INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATI Remote Wonder with mc 9.1???  (Read 3648 times)

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
ATI Remote Wonder with mc 9.1???
« on: November 13, 2003, 06:25:32 am »

I have an ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro video card that also includes the Remote Wonder RF remote control.  I there any way to get this to work with media center.  I am especially interested in getting it to work with MC's integrated TV functions.  I would like to be able to change channels with it via numeric entry from the keypad on the remote.  Anyone have an idea?

LisaRCT

Re:ATI Remote Wonder with mc 9.1???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 07:44:00 am »

Yes there is, by using a program called 'Girder' you can get your ATi Remote Wonder to work with MC9.
I suggest that the easiest way to learn about this would be to do a search on the Interact forum here as several threads have already dealt with this and can give you guidance.

Also you can see the Girder website where you can download the sofware at
http://www.girder.nl/index.php

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 08:17:00 am »

when i searchthis board for ATi remote wonder it yields no results.  Any keywords that you are aware of that I should be looking for?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 08:21:57 am »

I have an ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro video card that also includes the Remote Wonder RF remote control.  I there any way to get this to work with media center.  I am especially interested in getting it to work with MC's integrated TV functions.  I would like to be able to change channels with it via numeric entry from the keypad on the remote.  
You won't be able to use the keypad, but you can use the arrows on your remote if you program it.  MC 9.1 in latest builds has a learning section in tools/options/remote.

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 08:26:43 am »

Wow Jim that's awesome . . . .  how'd ya sneak that past me?   8)

By the way, I love the internal volume control feature for the audio cards that do not respond otherwise, NICE touch.

BDR

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 08:38:44 am »

Will this learning capability of MC9.1 work with my Creative Audigy Remote?  You mentioned ability to use arrow buttons, is there a way to remote turnon/off my PC via this remote using MC9.1 or if not via Girder?

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 09:53:13 am »

I have an ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro video card that also includes the Remote Wonder RF remote control.  I there any way to get this to work with media center.  I am especially interested in getting it to work with MC's integrated TV functions.  I would like to be able to change channels with it via numeric entry from the keypad on the remote.  
You won't be able to use the keypad, but you can use the arrows on your remote if you program it.  MC 9.1 in latest builds has a learning section in tools/options/remote.

Jim,

This is the second time I've read you mention that MC's built-in remote learning is compatible with AIT's Remote Wonder.  However, there doesn't seem to be a plug-in for recognizing the Remote Wonder.  "Learning" doesn't recognize any button presses.

I brought this up in thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16525;start=msg112710#msg112710, but got no resposne.

Scott-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 10:15:54 am »

I didn't say it was compatible.  I said that there is a way to teach MC how to talk to a remote.

I don't know anything about the remote or whether it can be "seen" by MC.  MC looks at the serial port and if the remote's receiver is there, it should work.  If not, it won't work.

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 10:55:50 am »

The Remote Wonder is a USB RF remote...  so it would seem that the answer to the OP's question is that the learning section of MC won't help him.

As Lisa suggested, Girder provides a very good solution to the problem.  Here's a thread to get you started:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16139;start=msg109669#msg109669

Any chance of JRiver doing a plugin for the Remote Wonder?  MC's built-in learning capability is *very* nice for most users [I'd still prefer Girder]...  too bad they can't use it with the Remote Wonder.

Scott-

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 12:45:33 pm »

Yes, plugin support for the ATI Remote would be great.  

Does anyone know of any links or docs about creating these plugins?  I noticed that there is one pre-supplied for Powerpoint and WinAmp, but I can't find any info about actually implementing one.

-J

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 12:47:29 pm »

A little confused by this thread...  Is there a plugin for the ATI remote for 9.1 ?  Me (and four friends) all have that remote and would like to get it working with MC.  Do we need the Girder Plugin?  other plugin?  ATI Remote software installed?  any help is greatly appreciated! :)

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 12:54:40 pm »

To my knowledge, there currently is not a specific plugin.  But I have it working for limited functions, by using the ATI Remote Configuration to set A, B, C, D, E and F to some specific MusicCenter keystrokes.  Other items like the next, previous, stop, volume, arrow keys all seem to work as is.

Alternatively, you can install Girder and configure it through that.  (I haven't gone down that route at this point).

