INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about digital audio receivers and .ape files  (Read 1299 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Question about digital audio receivers and .ape files
« on: November 19, 2003, 04:17:18 pm »

I have all of my music stored on my computer in .ape format and use MC9 as my software. I am interested in purchasing a digital audio receiver so that I can play music in my living room - as opposed to my office, where my computer sits. Most of the receivers that I have looked into support .mp3 and some apple-formats; does anyone know of a receiver that will work with .ape files?

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re:Question about digital audio receivers and .ape files
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 05:55:52 pm »

I think that your best bet would be to find one that played WAV files and have a program on the computer (maybe MC can do it) that converts the APE's to WAV's on the fly, when the receiver asks for it.

Not that it's integrated, but a device like the KISS Network DVD player looks like it can do it.  They even have one that has an integrated 5ch amp in it.  Or you could get a device like the new Slimp3 device that has WAV in and a digital output.  

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16922

Though, if you're going for really high quality sound, you might want to consider getting a really good sound card (RME, CardDeluxe, Lynx, etc.) and connect it up to your system.

kiwi

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 08:19:29 pm »

Well, if MC9 supported FLAC then you could use the SlimDevices Squeezebox, which plays FLACs directly.

Maybe their server software can transcode APEs on the fly, you'd have to check it out. By the way, their server is free.

It would be nice if MC9s Media Server would inter-operate with the Slim devices. Right now I can export playlists and use them with the Slim server, but of course I can't playback smartlists.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 10:34:57 pm »

Supported through server-side decoding

Ahh.. yeah, a plugin to do serverside decoding of APEs would be great.  I wonder how are it is to implement.   Hopefully their code is nice an modular.

kiwi

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 10:43:18 pm »

rcvd. and email from the folks that make the slimp3 -

"APE isn't supported now, but could be if there's a command line APE  decoder.  Does such a thing exist?"

then i posted this same question on monkeysaudio forum, and got the reponse " Of cource it's exists. it's called MAC.exe and shipped with full installation of Monkey Audio. Don't use MAC.exe from Alpha-GUI since it have same name but not command line. Use 3.97 package."

just sent a reply to the folks that make the slimp3, but not sure what the next step will be - i will post the response in this thread.

can anyone generally explain what the command line decoder is? and since it exists, why that would enable a digital audio rcvr to  play .ape files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up