INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 43551 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2003, 01:37:32 pm »

I'm not using AM to transfer, just to download the audible files. And I don't have iTUNES.

When using AM it needs to identify your portable device. I use MC for transfering but the aa files don't always play.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2003, 04:41:32 pm »

Regarding the missing playlists issue.  I've had it happen when not importing new tunes into the MC9 library. That's not to say that isn't a cause as well, I'm just saying that it's not the only cause.

It seems to me that it could also be related to editing smartlists that are eventually sync'd.  What I did the other night was edit my master smartlist so it no longer excluded the genre "holiday tunes".  That's all I did.  I then sync'd and sure enough, all my playlists were gone.

A rebuild and a resync got them back...but.....

Adam

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2003, 01:59:05 am »

Following Ashawley's post - just to say that, when I am importing, the files are automatically adding to my smartlists, so maybe it's the additions here that are causing.  I will try later when I get home, both 1) Big changes to smartlists with no importing and 2) No changes to smartlists with big importing.

Mark.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2003, 10:06:01 am »

Steve,

When the message box "Some files are not in the MC Data Base and could not be updated" displays, it includes a list of numbers. I guess that these refer to the files.

My question is How do they refer to the files?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
Missing Playlists
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2003, 10:11:14 am »

Further to the missing playlists posts:

I have scnyched twice today. All playlists in tact.

I then ripped 6 CDs and re synched. All playlists in tact.

Looks like ripping doesn't cause the problem. Maybe it is importing.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2003, 10:30:18 am »

Okay, I'm with mindracing -- my aa files are also not playing. They move over to the iPod (at least they appear on all the appropriate lists), but when I pick one to play, nothing happens.

I had another funny thing happen. I have two CDs that show up on the iPod 8 or 10 times! As far as I can tell, they are all valid. I re-synchronized, but they are all still there. Gonna try initializing and see if that does it.

Odd.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
Missing Playlists
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2003, 10:59:29 am »

I just recorded a 30 min track from Line In and deleted 2 tracks from MC and then Synched.

All playlists in tact!

themurph

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2003, 12:25:40 pm »

Running MC 9.1.313

Same Playlist problem. They show up on the initial synch, but modifiying any playlists and resynching causes the playlists to disappear.

Rebuild and resynch fixes this.

I already have a problem with paying $40 for Media Playing software. That's ridiculous when there are so many free or cheaper ones. I don't need another Media Player. I just need one that synchs reliably with my Ipod. But I really do like MC9. But if the IPod synch isn't working in 11 days when my trial runs out, you've lost a sale. I'm not going to pay to Beta Test your software. I'd go the Media Jukebox 8 route, but that's even less reliable.

-murph

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2003, 12:38:18 pm »

Just FYI, works just fine if you remove iTunes from your system and go to the last stable version of media center.  Right now steve is attempting to extend the functionality to support some of the things iTunes does and to properly support the co-existence of itunes with mediacenter so that you can use AAC encoded files as well as purchase files from the iTunes music store.

If you do not wish to beta test, then don't. Uninstall iTunes and use the stable version, but there is no need to get all pissy about someone attempting to make the best of a bad situation (apple does not provide 3rd party developers with complete information on the ipod's capabilities and steve has come a long way in a short time since iTunes was released in terms of the stability of the latest plug-in).

As a customer I can honestly say i have never had the privelege to use a better supported product than MC.  (I am a Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer and have a great deal of experience working with software and engineers and JRiver listens to their users, interacts with them and reacts to changes in the marketplace and the technological landscape better than any other comapny i have dealt with.  Nearly every single feature request i have made has been met.  I have three left:

Support for M4A/M4P/AA over Media Server
Support for Dynamic Playlists in the iPod
Support for updating playcounts and last played information from Media Server

themurph

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2003, 12:52:31 pm »

ITunes is not installed on my system. I tried it for about 2 days and uninstalled. Piece of Crap. I can't believe all the positive reviews for it. Are they using the same program I was using???

I was happliy using EphPod until my music collection outgrew my Ipod. Once that happened, it was too difficult in EphPod to pick and choose which files/folders to synch. So that's when I started looking at Anapod Explorer and Media Center 9.

