INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using fields instead of playlists  (Read 756 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
using fields instead of playlists
« on: November 05, 2003, 07:44:45 pm »

Ok, all you gurus out there....

I have lots of (ordered) playlists for compilation albums that I create.  I want to avoid using playlists for this purpose because:

1) when I delete a file (a duplicate for example) it may be removed from the playlist, and I can't always recreate it, especially in its right order
2) and basically I can't do it because I have no easy indication of which playlists the file was a member of. And anyway, it's a pain to replace a song in one or many ordered playlists.

So. I decided to create fields: Compilation 1 track#, Compilation 1, Compilation 2 track #, Compilation 2

Ok, fine. It works. But I would have to create so many of these fields! And when I search, I can't just search for [compilation]= even though I created the search keyword "compilation" for both fields when I created the fields. When I go to keywords, I only get the specific [compilation 1].

I thought of creating a delimited list instead (Xmas Party;Kelley's Wedding 1; etc), but that will not work because I can't preserve the order the songs appear in the compilation album.

So I guess my question is, if I keep going with this method, is there some easy way for me to search all compilation fields for a title?  (and yes, I have "default search field" checked, but I would rather be able to specifically name the "compilation" field).

It just wouldn't work for me to have to search [compilation 1]=Kelley's wedding, then do another search for [compilation 2]=, etc...
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:using fields instead of playlists
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 10:17:06 pm »

Never mind. I found this thread. I guess what I want to do is impossible, as they say here the track number can't be maintained.  Also, my custom field thing didn't work out that great: each compilation album would have to be in its own field for me to sort by track # (sometimes album x was under one field, sometimes under a 2nd field, and that's when I was toast).

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16257;start=msg110917#msg110917
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up