INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xingmp3 encoder  (Read 2252 times)

memphisjug

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
xingmp3 encoder
« on: November 04, 2003, 05:41:11 pm »

I have xingmp3 encoder , how do you use this in sound recorder or can it be use to record wave sound ?.I tried useing it and i can't seem to get the right command lines parameters.how do i use it to record sound :-\ and what do i type into the parameters ?. I been stuck a long time ! :'(

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:xingmp3 encoder
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 05:52:56 pm »

why not just use the mp3 encoder thats built in?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lOth

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 06:17:42 pm »

why not just use the mp3 encoder thats built in?

I guess it depends on what you want to record. I think xing is appropriate for low quality recording (such as voice) because the sound quality it produces is not very good but it is way faster than lame to encode.

memphisjug:

have a look there:
http://www.rosoftengineering.com/cdextractor/help/Xing.htm

In MC go into options, select encoding, encoding for: sound recorder, encoder: external encoder. Click advanced
_ exe path : something like c:\program files\xing\x3enc.exe
_ parameters: %IN %OUT -b128000 (for 128kbps/s constant bitrate, check the url for other settings)
_ extension: mp3

I think that should do it.

memphisjug

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 09:38:00 pm »

the  the built -in mp3 recorder begins to stutter and does not record cleanly i have a hesitate in the music like it is  2 seconds behind . that is why i m trying to get xing to work,because i cant get the built in recorder to record smoothly ? unless you can help with it as well ?

again i had xing working but then i did something duh,to try and make a higher bit rate 192,but i didnt write down what i had before and lost everything and now i have nothing .it leaves me with the wave file but the mp3 will not play ? its says mp3 but it dont have a bit rate so it dont play,it sounded very good .if only i could leave well enough along,shucks ! i havew that command line you refer to there in it but i need to know how to set the in source % or where to point the file. can you give me the walk in hand  haha though this ,thanks :-X

lOth

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 11:54:44 pm »

Ok, this is rather unclear  :o

Let's start simply: First do you want to record from an external source such as LP, K7, etc. or do you want to convert a wave file to mp3?

What you say about the built-in encoder is rather surprising. It can be quite slow if you have an older computer, but no matter how long it takes the result should sound as good as mp3 can get. What version of MC are you using? (see Help, About MC) What is the version of the built-in encoder? (see tools, plug-in manager, expand encoder, select mp3 encoder, check version)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 01:32:38 am »

If you want to record in realtime, record to .wav using the built-in encoder, and then convert to MP3 afterwards using the built-in encoder.

The only situation in which you'd want to use Xing instead of LAME is if you really want to encode quickly (and at low quality) - and even so, you can probably tune LAME to achieve reasonable speed.

nila

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 03:04:20 am »

*uhum - subtle cough* DONT USE XING!!! *end of cough*

From everything I've ever heard it's NOT a good encoder (subtle way of saying it's bad).

LAME RULES!!!

memphisjug

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 04:34:50 pm »

I want to say first this is a great helpful forum, :)with a lot of great folks such as the one's who answeared my call for help ! Ty all.I do have an 450mhz PC .but i been playing with it for so long. that i m scarred to get an new one and have to start all over again. lol
but I was able to get xing mp3 to work and the sound quality is great in the one i have and I have the tools to make it better . I jus finish doing an mp3 caught from a wave file wish you could hear it so you could judge !  but i could not get the built in encoder to be in sync and that is why i was wanting to use the xing mp3.I like it the first time it work but i got lost but i m back on track now.you have to give it another whirl.it was made in 1999 was the last upgrade but it fit my PC jus right .didnt know if it was going to work in windows me,but its doing jus great now going to see how this sound on my home audio system after i burn it .again thanks alot.1 more thing xping dont like long file names ?any suggestions on how to get it to write with spaces ?
thanks 8) memphisjug :)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 05:08:21 pm »

You really should try to get the LAME encoder working, either the one built-in to MC9, or external.

Here are a number of pages explaining why:

Codec Review

Speek's listening test

MP3 Converter

MP3 at Radified

Basically, the Xing encoder (while fast) comes out bottom of the list for audio quality in practically every test. LAME always does well, and the later versions (after 3.90 with the alt-presets) almost always come out top, especially at high bitrates.

It sounds like your problem may be related to encoding speed - if so, rip to WAV, then re-encode to MP3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up