INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help converting trial to purchased version  (Read 957 times)

ArtieEphem

help converting trial to purchased version
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:18:45 pm »

Hi,

I just purchased Media Center 9, and thought I had a day or 2 left on my trial version, but unfortunately it has expired. When I start it up, the Media Center Registration splash screen pops up and tells me "This feature is not available. Your 30 day trial period has expired." When I click on the Advanced  button to get to the Restore button, it pops up the License Restore dialog box, asking where I want to restore from (license file .mjr or from the net).  I have tried both ways. Going to the net takes me to the restore page, which then emails me a reg code and an installatioin key, neither of which I can figure out where to put  in from the splash screen. I tried creating a license.mjr file with the license string as the file, without success (surprise surprise!). I also tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the trial version (twice), with 2 reboots in between the uninstall and reinstall, but it always comes up saying the trial period has expired. So I'm thinking that either 1) it modified the trial executable to prevent repeated uninstall/reinstalls, or 2) there is a hidden file somewhere on my system that it created initially and left on after an uninstall, which it then checks to see if it exists when it is reinstalled.
So! Where oh where do I goes from here? I really don't want to have to download the trial version again. Besides, would that even work, if assumption 2 is correct? This really can't be that difficult can it?

What am I missing?

TIA,

Rich

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Re:help converting trial to purchased version
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 12:40:33 pm »

Nah, its not difficult.

Just copy the whole length of the thing starting from "JRiver, Inc. Media Center 9" and save it to a text file and save the extension as .mjr.

I know that you have tried it before but I am guessing that somehow you are missing something in the .mjr file u save.

If you are still having problem installing the license, try restoring with Internet Explorer instead of some other browser.
Don't Panic!

ArtieEphem

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 01:27:29 pm »

I tried using the whole thing as you suggested, but no luck. My first  license.mjr file contained only the --begin-license--  <license string> --end-license--

so when I modified it to include everything from JRiver, Inc. Media Center 9 on down, it still came back saying that it failed to extract the license from the file.

I'll try using <<sigh>> IE for the restore and see what happens.

Oh, in addition, I read another post about install problems which suggested blowing away the temp internet files. Tried that too to no avail.

I will press on and let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Rich

ArtieEphem

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 01:53:46 pm »

That seemed to do the trick.  Apparently it was a browser problem. Restoring using IE created the license file, and all is working again.

Thanks for the help   :D

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up