INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: apparent hang when leave MC running  (Read 1019 times)

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
apparent hang when leave MC running
« on: November 17, 2003, 10:05:48 pm »

For the last few weeks (at least) of "fresh" builds I'm finding that if I leave MC running for a day or overnight (on at least two somewhat different machines) it tends to get itself a bit muddled - it's entirely unresponsive (no repaint, no click or keyboard events, etc) and if you look in the task manager it's consuming gigantic quantities of memory (a little over 600 megabytes this last time).  One machine has an old-ish SB Live, the other a M-Audio Revolution.  One is accessed through remote desktop, the other not.  Both running XP SP1.  In all cases killing MC and then starting it up again works just fine until you leave it running for a while.

Familiar?

LisaRCT

Re:apparent hang when leave MC running
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 09:02:20 am »

Nope, not familiar here.  I frequently leave it running for hours, often overnight and do not recall that occurring.  
I have one machine with a SB Live and one with a Terratec 24/96 but both are running win2K.  OS related perhaps?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 09:06:50 am »

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

What kinds of files are you playing?

Plug-ins?

Visualizations?

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 10:36:53 am »

The OS suggestion seems unlikely - the bug only started happening in the last few weeks and I've been upgrading to the latest MC pretty much weekly for months and months (with no OS change).

All of my music is WMA Lossless.  It's all stored on a network drive (relative to the machines running MC), "\\Core\Music".  I rip .WAV files with EAC, put them in the right directory, import them into MC, fix up their tags, and then every so often have MC convert them to WMA lossless.  They're are currently no WAV files in there.  There's a largish amount of music (11,500 files, 240 gb).

One thing that strikes me as suspicious is that I just set things up such that my actual library (not just the music) is on that network share as well.  (Each of the MC machines does have its own library, I thought pointing them both at the same one sounded a little too reckless, although it'd be nice...)

I actually have (or at least think I can get) a minidump of MC in the hung state.

I don't use any visualizations.  I've installed and used the iPOD plug-in on one of the two machines, but the other is a completely vanilla install.

My system info (machine #1) is ...

Media Center Registered 9.1.305 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2513 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 492 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive J:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive K:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive L:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive X:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive X: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Y: _NEC     CD-RW NR-9100A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Z: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Pages: [1]   Go Up