INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-rip feature (ter) - I found a way !  (Read 1032 times)

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
Re-rip feature (ter) - I found a way !
« on: November 01, 2003, 08:11:37 am »

Through my last 2 posts on the subject, it seemed that some of us (me included) wished for the feature to exist while not having found any (quick and/or dirty) way to achieve the same goal: re-rip tracks (update file) without changing database fields, except those related to file type and bitrate.

Eventually, I found a (very dirty) method:

0. (optional) Update the tracks your want to re-rip with a "RERIP" comment so as to easily locate the tracks you're working on.

1. Delete the file(s) you want to re-rip from your hard disk (this way, it will be easy to recognize those in the Media Library, since MC will show the tracks with the "unavailable" red cross)

2. Use a dummy re-rip library

3. (Auto-)Rip your files in your preferred format, using your usual path; turn-off audio analyze feature to lighten your CPU burden since all tags will be removed in next step

4. Remove all tags from the re-ripped file(s)

5. Switch back to your usual library

6. (optional) Update (replace) filename from previous format (e.g. "mp3") to your new format (e.g. "ape")

checkpoint: at this point, your tracks should show as "available" again in the Media Library; if not so, it means the Artist / Album / Track info used while re-ripping differ from your actual Media Library info. Easy to correct: locate the file on your HD and move/rename it to the proper location/value

warning: if you changed the file format, you will not yet be able to play the tracks

7. Update Library (from tags -- if change detected); since all tags were removed from the re-ripped file (see 4.), only the "file type", "bitrate" and "name" fields will be updated (as far as I can tell)

8. Fill properties from filename, in order to correct the "name" field update triggered in 7.

9. Update Tags (from library), so as to fill file tags with the Media Library data (which hopefully have been preserved through the entire process !)

That's it ! Hope it will help some of you (at least, writing it down clearly helps me; I can now go into re-ripping my 200-odd CDs :-\ )

;D
Great piece of soft, guys!

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Re-rip feature (ter) - I found a way !
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 01:03:22 pm »

Sounds awful long-winded to me.  I'd personally find it easier and quicker to recreate the tag info for the newly ripped tracks.

I guess the only thing that wouldn't work for would be number of plays.

But I'm sure others will find your approach useful.

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Re-rip feature (ter) - I found a way !
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 09:28:39 am »

I guess the only thing that wouldn't work for would be number of plays.

and "rating" which I personally use intensively and which takes quite a long time to fulfill

and "genre" which I correct most of the time with more consistent data than the one you get through YADB (especially for non-english soundtracks)

The process described here allows you to:

1. "just put the CD in and continue working" during the day: open tray - put CD in - close tray ("batch" mode, somehow; minimal user actions); steps 2. and 3.

2. eventually update the database for the newly ripped tracks at the end of the day (step that could be avoided if a re-ripping feature existed in MC); steps 4. to 9.

;)
Great piece of soft, guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up