INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Portable Drives PU work with ihp-120?  (Read 1713 times)

vbclown

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Handheld Portable Drives PU work with ihp-120?
« on: November 17, 2003, 07:26:31 am »

I have an ihp-120 and Version 9.0.66 of the Portable Drives Plug-in install (for MC 9.1.291), when I add my Iriver ihp-120 to the computer it does up as a drive in the MyComputer Tree in MC but not in the CD, DVD, & Handheld tree.  The Plug-in does not recognize the Irviver.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the ihp-120 not even supported as a removable drive device?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Handheld Portable Drives PU work with ihp-120?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 09:45:34 am »

vbclown,

Right click on your ihp drive in Explorer and select 'Properties'. Does it show as a removable or a fixed drive? My best guess is that it appears to your system as a fixed drive and that is why it is not detected. This is fairly easily changed. Before I make the change, try drag and dropping a file onto the drive in Windows and let me know if the player recognizes the file when you detach and try to play.

Steve

vbclown

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 03:27:52 pm »

File Explorer calls it Type:  Local Disk (fat 32).  So it would seem you are exactly right.

I can absolutely drag files to the device from File Explorer and play them immediately on the device, it's how iriver intends us to load music on the device (they don't provide any software for moving files to or from the ihp-120).

Thanks,

Jason

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 03:38:33 pm »

Jason,

What is the default drive name (volume label) for the player when viewed in Explorer.

vbclown

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 07:10:08 pm »

IHP-100

(that is all caps letter I, letter H, letter P)

Just to confirm, it's the ihp-120 device but the firmware calls it the ihp-100 (according to iriver, because it's part of the ihp-100 series).  Presumably the ihp-100 ( a 10 meg version of the ihp-120) has the same default name.

Your help is greatly apprecaited!

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 09:46:02 am »

Jason,

Can you test to see if the player works under MC and if it does, I will add code to automatically detect the default name you have given me. To test, either rename your player "JUKEBOX" and test, or go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives->Configure and enter the name that the player currently has.  

Thanks,

Steve

Palazzo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 02:12:39 pm »

Just to chip in - I'm interested in this, and did as you suggested above, and it works! I'm having a little trouble with the playlists and the (understandable) way MC9 doesn't recognise existing files in IHP-120. But I have something to play with.

Thanks.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 02:14:55 pm »

I'm gonna try tonight with my iFP-380T as well. It's a different series but may work.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

vbclown

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 05:15:32 pm »

Yep, when I rename to JUKEBOX it is recognized as a Handheld by MC.  Thanks!

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 05:17:48 pm »

No luck for me. It's a different series, so I didn't really think it would work. Mine doesn't show up in Windows Explorer at all when it's plugged in. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for a plugin. :)

crow

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 09:16:57 am »

Palazzo,

MC should recognize files that exist on the player and playlists should work. Perhaps you can play around with it a bit and let me know if you are still having any problems.

Crow,

Sorry it doesn't work. We will try for a plugin implementation at some point. Have you tried the WMDM implementation which is part of MC. (Go to Plugin Manager-> Portable Drives->Configure and click the checkbox for WMDM)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 05:14:38 pm »

Steve,

Yeah, the WMDM box is checked and it still doesn't see the iRiver.

Thanks,

crow

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 09:26:55 am »

Crow,

Thanks for the update. We will have to approach this from the angle of trying to create a plugin.

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 09:53:23 am »

Steve,

Thanks.

Just to let you know, iRiver provides a simple app that lets you transfer files. It's called the iRiver Manager, and I believe it's a free download on their website (I have the iFP-380T model, with 128MB flash memory). All it does is provide an explorer-type interface. The window is divided in half; the top half shows your computer, and the bottom half shows the files on the handheld. You're supposed to drag files from the top to the bottom.

What I do now is I use MC to automatically generate a Smartlist for me (I have the word "gym" in the keyword field of a bunch of tunes, and the smartlist pulls 125MB of "gym"-labeled tunes).  I open the iRiver Manager and put it side-by-side with MC, then drag the list from MC to the lower half of the window in the iRiver Manager. The nice thing about it is it keeps the files in the order they are in the playlist -- it doesn't re-order them alphabetically or anything. Ideally, I'd like to just be able to right click the list and "Send To > iRiver portable," or drag and drop in the tree (or even the action window).

The other issue is voice recording. The iRiver unit features a voice recorder, which records voice memos in REC format, in a designated folder on the unit (which is there by default, I think called VOICE). The REC files are associated with RealPlayer. But when you go to transfer them off the unit to your PC, a window pops up and tells you to convert to WAV or MP3, which it then does for you (I tried transferring to my PC without converting, then playing the REC file in RealPlayer, but it didn't work -- it tried to download a codec/plugin and failed).

I know that this is probably not high on the list of priorities, which is fine with me (obviously I have a work-around that functions fine). I just thought I'd share what I knew if it could be of any help to you, now or in the future.

Thanks again,  :)

crow
Pages: [1]   Go Up