-J

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 01:08:51 pm »

Yep, it works out of the box for all the basic functions, no plugin needed. The ATI drivers generate all the normal multimedia windows messages that MC just handles.

I have also got Girder set up on my machine, but that's only to allow me to skip backwards and forwards *within* tracks (which I've assigned to the E and F buttons, just above the previous and next track buttons)

(Oh, and since the volume stuff was changed, I've modified the way the volume works too, since I'm using a digital out and the volume for that can't be changed normally)

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 01:50:21 pm »

Yep, it works out of the box for all the basic functions, no plugin needed. The ATI drivers generate all the normal multimedia windows messages that MC just handles.

Right...  the ATI drivers/software allows you to program your remote.  But you can't "learn" MC using Tools/Options/RemoteControl/Learn, right?  If I understand what you're saying, you're using the ATI software to control MC, vice using the MC software to receive key presses from your remote - and then assigning functions within MC (i.e. "learn")..

It's been a while since I've used the ATI driver or software, so my memory's a bit fuzzy...  how does it communicate with media players?  Keyboard events?

Scott-

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 02:26:01 pm »

As I understand it, it's just sending WM_APPCOMMAND messages, just as the multimedia keys on a keyboard do, but they're not actual key presses.

My previous post was slightly wrong - the ATI software has an interface to configure 6 of the buttons (A-F) to do what you like, so I've set E and F to do CTRL-Left and CTRL-Right to do the skipping through tracks.

I've only used Girder to reprogram the buttons that the ATI software won't allow you to (the volume buttons in my case, because they'd normally control the system volume and that's no use for me).

I'm not changing anything at all within MC itself.

Someone could produce a GML file for Girder to tell it all the functions Media Center understands.
Or on the other hand, someone could produce a plugin for the ATI software so it understand Media Center (it already comes with one for WinAmp), though I don't think that  would be as powerful, because it's unlikely to let you reprogram all the buttons that way.

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 02:54:14 pm »

I found the SDK on ATI's site for developing a remote control plug-in.  It can be found at:

http://www.ati.com/developer/ammosdk.html

It looks pretty straightforward, and with the exception of the TV, DVD, Power, and Media Library launch buttons, any of the other keys can be remapped (if needed).

I'll try to look at it more, but I have no way of actually compiling this to a dll.

-J

sraymond

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 04:48:10 pm »

It looks pretty straightforward, and with the exception of the TV, DVD, Power, and Media Library launch buttons, any of the other keys can be remapped (if needed).

It might make more sense to scrap ATI altogether and go the route the Grider plugin writer went (whoever he is!)  Grider does not require the ATI software to use the X10/ATI plugin...  meaning you get complete control over *all* the buttons (including TV, DVD, etc.)

But I think your point is well taken...  it would seem easy to do a basic ATI plugin for MC.

Scott-

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 11:06:26 am »

We're looking into the possibility of an MC plugin. Can't promise anything at this time though.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

LisaRCT

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 08:15:43 pm »

YAY John   :D

sraymond

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2003, 11:46:55 pm »

YAY John   :D

Lisa,

I thought you were a Girder-convert...  No?

Scott-

LisaRCT

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2003, 01:05:22 am »

Oh Scott yes I am using Girder, thanks to a little help I received from a friend on the forum   ;)
I am none-the-less happy that there will (possibly) be a direct ATi RemoteWonder plugin.  I see it as a nice selling point as no doubt it will be rather easy to setup and use, although probably less powerful than Girder.  

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2003, 03:58:17 am »

So what are you using Girder to do? Program the non-customisable buttons?

Do you have an ATI video card, or just the remote? (obviously people who only have the remote are a bit stuck normally since that means the ATI-specific buttons are wasted)

sraymond

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2003, 08:37:21 am »

So what are you using Girder to do? Program the non-customisable buttons?

Do you have an ATI video card, or just the remote? (obviously people who only have the remote are a bit stuck normally since that means the ATI-specific buttons are wasted)

I have the AIW 8500 DV.  Programming all buttons was one of the first reasons I went to Girder.  Once I started using MC, it got even better.  I also really like the OSD Volume Control and the DVDSpy (though I rarely use it now that Rhino gave us PlayningNow.

See the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16139;start=msg109669#msg109669) for details on which plugins I'm using.

Pages: [1]   Go Up