INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another "Gathering information..." crash  (Read 1685 times)

woodhoud

Another "Gathering information..." crash
« on: December 14, 2002, 01:32:37 pm »

Like has been reported by others in both the Version 8 and 9 forums but apparently still unresolved, I too am consistently encountering the "Gathering Information and updating view..." message followed by a completely unresponsive MJ (v8 and v9) that can only be deleted by rebooting my Windows XP machine.

It happens any time a CD is installed to be played or ripped. MJ attempts to update the track list (as the message indicates at the bottom of the MJ frame), and produces the "Gathering Information" pop-up. Through my router, I can see attempts of communication every 5 seconds or so, but MJ is well and truly hooped.

Unhappy with all the bloat and subscription nonsense of what is now RealOne Player, I thought I'd found a really good replacement, but alas, a program that dies like this is, unfortunately, not the ultimate player I thought it was. I'd love to buy MJ, but the inability to handle a CD makes it pretty useless.

Unless I'm mistaken, in so many of the other posts on this subject, I do not see any responses from the developers. Not wanting to sound rude, but is anybody listening?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:  Another "Gathering information..." crash
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 01:38:58 pm »

Listening all the time.

Do you have MJ set to use YADB?  CDDB does not work unless you had an account from around 6 months ago, and then you have to sign up again.

As a test, disable any CD lookup.  Just to isolate the problem.

We've fixed a couple of CD related bugs that will be in the next release of MC9.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 02:04:49 pm »

beatnik

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 03:03:10 am »

I am  having the same problem with version 8.x. It worked fine for a handful of CDs, then began giving me the

Media Jukebox has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

error. I tried disabling CD lookup as suggested, but it makes no difference.

This is particularly troubling since I have already purchased Media Jukebox. Can anyone help?

woodhoud

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2002, 10:13:23 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply - glad to know there's someone out there!

Anyhow, CD lookup has been disabled and the results are unchanged. If you have some beta or debug code you want me to try in an effort to resolve this, let me know.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2002, 10:41:59 am »

Then the problem could be related to the CD drive itself.  Try switching between analog and digital playback.  Try doing a "detect" again in the settings for the drive.

You could also try reading some of the old threads on CD drive problems.  Watch for JohnT's posts.

woodhoud

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2002, 07:03:26 pm »

It's quite happy to choke in analog playback and the default digital. It's interesting though that CD icon in the left pane of MJ seems to indicate that MJ kinda knows what's going on in that the description goes from Compact  Disk (E:) to Audio CD just after the CD is installed in the drive. Then the "gathering information..." message appears. I just have discovered that if now I eject the audio CD, then close the empty tray, there are then some attempts to access the drive, followed by the message "Program Not Found. Windows cannot find mjextman.exe. This program is needed for opening files of the type 'File'. Type in the executable file to be used instead:..." At that point, MJ seems to have come back from la la land.

I've gone through the device settings in MJ, but do not see anything obvious for telling to "detect" the drive. Can you guide me to the place you're refering, please? I do see something close in the Audio Copy setup, but I'm not even trying to rip at this point - just play.

For your information, my old copy of Real Jukebox Plus had no problem with the drive - it operated fine in digital mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up