INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can mc9 rip a copy protected cd?  (Read 2475 times)

7_cats

• Recent member
  • this is the modern world that i've heard about...
can mc9 rip a copy protected cd?
« on: October 31, 2003, 02:44:08 pm »

so i go to a concert the other night--a group called the Tiger Lillies, from England, and buy a copy of their new cd (even get it autographed :)

i figured i'll rip it to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.

not so fast....when i tried to do that, i saw that mc9 didnt even see any music files, but instead there was what looked like a small application that would playt eh songs on my pc.  well, that's swell, but my pc is way too big to carry around ;)

any ideas on how to do this?  i do NOT pirate, and use mc9 to rip/sync the cds that i buy, only.  the goal is to be able to rip the songs to mp3; even if i have to use a 3d party program, i figure i can still import into mc9

thanks kids!
some smooth chords, on the car radio....

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:can mc9 rip a copy protected cd?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:47:57 pm »

That's generally how the Japanese copy protect their CD's and I've never had a problem ripping them in my DVD Rom drive with MC9. If you have one try it, or if you have another CD-RW or CD Rom drive then try that one as well, but generally DVD Rom drives work the best.

Bill McNair

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:04:10 pm »

I've heard (in certain) cases that holding the Shift key down on CD insertion can keep programs that may be on the disk from running, which could block access. Worth a try.

10-27

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 04:58:33 pm »

The ability to read copy protected CD is HIGHLY dependant on your CD/DVD drive!
Some copy protections are based on mixed data/audio CD, sometimes with some erronous data track (to trick the drive into NOT reading any further sectors).
Thus, some drive are clever enough to keep reading, some not...

Exemple given: I had one CD that was *absolutely* unreadable on my Yamaha CD-RW 2100 (though ususally a pretty good ripper) while my much older LiteON allowed to play (and rip) the CD without any problem. This CD was protected with an extra erronous data track, which you could see with the right lighting as a very thin extra track at the end of the sound tracks.
Great piece of soft, guys!

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 06:39:46 pm »

I had 2 emi disks that I couldn't do anything with.
I read somewere that Plextor cd drives do not recognise the protection, I tried it out and bam... Perfect copy.
-

7_cats

• Recent member
  • this is the modern world that i've heard about...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 10:13:32 am »

ok, i tried it on my lite-on dvd and IT WORKED!!!!  i had to upload the songs to YADB, but hoo hoo!
some smooth chords, on the car radio....

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »

>> can mc9 rip a copy protected cd?
yes but you must take it out of the protective case or sleeve first.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

fex

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 05:31:53 pm »

I've heard (in certain) cases that holding the Shift key down on CD insertion can keep programs that may be on the disk from running, which could block access. Worth a try. ...

Will not work in Europe. They have a few years experience here with this... ;)

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 02:41:43 am »

Sounds like you've got a "copy-controlled" disc.
The protection they use (a version of Cactus Data Shield)  actually makes the disc non red-book compliant, which is why you wont find a Phillips Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on it anywhere. It works by writing the audio to the first session of the disc, which audio players read, then writing a second session with an invalid table of contents, which is what pc-cdrom's pick up. It also messes with the cd's (although it's not called a cd anymore) error-correction codes, which in reality means that the disc is less scratch resistant.
A lot newer CD drives can figure out the real TOC and read the audio tracks, however, older ones just get confused with it. My Samsung 308E CDRW/DVD combo couldnt rip it in MC, but I tried a program called Feurio which can work out the real table of contents in software, but it's still dependent in the end on your hardware. For instance, although I could read the audio, I got a very audible pop in the first 9 seconds of the track.
Also, new high-quality CD drives like those from Plextor have problems reading them for a number of reasons. For example, Plextor like to be an ethical company (fair enough) and so supports hardware copy protection.
This really sucks for people like me, who have their computer hooked up to a high quality sound system and dont own an actual stand alone audio cd player.

Try googling "copy controlled" and you'll get a whole bunch more info.

Scott.

ps. when buying, look out for the copy-controlled logo.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 05:34:53 am »

I've managed to copy every copy-controlled CD I own, using the following two steps:

- Find a program that allows you to read the disc in "single session" mode.  As per the post above, this basically fools the PC into reading the disc like a regular CD player would and as a result it doesn't see all the extra stuff on the disc that's designed to fool it.  There are a few programs out there that do this.  For my Plextor drive, the later versions of PlexTools had this option and that's what I use.  There are also freeware equivalents (but don't ask me what they are!)

- Rip the CD at 1x speed in MC.  For some reason, copying protected CDs at full speed tends to leave a gap in sound about eight or nine seconds in to each track.  I have no idea why.  But running at 1x speed does the trick.

Alternatively, download the tracks off the net.  You've PAID for the darn music; why shouldn't you be able to listen to the tracks in the manner of your choosing?  FWIW, I do not and never have pirated music, but I do expect to be able to at least transfer my very expensive CDs to my iPod so I can actually listen to the things.

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 07:58:21 am »

ok, i tried it on my lite-on dvd and IT WORKED!!!!  i had to upload the songs to YADB, but hoo hoo!

That's the same DVD drive that I use.

Bill McNair
Pages: [1]   Go Up