INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To King - LyricsFinder Question  (Read 1449 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
To King - LyricsFinder Question
« on: November 03, 2003, 08:52:23 am »

How do we just submit lyrics to your site? I downloaded a bunch of AC/DC lyrics last night and noticed that a few of them were messed up, like they start mid-song and are missing verses, etc. If I correct them within MC, and do a submit/get, what happens? Will my lyrics be overwritten with the ones on your site? How do we submit corrections?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re:To King - LyricsFinder Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 10:35:32 am »

>> If I correct them within MC, and do a submit/get, what happens?
It checks the site if they are found it will not submit them so they need to be removed from the website first or i modify the code to overwrite

> Will my lyrics be overwritten with the ones on your site?
not as long as they are larger than 150 bytes

> How do we submit corrections?
tell me what ones i will delete them from the site first or e-mail them to me with artist name and song name as it is in your lib.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 03:53:19 am »

Another question about Lyrics Finder and the web site:

It seems like you are automatically removing punctuation (periods, commas and so on) from artist names in the database so that variations of the same name will be mapped to a single database entry.  To take the first example I saw on the web site, A*teens and A-Teens and A Teens are all mapped to ateens.html, so that a song text contributed for one of them will show up for either name.

Are you planning on extending this scheme to handling other kinds of "variations" in names?

For example, sometimes you have "&" and sometimes you have "and" in the name.  If you didn't remove "&" but mapped it to "and" you'd get rid of some duplicates, and more importantly I'd probably be able to find more matches for my current database.

You could also map "feat.", "feat" without the period, "featuring", "f/" and "with" to the word "and".  For example, you have different songs for "Aaron Carter f/ Nick Carter" and "Aaron Carter feat. Nick Carter".  You have the same songs, but different texts, for "Aaron Lewis And Fred Durst" and "Aaron Lewis Feat Fred Durst".

You could remove "soundtrack", since you sometimes have identical entries with / without that word.

You could map accented characters, like a-with-two-dots, to their non-accented versions.  For example, you have entries for "Agnetha Fältskog" (let's hope the accented character comes through) and "Agnetha Faltskog".

A more difficult problem would be handling people whose names are backwards, like "Bennett Tony" and "Tony Bennett" (just got into the B's looking for examples).  How should you know which one is the "right" direction?  But perhaps the database matching code in Lyrics Finder could check both variations, at least for artist names consisting of exactly two words.  Unless it already does that?

In any case, thanks for an incredibly useful plugin and database! I've got about 10,000 song texts from you and recently submitted a few hundred I searched for on the net.  Still got 13,000 to go, though, and maybe some of them would be covered by the suggestions I made above :-)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 05:52:20 am »

For example, sometimes you have "&" and sometimes you have "and" in the name.

when submiting and looking up "&" and "And" is handled

You could also map "feat.", "feat" without the period, "featuring", "f/" and "with" to the word "and".  
this is handled and maped to and if not found to the orginal request

at any rate most if not all you state is handled already.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up