have the same slow tagging problems yet my folders are not read only. i guess its a diffrent problem  :-[

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 02:39:09 pm »

Folders were read only.  I didn't realize folder was set this way.  I changed it and this seems to have solved the problem!

I was curious and just checked the folders that contain my music... They are all of them "read only" folders and I'm sure I did not set them that way on purpose! I checked other folders in my computer and realized that almost all of them are "read only".  

I have unchecked the read only thing and I would say that tagging goes faster now.

Does anybody know whether Windows XP is setting all folders by default as "read only"? And if so, why? May I experience any unexpected problem by unchecking that setting other than apparently improving the performance?

What is clear is that, even in a "read only" folder, all the files can be modified... what gives?

-------
Listening to: 'Fine Line' from 'Live At Tipitina's' by 'Anders Osborne' on Media Center 9.1

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 02:51:34 pm »

I have the same question Deivit.  I did not set the folders to be read only.  I have unchecked the read only option.  I asked that this be for all folders in this folder.  Every time I check it's back to read only!  

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 03:22:30 pm »

I have the same question Deivit.  I did not set the folders to be read only.  I have unchecked the read only option.  I asked that this be for all folders in this folder.  Every time I check it's back to read only!  

Weird... mine too!!  :)  Perhaps a more experienced user will give us an explanation.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 04:16:56 pm »

You guys all have your main user accounts set to administrative level...correct? Try logging in as administrator formally, then change the read-only attribute. Folders can inherit attributes from their parents, so go clear back (shouldn't need to check the root of the drive...but for the hell of it, check it out).

10-27

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 05:35:22 pm »

Even as administrator I continue to see this behavior.  Found this in Windows Knowledgebase:

"By default in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), if you click the Sharing tab of the Properties dialog box for the folder, and then share the folder for other users to access over the network, the folder has permissions that give everyone read-only access. In versions of Windows XP that are earlier than SP1, if you share folders by using the Sharing tab of the Properties dialog box, the folder has default permissions that gives everyone full control."

geoelectric

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 07:44:41 pm »

I think the read-only checkbox being a filled square actually means that it's not used.  I think you only get to set folder write permissions if you turn off simple security (it's in the folder options off the tools menu).  I'm unsure, though--this isn't well-documented at all.

Check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326549

You may have to cut and paste--the webboard doesn't parse the link right.

geoelectric

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 07:53:50 pm »

Further experimentation bears this out.  I think the interface is there solely because you can use it to change the read-only status of all files within it.  It doesn't actually do anything to the folders themselves.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 02:56:29 am »

hi guys!  ::)

So ive changed my hub to a switch and now i habe a 100base network, tried changing all of ,my read only files on my linux drive (though couldnt becasue linux dosent have read onbly options...). and even after all that the tagging is still really really slow (about 2-3 minutes for tagging 12 mp3 files...) in my local window hard drive the problem dosent exsist...so i guess its the linux or network (even though i upgraded my network to 100base. any ideas guys?

thx
Zeltak :)

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 07:10:55 am »

You know I still have the problem also!  I have made sure the files aren't read-only.  I did see that the main file properties keep showing "read-only", (even after changing it with Microsoft directions to use cmd.exe and the proper commands)   but when I go deeper, to each folder and each MP3, they are not read-only.  So I don't think this is the problem.

drierp

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 11:20:21 am »

I'm having the same slowness issues, and I'm pretty sure the faults are in MC9's hands..  

Setup:

server --> win2k server, ~500gb disks, 512mb ram, dual p3-1k, gigabit network
client--> winxp pro, 1gb ram, gigabit network, p4-2.8k, gigabit network

The network isn't in the way, I've done 30MBps transfers in testing before between the two machines (generated from ram, the disks aren't that fast).   The disks the majority of my files are on can sustain 3MBps or better (e.g., copying files with explorer, verified with network analyzer)

In testing with iTunes and changing tag versions of files that didn't previously have 2.x tags, I've seen iTunes hit the 4-5MBps range, on both reading and writing, again verified at the network level.  

Now with MC9 (290 is my latest) I'm lucky to see 1MBps.  utilization on both machines is near zero, and while the disk io on the server is measureable, it's not the limiting factor.

Also..  From what I can tell, the way that MC9 writes 2.x tags (on mp3 files), it rewrites the entire file when there is a tag change.  It doesn't always seem to do this, but it does it more often than other programs performing similar actions..  

I can understand the safety reasons in copying the entire file when a tag is first prepended to a file, but there should be an additional buffer built in at that point in time to accomidate future tag changes (re: ID3 recomendations, id3.org).  Is MC9 including a buffer when it adds / alters a tag?  My gut answer given it's behavior is either no, or one that is too small.  The recomendation is to round up to the next block size (or double the current size again rounded, whichever is greater).  

Does anyone have any thoughts?  I'd prefer to continue to use MC9, but given the size of my collection and the number of >100MB mp3's I have, I'm really not that patient when I make tag changes..  I'm implying that other applications are faster.

Thanks,
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up