INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [req] <all> in treeview & hairstyle  (Read 1947 times)

dragyn

[req] <all> in treeview & hairstyle
« on: October 14, 2003, 08:53:27 pm »

Ever since the introduction of panes in MC, thing have changed quite a bit.

The good thing is you can set up as many schemes as you want like as one. A good example would be: <rating>/<genre>/<artist>/<album>

This one view scheme handles rating. If you want to go directly to genres, you just goto the second column and bypass the first. Same with Artist, Album, etc.

Well this is all fine and dandy but if you're in the tree, you're gonna be stuck. Cause in the tree, you have to choose a rating before you get to a genre. You have to choose a genre to get to an artist, etc , etc.

The reason for this is because panes has an <all> selection and the tree does not. This affects the treeview and it also affects hairstlye.

I was playing with hairstyle and I just couldn't get anywhere because of how I have my views schemes setup. If there was an <all>, I could bypass the tree just like in the panes.

Anyone here agree, disagree, have no idea what I'm talking about, or just don't care?

sraymond

Re:[req] <all> in treeview & hairstyle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:24:21 pm »

Concur!

It might also make sense to include a "Show All" in Hairstyle as well - as a way to short-circuit the navigation vice having to continue through the rest of the <All>s.  Yeah - I know that there's a "Show All" on the left column, but that's a lot of moving around that could be avoided with a "Show All" on the right.

Scott-

nila

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 02:57:53 am »

I agree totally.
I posted this same thing a while ago myself.

With MC9 any tree view was perfect for hairstyle as well as they both had to be navigated in the same top down sort of style.

With 9.1 and Panes we can bounce around and heirarchy is totally lost which is a great thing. In hairstyle however we still have it though and so we NEED to have an 'all' option.

We also need some way of seeing any view schemes that we set up for 'Groups' as currently we lose this view scheme when going into hair style :(

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 08:41:13 pm »

Anyone else?

Here's a question...how many use hairstyle and think it's alright as it is?

nila

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 08:56:49 pm »

Set it up on a couple of dedicated jukebox machines a few months ago and found it a bit lacking in some areas.

About to set it up on another dedicated machine in the next month or so as well and am still going to find the same areas to be real weaknesses.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 09:18:09 pm »

Anyone else?

Here's a question...how many use hairstyle and think it's alright as it is?

See the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=9671;start=msg56778#msg56778 for the most recent discussion (not counting this thread, of course) of Hairstyle.  Note that no one volunteered to distill the numerous threads into the "latest and greatest".

Scott-

dragyn

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 08:28:58 pm »

Played with hairstyle again today...lasted about 50secs because I had to go through 5 panes just to see one file.

BUMP

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 03:08:13 am »

I use HS quite a lot.  When I first started using it I went through all my VS and tidied them up to make them all HS friendly.  I now find that I can navigate to whatever I want fairly easily but of course HS is lacking in many areas - like the ability to customise the menus.  It's all been said before and JRiver admit that HS needs some attention.  It would be nice if they could give us some hints as to their future direction on matters like this.  I just keep hanging on waiting for an improvement - but I have no idea whether that improvement will ever happen.

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 12:35:51 pm »

I use HS quite a lot.  When I first started using it I went through all my VS and tidied them up to make them all HS friendly.  I now find that I can navigate to whatever I want fairly easily but of course HS is lacking in many areas - like the ability to customise the menus.  It's all been said before and JRiver admit that HS needs some attention.  It would be nice if they could give us some hints as to their future direction on matters like this.  I just keep hanging on waiting for an improvement - but I have no idea whether that improvement will ever happen.

The last I remember JimH speaking of Hairstyle was in the message http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=10040;start=msg60025#msg60025...  and it didn't give me lots of hope for the future.  The new version of myHTPC (which should be out in a few months) will do a great job of importing media based on directory structure, so I imagine I will then use myHTPC exclusively for "Hairstyle" use and rely on MC for library management and tagging, etc.

Scott-

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up