I didn't mean to diss the Support People here. They are defintely on top of things and working hard. My issue is with $40 for a Media Player. If Media Jukebox 8 worked with the Ipod, I'd buy that version for $25, sounds much more fair to me. All of the extras in MC9 - video, photos, DVD, etc - are never going to be used by me.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2003, 05:19:40 pm »

You'd probably be surprised at how much you might use the rest of the functionality if you gave it a chance...for me the clincher on buying media center was media server, being able to access my music collection from work and being able to use media center for my tivo via media center were what fueled my purchase decision, then i got an ipod and was thrilled to learn that it supported that as well.  On top of all of that comes the smartlist capability, the incredible library management features, the various plugins out there (the artwork finder in particular).  I use media center to manage well over 10,000 files (music and photos) with that number looking to skyrocket now that i got my photographer significant other a 6.3 megapixel SLR Canon Digital Rebel 300D :)

Seriously, give it a try for some of this stuff and you will be stunned at how well it really works...best $40 i have ever spent on software.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2003, 12:32:48 pm »

Everyone (with disappearing playlists),

I have posted a new iPod plugin (v 9.0.82) here....

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=8

which includes some modifications that I hope will resolve whatever is causing this.

Everyone with Audible playback issues,

I cannot duplicate the failed playback. If you can, format your iPod from Windows so that it has nothing on it, disconnect and reconnect and then transfer some Audible files with MC. My best guess is that the copy protection is getting screwed up by another application in the background. When I format cleanly in Windows, files play fine.

Henk,

The full playlist path was introduced because people who don't keep unique names for their playlists were stuck with only one playlist because iPod does not handle Playlist paths.  A switch is possible. In regards to disappearing playlists, please get plugin 9.0.82 mentioned above. In regards to the doubles, the only way I know that this can happen is if you reimport a song into MC which you had previously transferred to the iPod.

Ashley,

When the message box "Some files are not in the MC Data Base and could not be updated" displays, it includes a list of numbers. I guess that these refer to the files.

My question is How do they refer to the files?

The numbers are the filenames on iPod. When viewing the 'Filename' on iPod from MC, look for the number.

themurph,

Please try the new plugin for a fix to the playlists. In regards to the $40, this is a reasonable (necessary to sustain ourselves) cost for what we provide.

CautionESPN,

Thanks for taking the time to respond so positively.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2003, 12:35:11 pm »

I'm a little confused about the iPod plugin...

Will this new version of the plugin (link above) be automatically included in new builds of MC (314 and up)?

Or do we upgrade to 314 and then apply the plugin?  For previous builds I have just installed MC and it has worked with my iPod OK.  Any advice?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2003, 01:07:24 pm »

Madcow:

If it follows previous practice going forward you'll get the new plugin w/the new MC9 build.

Steve is just doing us all a favor since there probably isn't a new build scheduled.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2003, 01:43:58 pm »

Madcow,

Adam  is correct, (thanks Adam).  The new plugin is actually 9.0.82.

Thanks,

Steve

btvillarin

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2003, 08:53:53 pm »

Ok Steve, one down, 6 more playlists to go... :D

One playlist was there (not sure if all the songs were in that one), then a blank one, then the "On-The-Go" list.  *LoL*  I was in a rush, so I would've checked and emailed you my iTunesDB file.  Next time it happens again, I'll send it over.

Bryan

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2003, 09:38:03 pm »

Steve:

Gotta report the fix didn't work.  Sorry, but I got disappearing playlists.

This is what I did:

1. Downloaded patch.
2. Sync'd my normal sync: everything was fine all playlists there
3. Changed my Smartlists around a bit: I "un-excluded" a genre from my master smartlist and I created a new smartlist
4. Sync'd all my normal smartlists plus the new one
5. No Playlists on the iPod at all but the "On the Go" one.

Adam

btvillarin

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2003, 09:53:18 pm »

Oh yeah, I'll follow in Adam's steps and posting what I did:

1. Downloaded patch.
2. Synchronized my normal sync; smartlists disappeared.
3. Restored iPod via iPod Update Utility.
4. Initialized iPod within MC.
5. Synchronized; all smartlists OK.
6. Listened to two songs.
7. Synchronized; one smartlist, a blank, and the "On The Go" playlist showing.

Bryan

Henk

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2003, 11:50:39 pm »

Hi Steve,

Henk,

The full playlist path was introduced because people who don't keep unique names for their playlists were stuck with only one playlist because iPod does not handle Playlist paths.  A switch is possible. In regards to disappearing playlists, please get plugin 9.0.82 mentioned above. In regards to the doubles, the only way I know that this can happen is if you reimport a song into MC which you had previously transferred to the iPod.

Thanks for the reply.

A  switch would be cool :)

I'll try the new plugin, although I think Adam already tested it with a negative result...
I'll definitely follow the thread as it seems I'm not the only one.

You're right about the duplicates. I do reimport the files. I actually rip the files to a local
disk on my laptop, then sync this with my iPod, afterwhich I delete them from the library
move them to a much bigger networked disk and reimport them. Then if I sync my iPod
with the same files I get the duplicates. I hadn't realized there was a link there.

