INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RECORDING VINYL  (Read 1049 times)

CDUBYA

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
RECORDING VINYL
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:51:06 am »

Hello,  I'm having the following problem using Media Center to record LP vinyl.  The automatic track splitting function will not work for me.  I have tried different settings for the gap, but nothing works.  I just get one big .wav file.  Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:RECORDING VINYL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 12:40:38 pm »

The "Minimum gap between tracks" and "Max gap level" (especially) settings are key to MC knowing where/when to split. Splitting should work by adjusting these (barring a bug...maybe there is one). Are your albums clean & pop-free (relatively)?

10-27

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:05:49 pm »

Check out the line-in recording tips in MC's on-line help or at this link:
http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/how_to.html

xen-uno is right, you need to play with the two settings to make it work for your particular audio setup. More specifically, you'll probably need to raise the "max gap level" and/or lower the "minimum gap between tracks". If the gaps between tracks on your LP have a fair amount of noise in them, MC will not recognize them as silence so it won't do a split track. Try raising the max gap level one percent at a time until it starts splitting tracks.

Also, use a watch to time how long the gaps between tracks are. If they are about 2 seconds, set the "min gap between tracks" to about 1500 (1.5 seconds). If the gaps are about 3 seconds, set this parameter to about 2000 (2 seconds).

Oh, I forgot to mention the most important thing. The recording volume has to be set right, not only to do auto track splitting correctly, but to get decent quality recordings. Did you use the "auto volume" setting button? Do this BEFORE you adjust the parameters above.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

zurn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 04:51:09 pm »

Not meant as a dis to MC, but i've been extremely happy with little shareware product called CDWave, which allows for quick splitting of a wav to smaller track files.  

http://www.cdwave.com/

-steve
-steve

CDUBYA

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 05:13:30 pm »

Thanks to johnT, and xen-uno, and zurn for the input on splitting tracks.  I'll continue to experiment and keep you posted on success or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up