INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom field idea  (Read 2445 times)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Custom field idea
« on: December 03, 2003, 08:12:10 am »

Maybe this exists already and I just can't figure it out.

I'd like to be able to make a custom field that contained a checkbox that I could quicly click on or off.

In my case I am adding fields to my photo views to show which pictures I have had printed and which ones I have backed up to a CD.

In MS Access you can create a field that is a checkbox and the sql values are 0 and -1 for unchecked and checked I believe.

Is something like this possible now or is this another in the long list of feature requests?

I know I could just make a text field and put a Y in it when it is true, but being able to click would be very handy.

Thanks.

Not listening to anything on Media Center 9.1 because I'm at work....  :(

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Custom field idea
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:47:27 am »

bjsolem,

You read my mind -- I was just about to post this very same thing.  I have a 128 MB flash player that I use for the gym, with a practical limit of 124 MB. I have tagged tons of files with "Gym" in the keyword field, and use a random Smartlist to pull 124 MB of "Gym"-labeled tunes, to fill up my player before working out. It would be SOOOO much easier to do this with a checkbox....

So, count for in for this idea!

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 08:55:55 am »

I knew there would be other good uses for this.

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more myself once the awesome development team implements it.   ;D

nila

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 09:57:18 am »

Basically just a Boolean field type with: Clear/Set as the only option for it :)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 10:11:47 am »

Yeah, ideally I'd like it to just be a column in my main view, so that I can check off my gym-worthy songs as I listen, without having to go into tagging mode. Sort of like the rating function, but instead of stars, a checkbox....

Nila, do you mean that it's already there?

Thanks,

crow

nila

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 12:39:47 pm »

I thought it was, it was previously.

Upon checking though it seems to be gone now :(

Guess they took it out in a build somewhere.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 01:54:12 pm »

I know I could just make a text field and put a Y in it when it is true, but being able to click would be very handy.

Well, you can do a slow double-click to edit any field that is displayed as a column. So, it's almost like a checkbox. Just an extra keyboard tap to put the "Y" in there.

Rob

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 03:50:52 pm »

Well, you can do a slow double-click to edit any field that is displayed as a column. So, it's almost like a checkbox. Just an extra keyboard tap to put the "Y" in there.

The real time saver is not having to touch the keyboard at all though.  

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 04:40:10 pm »

You can still avoid having to use the keyboard by setting the field with an allowable value of just 'Y'.  Then you'll be able to use the action window to select Y from a combo box.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 07:21:59 pm »

You can still avoid having to use the keyboard by setting the field with an allowable value of just 'Y'.  Then you'll be able to use the action window to select Y from a combo box.
Maybe I'm being picky, but I'd like to be able click through a whole bunch of items in list view without using the properties etc.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 07:30:55 pm »

I agree. While the suggestions are helpful, I'd still rather just be able to tag with one click. When I'm tagging thousands of files, it helps to be able to do things quickly.

crow

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 02:02:58 am »

Or set up a remote control and use Girder.  Then you can assign the task of setting this tag to a single button on your remote - like a macro.

Alternatively, maybe the new auto-complete in list view function in build 315 will help though I haven't tried it yet.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 05:08:10 am »

This could be useful for one of my tags too.  I have a field set up called instrumental?  Its a boolean fiel used by a smartlist for finding which files I have that need lyrics.  The original smartlist was setup simply as a lyrics=[] but this meant that all the instrumental files like Jean Michel Jarre or Soundtrack music got pulled in to hence the need for the tag.  I set it up as a text with the Yes entry as an already present option but a boolean or check would be a much better option...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up