INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just about to start and want to do it right.  (Read 1231 times)

scottatl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Just about to start and want to do it right.
« on: November 10, 2003, 10:43:11 am »

Couple of questions before I let the ripping begin:

Note, all I want to do now is create a Jukebox for my albums - with tags and cover art.

1 - what are some good ways to organize the albums.  I am thinking a Folder for each Artist, then another folder inside that one for each album

2 - I will be using APE, is the best way to RIP via MC9 or EAC

3 - What is the best way to get cover art and tags for APE.  

4 - Any other advice, guides, links or other things that that will help me out

nila

Re:Just about to start and want to do it right.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 11:03:57 am »

I have all my music like this:

My Music
-Full Albums
 --Aaliyah - Aaliyah
 --Aaliyah - I care for you
 --[Artist Name] - [Album Name]
-Compilations
 --[Album Name]
-Random Songs
 --[Artist Name] - [Song Name]
-SoundTracks
 --Soundtrack - [Album Name]

Using:

[Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name] for single artist albums
[Album] - [Track #] - [Artist] - [Name] for Compilation albums
[Artist] - [Name] for random songs

You can group them by artist then album inside that - or even alphabetically by artist so you have all the A's grouped, etc - it really depends on how many albums you have and on personal preference.

Ripping via MC is fine - put it in secure mode if your worried.

Cover art, Lyrics and tags try MC's built in tools - also try a bunch of the plugins by KingSpart - www.spartasoft.com

Best advice is just start and have fun and learn as you go! :)

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 11:44:57 am »

I do almost the same as Nila.  All single artist albums are filed in a directory of [Artist]\[Album].  Compilations are filed in Various artists\[Album].

I use the same naming convention for all files:

[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name] - [Album]

I like having track number first so that within every album folder (compilations included) in windows explorer I can see the files listed in the order in which they appear on the album.

I don't use APE 'cos it would take up too much space for 23K files encounting and IMO MP3 @ 192 kbps is pretty difficult to distinguish from the real thing.  Please  STOP - no forum member needs to put me right on this one - I know we will never agree!

Tip: If you can't find the track info in YADB try a nifty little program called Psychic MP3 (search google) and thank Mastiff for finding it.

The only other tip I can give you is to keep reading this forum.  Good luck.

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 11:58:22 am »

My directory structure is:

Genre / Artist / Year / Album

Filenames:

Artist - Album - Track no. with leading zero - Track name.ape

Including the Year in the rip means that when browsing in explorer, the albums appear in the order they were issued.  Having as much information as possible in the directory/file structure means that if you use something other than MC to browse / play your files, then you can be fairly sure that it can see all of the information it needs.  I look at it as a kind of open standard to prevent lock-in to MC's way of doing things. (The info should be saved in .ape tags anyway, but at one stage I was using a program that would play .ape files, but couldn't read the tags...)

(Not that I intend to change - far from it - but it's nice to know I always have the option.)  ;D

Compilations get "Various Artists" for the "Album Artist" field and (when I have time) the track's artist in the "Artist" field.  Be careful when you're ripping as a lot of YADB / CDDB entries have variations on the "Various Artists" theme ("Various", "Multiple Artists" etc).  A number also don't have "Year" filled in.

If you use MC to rip, make sure you Analyse Audio while ripping.  Beats Per Minute and Intensity aren't perfectly accurate but they're good enough that you can build some good smartlists on the basis of them.

kimknapp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 12:32:47 pm »

Is there a way to change the "Various" that YADB puts in, to "(Multiple)", for example?
Pages: [1]   Go Up