INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback of burned CDs...  (Read 1131 times)

DM_AS_BX_RX

• Recent member
  • Hello.  Is this to whom I'm speaking?
Playback of burned CDs...
« on: October 25, 2003, 11:25:17 pm »

Hey Folks.

With regard to playback of burned CDs in my car.

History:  I used to have an old LITE ON drive.  It came with the computer.  I also used MJ8.
My car stereo played these CDs without difficulty.

Now:  I've tried two Plexwriter drives.  I currently have installed the 48/24/48A and now I'm using MC9.  Now the car has difficulty starting the CDs and has lost the ability to index through them completely.

I am using the same media (CDRs) and the old burned CDs still work fine.  All that has changed is the version of the software and the physical drive.  

I have tried a couple different brands of CDR and have tried reducing the burn speed to 4x and tried running the test before the burn with no luck.

Is there a setting in MC or WinXP you all know about that could help me out?

Tx

jleerigby

Re:Playback of burned CDs...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 03:14:11 am »

Don't know but questions / tips for starters:

Post your system info from MC>Help

What settings are you applying to the burn?  (CD text, DSP etc)

Do you have any other CD burning software installed (Roxio, Nero etc)?  If you do try uninstalling it.

Do they play at all?  Do they play on a regular CD player?  Do they play within MC?

Are your new drives set up correctly (Slave / Master / Jumpers)?

livingdead

• schlup... schlup...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 09:23:35 am »

My car CD player doesn't like CD's with anything but the standard 2 second gap.  The ones it likes best don't have CD text, have standard 2 second gap, and are burned with BURN-PROOF disabled.

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 05:49:37 pm »

I's unlikely to be a MC issue but you could check by doing a burn with other software and playing it.

DM_AS_BX_RX

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 10:36:02 pm »

Thanks folks.

I haven't seen the 2 second feature in MC9.  If I've missed it let me know where it is.

I've done almost everything I can think of and here is where I stand.  The people at Plextor admit that though the beam is adjustable the laser in their drives is weaker than other brands on the market (Pioneers, Lite-On for example).

I have three options left to try:
a) try burning to an ultra high quality media ($.50-60 / disc instead of $.10 /disc)
b)play with the laser strength adjustment to see if I can get the correct formula for my audio components (note this will cause the drive to revert to 4X)
c)Replace my non-computer audio components.  They actually said that!

So far main lesson has been to avoid Plextor drives.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 12:34:57 am »

Have you tried MC9 with the *old* drive?

I also have problems with burned CDs refusing to playback on some audio players. I am using Taiyo Yuden media. I am using CD Text.

I believe it may be an MC9 problem, because:

1) Audio CDs burned on the same media with Adaptec Easy CD play back fine on all CD players
2) Audio CDs burned with MC9 play back if they are the *first* CD burned in a session - subsequent burns don't play
3) The MC9 burned CDs will usually play back fine on simple audio CD players that *don't* read CD Text. CD Text-capable CD players will *always* choke on MC9 audio CDs that are not the first one burned in a session.

This issue has come up in regards to scrambled CD Text in some burned CDs. I think it is the same issue. It may have been fixed in a recent build, but I have not yet tested it.

[Edit] Works fine now with build .302, MC9 audio CDs with CD text playback fine on all the CD players I have access to.

DM_AS_BX_RX

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 05:21:44 pm »

I can not blame MC9.  I've tried burning audio CDs in every way I can think of with a couple different players, directly from windows and with the Roxio suite with the same result.  The only thing that makes sense is the drive.  See my previous post.

I appreciate the feedback though.  Where did you get build .302?

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 07:25:16 pm »

You could try experimenting with more types /brands of media - and not just expensive ones.

I have probably used about 25 different typed of cd-r and only 3 of them play well on my main [now rather ageing] Technics CD player.

Expensive brands tend to be more compatible but you will find cheap media that will work - eventually.

Do you have playback problems on all your players or only some of them?

DM_AS_BX_RX

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 11:53:26 pm »

I have tried:  Memorex,TDK,Imation,Maxell,Sony,Fuji,Philips and a couple generic brands. What the Plextor people have asked me to use is a Verbatim line with a special dye.  These discs are not offered at your standard Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max or Comp USA.  

The audio discs I have burned  do not play correctly in any audio device that is not a computer CD ROM.  This says to me that it is a bit rate error issue that is part of a crappy laser.  

Bottom line:  I'm going to order some discs prove that they don't work and replace the drive on Plextor's dime.

Sauzee

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 08:37:59 am »

The verbatim's might just work. I have found Verbatim Data Life Plus to play on anything - even a broken DVD drive which couldn't play ANYTHING else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up