INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control  (Read 1063 times)

kamein

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Remote control
« on: December 15, 2002, 09:29:58 am »

Hello all,

I have media jukebox installed on a laptop. I would like to add remote control capabilities. I imagine many of you have been in the same situation so iwould like to hear your comments and recommendations on this.

Thanks for your help,
kamein.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote control
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 12:38:35 pm »

I guess my first question would be: Exactly what do you mean by remote control?  

If you mean controlling MJ from another machine, there's WebRemote and it's associated helpers.   I don't use it myself.

If you mean controlling MJ from a handheld universal remote, there's plenty of options.   The first thing to consider is the IR mechanism.  The IR ports common on laptops will not accept signals from standard remote control devices.  So, unless you're using a PDA that WILL communicate with the built in IR ports, you'll need something like IRMan as the IR receiver.   If all you're controlling is MJ, you don't need any other software (including the software that comes wi ththe IRMan).  There's an MJ plug-in that handles the IRMan directly.  All you need to do is teach it the remote buttons.

If you want to get a  little more sophisticated and control other things besides MJ, there's uICE.  It allows you to send messages and keystrokes to applications and allows you to control the individual inputs of the sound mixer.

If you want the ultimate, look at Girder.  It's a little more complicated and a little harder to learn but you can't beat it for flexibility.

Finally, if you don't need to control MJ from across the room but just want to create a dedicated media keyboard, check out Genovation's programmable keypads.  I use the 35 key pad, Girder, and an Irlinc transmitter to control MJ, my Sony DVD and TV, and RCA DSS system from one dedicated keypad.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

kamein

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 02:00:55 pm »

Sorry if i didn't explain myself clearly enough. RemyJ, your answer has been very helpful, clear and complete. Thanks. I will study all the options you have given me and maybe post back with a little more questions. I hope you dont mind.

Thanks again,
kamein.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 05:42:06 pm »

No problem.  There are a lot more options that the ones I mentioned.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up