INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound distortions during MP3 playback in latest MJ  (Read 1147 times)

JCad

• nothing more to say...
Sound distortions during MP3 playback in latest MJ
« on: December 17, 2002, 10:48:47 am »

My system:
Athlon XP 2200+
Abit KX7-333
512MB pc2700
Radeon9700 Pro
Hercules Game Theater XP (with latest drivers)
Promise Ultra 100TX2 PCI IDE expansion controller
Realtek 8139 10/100 NIC
Windows XP w/Service Pack 1

The problem:
Whenever I play any of my MP3's the sound always comes out wavy, poppy and otherwise distorted. The problem lies solely in MJ because the same MP3's playback fine in Windows Media Player and Winamp. This has been a problem for awhile and I've never seen anyone post about it. I had the same problem on a prevous system using a different motherboard (so that rules that out), but using my Game Theater XP. Is there a known problem with MJ interfacing with the Game Theater's drivers? I love the sound quality of MJ and can't stand using anything else for audio! One of the early betas of MJ 9 didn't have this problem, but there were other errors so I deleted it. Even after disabling all the sound enhancing features and memory hogging effects, the problem persists. There isn't enough configurability in MJ's MP3 plugin to troubleshoot the problem. TIA

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sound distortions during MP3 playback in lates
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 11:03:13 am »

In Playback Settings, have you tried changing the output mode from Wave Out to DirectSound or vice versa?  How about altering the amount of buffering in the mode's settings?  

You can also try LOWERING the amount of hardware acceleration in the Windows Sounds & Multimedia settings.  I'm finding that for music, the faster systems work better with less acceleration.  Can't speak for gamers.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JCad

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 03:08:50 pm »

None of those things worked. The skipping got worse if I changed the responsiveness slider in MJ. This problem ought to be reproducable on other systems since I've mananged to have it in two different OS' (Windows 2000 and XP) and across two different system configs. It's either MJ and my IDE controller acting up or MJ and my Game Theater XP. Should I post this problem in the latest MJ thread at the top?

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 03:28:40 pm »

Should I post this problem in the latest MJ thread at the top?

Yes
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up