INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert APE to MP3 and burn CD: How?  (Read 1811 times)

mjunky

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Convert APE to MP3 and burn CD: How?
« on: November 22, 2003, 09:11:57 am »

I would like to burn MP3 compilation CDs from my APE collection.  Is there a method of converting on the fly that does not overwrite the ripped APE files?  I have not found it if it exists.

Thanks
mjunky

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Convert APE to MP3 and burn CD: How?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 07:14:22 pm »

Conversions on the fly (in regards to CD's) are limited to mp3 to CD audio at this point...AFAIK. As far as overwrites, do you mean overwriting the ape entry in the library with mp3 for any particular track? To avoid this, uncheck  "Update Library" under Convert Format>Convert Files>Options (button)>Converter.

10-27

mjunky

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 08:13:54 pm »

Thanks.

Yes, overwriting the APE entry in the library with the MP3 conversion is what I was refering to.  

Feature Request: On the fly conversion to MP3 for writing to data CDs.  Should be a popular item given the popularity of stand alone and car players (CD/DVD) that support MP3 formats.  Obviously not the prefered route for audiophiles but given that I have a 6 hour drive tomorrow it sure would be nice to have ALL of the kids tunes (Literally!; Old McDonald, BINGO, etc) on a single CD (NOTE:  They have headphones to avoid subjecting the adults to their prefered music choices.)

Thanks
MJUNKY

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 08:24:55 pm »

(NOTE:  They have headphones to avoid subjecting the adults to their prefered music choices.)

but they can still talk and sing
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mjunky

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 08:34:53 pm »

arrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!?!?!

I missed that part!

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 09:02:44 pm »

junky > On the fly conversion to MP3 for writing to data CDs

If it can be done with mp3's, then the other formats would be a breeze. Encoding speed with LAME (using the presets) is definitely slow when compared to the encoders I've used (ogg, flac, ape). There's faster mp3 encoders out there but quality wise, they don't compare to LAME.

10-27

edit: I would think about 10 watts should be enough to drown out the kids

mjunky

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 07:02:18 am »

Looked at the "Updata Library" possibility and it does not seem to do what I need.  Note that in the file conversion dialog you have a destination path to "Move" the new file to.  I want a copy in a new location, preferably directly to CD.  While it is pretty straight forward to copy entire albums and do this manually, it is pretty much impractical for a compilation of MP3s that could be hundreds of songs.

So, unless I'm missing something I would suggest an option to

a) create an MP3 (or format of choice) copy in a new location and
b) make one of the possible locations be a new CD

Thanks
MJUNKY

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 09:28:04 am »

Actually, the first part of your request is present. I use the "Convert Format..." command to transcode my APEs to MP3s to use on my iPod.

The way I have it set up is that it takes my existing APEs, reencodes them as MP3s & saves them to a different directory, then adds the MP3s to the library without overwriting the already-existing APEs.

At least that will give you a start. You'll then have to get the MP3s from the "Recently Imported" playlist and burn them to CDs in the regular way.

Maybe this helps...

Of course, transcoding exists for the handhelds, so maybe JRiver will be able to extend it to CDs.

Best,
Brad

BigAl

• Recent member
  • ...You wanna what???
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 03:14:53 am »

Brad,

Actually, the first part of your request is present. I use the "Convert Format..." command to transcode my APEs to MP3s to use on my iPod.

I use the same feature to create a separate mp3 libary for various zones around the house.  The APE libary just gets used with the "good" audio hardware.  Just wondering if you've got it to only convert if the target MP3 file doesn't exist?  I've got 5000+ APE files and only want to convert the new additions to the library if possible.  Tried the "skip duplicates" option but I think it only checks the source (APE) rather than target.  For me it ends up creating another MP3 file with (1) appended.

Cheers, Al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up