INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pfoblems with smartlist - "Possible duplicates"  (Read 2640 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Pfoblems with smartlist - "Possible duplicates"
« on: January 11, 2004, 10:25:51 am »

I'm using the "Possible Duplicates" smartlist to clean up and remove dups from my media library.  (By the way - the "overwrite duplicates on rip" setting still seems to be unreliable - I'm finding lots of dups when re-ripping cds with 9.3.16 - I think they happened when a rip didn't fully complete and I re-ripped.)

Anyway, the problem I'm having with "Possible Duplicates" is that it's flagging the same songs that exist on more than one CD.  I have a lot of "greatest hits", "live", etc cd's, and I'd like to keep the full album, and not remove the dups that I have from other albums.  I also found that lots of classical cds have multiple tracks that are tagged with the same name (from the same symphony, for example.)

So, is there a way to find dups where the song name, album name, AND track # match?  That way, I can identify the "real dups" - when the same song was actually ripped twice.

Then, of course, it would be nice if MC could automatically remove those dups, but that's another story...

Thanks!

- Dave

LisaRCT

Re:Pfoblems with smartlist - "Possible duplicates"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 10:35:31 am »

I believe that if you modify the search criteria listed in the 'Possible Duplicates' :
where it says "[media type]=[audio] ~dup=[artist],[name] ~sort=[artist],[name]"
in the search window . . . .  edit: "~dup=[artist],[name]" to read:
"~dup=[artist],[album],[name]"
This will cause the Smartlist to ONLY show tracks with Artist, Name, and Album are all duplicated (rather than only Artist & Name.
You be given the option to save the Smartlist this way, or allow it to revert back to it's original configuration when you leave it.  
Hope that helps.

BTW, when you re-rip and MC creates duplicates, are they named the same file name but with a (1) after it?

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 11:51:25 am »

"~dup=[artist],[album],[name]"
This will cause the Smartlist to ONLY show tracks with Artist, Name, and Album are all duplicated (rather than only Artist & Name.

If you have many jazz albums, may I also recommend to add the "track #" to the criteria, since there are many albums with the same song name repeated several times. My complete crietria for possible duplicates includes artist, album, name and track # and works great.

----
Listening to: 'One Time Too Many (with Steven Tyler and Aerosmith) (Previously Unreleased)' from 'The Essential Willie Nelson (CD 2)' by 'Willie Nelson' on Media Center 10

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 12:05:50 pm »

I find the same with concert archives often, they will often do a jam or a medley playing a song, merging into another song, then return to the original. Often these are broken into individual files for some reason (taper's preference I imagine) causing repeats of the artist/album/name as you mention.
As a result I have gone to using several different "Possible Duplicates" smartlists to work at 'different levels'.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 03:10:58 pm »

Thanks for the great suggestions.  Lisa - sorry, I'd already deleted the dups before I saw your question.  I'll check the file name next time it happens.

- Dave

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 03:43:36 pm »

how about maybe a reorder of the parms?

Change: "~dup=[artist],[album],[name]"
To: "~dup=[artist],[name],[album]"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 03:55:19 pm »

King:

Ok, so now I'm thinking that I don't understand what [dup] does.  If it works like I thought it did, then a dup is a dup - what difference does the parameter order make?  If the [artist], [album], [name] shows a dup, won't [artist],[name],[album] also show a dup?

- Dave

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 03:56:40 pm »

i did not say it did, but it may
Fayetteville, NC, USA

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 04:39:11 pm »

i did not say it did, but it may

According to the MC gods in another thread: all search stuff is order dependent, but anything with ~ is not.

-John

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 05:02:01 pm »

Ok, but if you think about it, if you're checking for things to be ~equal~, which is what the dup checking list is for, it doesn't matter what order you check the parameters in.

LisaRCT

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 05:43:07 pm »

particularly since the search is looking for
Condition A plus Condition B plus Condition C
If any of these do not conform the file is dropped from the search results regardless, correct??

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 05:52:47 pm »

well my dealings with Dup are it does not work the way you want it to work (nor me)

the way I have found it to work is if you include "No Dups" and i used it today without success about the same time you asked (since i made 8 cds today for my trip tomorrow)

"No Dups" will only include files that have no dups

if you use "Dups" it will only include files with dups of the file

it does not mean the list you get at the end will have no dups.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 07:26:15 am »

hi!

just read this thread but couldnt quite understand it. my problem is with the smartlists. no matter how hard i try and play with ALL the no dups options i always get duplicates in EVERY smartlist it generates...it even cant generate one! playlist without dups even though i define no dups, album, artist etc..any ideas on how to fix it??
thx

zeltak

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 07:38:02 am »

My feelings Is, it does not work correctly, nor have i found anyone that said it did\does.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 09:48:22 am »

its such a shame it dosent work since to a none programmer like me it seems really simple to implement, all it seems needs to be done is that MC will just check the tags (album,artist etc) like any other window program and then remove it from the playlist once it finds another artist or album, is it alot more difficult then that?

Zeltak

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 03:40:08 pm »

its such a shame it dosent work since to a none programmer like me it seems really simple to implement, all it seems needs to be done is that MC will just check the tags (album,artist etc) like any other window program and then remove it from the playlist once it finds another artist or album, is it alot more difficult then that?

Zeltak

I would think this would be close to the top of the "wish list" of things to fix.  It's has come up several times as a problem  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 04:22:44 pm »

Changed next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2004, 04:37:28 pm »

Changed next build.

Hurray!!!!    Great!  Thank's Matt ! ;D

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2004, 05:46:02 am »

hi, i posted this in the new build forum but maybe it wasnt the right place so...

i just installed the new build (.64) and i still cant get smartlists that dont have duplicates, i create a smartlist with 5 and 5 stars only, a data cd worth of music and other stuff as you can see below:

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~sort=[Random] ~n=100 [Rating]==4,=5 [Last Played]=>=4320 [media type]=[audio] [duration]=<600 ~nodup=[artist],[name],[album]

yet still i get 3-4 songs from the same artist every time, it even defies normal statistics  . what am i doing now i understand its supposed to be fixed in this build?

thx alot in advance

Zeltak
Pages: [1]   Go Up