I do this rip-move-reimport because I don't have the big disk in my laptop (with the
firewire) and the network is not always connected to my laptop, plus local disk syncing
is much faster than the networked disk. The whole thing is kinda stupid but I haven't
figured out how to move the files in MC 9 (so without the delete-move-reimport).
Any tips on this are much appreciated...

Cheers,

Henk.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2003, 12:38:31 am »

Henk,

Just right click the files you want to move and choose Library Tools-> Move/Copy disc file, choose where you want them to go and click move, and that will do it.

Henk

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2003, 01:16:36 am »

Hi mindracing,

I'll go of and try strait way, thanks,

Henk.

SteveG

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2003, 11:38:50 am »

Everyone with missing playlists,

Please get the new plugin (9.0.83) and hopefully your problems will go away. If you already have missing playlists, you probably will need to reinitialize or at least rebuild the database and then resync.

Thanks.

Steve

brhacioglu

• I'm a llama!
need help!
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2003, 12:24:14 pm »

Hi,

I can't get my iPod to work with MC. I followed the steps listed in the help section but I have two problems:

1. When I try to "restore" using iPod updater, I get an error message saying "can't unmount iPod" (not sure whether this is an MC problem but  I'd still appreciate help)
2. MC won't let me format the iPod. I get a simple error message "format failed"

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

BH

brhacioglu

• I'm a llama!
Re: need help
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2003, 12:53:09 pm »

By the way, here is the system info that I forgot to send in the previous post.

Media Center Registered 9.1.281 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
Intel Unknown 71 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 49 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3315.2902 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: MATSHITA UJDA330            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2003, 02:00:08 pm »

BH,

I would suggest getting MC 9.1.316 from here.....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17325

and plugin 9.0.83 from here...

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/mcplugins.pl?type=8

When you say you can't format the iPod from MC, are you right clicking on the drive letter and trying to select 'Initialize' under CD, DVD and Handhelds? This is what you should be doing. If that is failing, find your iPod drive letter in Windows Explorer and format it from there so that it is totally clean. Then disconnect and reconnect the iPod and run MC. You will be prompted to run 'Initialize' and then you should be all set.

Steve

btvillarin

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2003, 04:40:37 pm »

Steve:

Plugin 9.0.83 didn't work.  Playlists disappeared.  iTunesDB file comin' at ya...

SteveG

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2003, 10:46:42 am »

Can anyone else confirm Bryan's report of failure?  

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2003, 10:58:16 am »

Yep, same here.

1) Synced
2) Checked iPod - playlists intact
3) Added 10 files to MC
4) Synced again - blank playlist.  Needed a DB rebuild.

Mark.

SteveG

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2003, 01:41:13 pm »

Mark, Bryan and Others,

Lets make sure that we are comparing apples to apples. I just did extensive testing on MC 9.1.316 with Plugin 9.0.83. I started with a clean (reinitialized ) iPod. I synched 2000 files with 40 smartlists. No problem. Disconnected, reconnected. Added some smartlists, deleted some smartlists, modified some smartlists. Disconnect, reconnect. No problem.  I did this cycle 10 times with no problems.

Can you verify the versions that I have, and start with a clean iPod? If the disappearing reoccurs, try replicating it with as small a number of playlists and files as possible and let me know how you did it.

Thanks,

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2003, 02:40:39 pm »

Steve,

Happy to try your suggestion - but please would you answer a couple of questions first?

1.  In your tests, did you delete / re-add files, or just remove / add files from smartlists?  I never have problems with the lists, it's only when I have to transfer files to the iPod

2.  You suggest Plugin 9.0.82.  I already installed 9.0.83 - how should I revert to the previous one?

Thanks for all the continuing efforts!

Mark

SteveG

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2003, 03:51:13 pm »

Mark,

Use 9.0.83 but get it again after you read this just to be sure. I deleted and readded files to the smartlists based as I modified rules (i.e. including previously excluded Artists, and excluding previously included Genres) similarly to the tests you outlined previously. I did not try deleting files from MC and then reimporting them because this is already known to not work well if the files are already exported to iPod and you are synching.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2003, 04:10:28 pm »

Steve:

I didn't post this last night, but just so you know I did NOT have problems with missing playlists last night.

I sync'd, all OK.
Edited the rules on a smartlist and synced again, all was well.

That second step was where I usually ran into trouble.

I'd just recently rebuilt the iPod database.  Perhpas that's why I didn't run into the problem.

I'll do more extensive testing tonight.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2003, 04:47:49 pm »

Adam,

Thanks for posting your results. I am taking off soon, so I will pick up here next week.

Thanks,

Steve

btvillarin

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2003, 06:12:21 pm »

I'm going from Smartlist to Smartlist, coping a few files at a time to a static Playlist.  So far, 384 songs (and 1 playlist) later, I'm still OK.

I was posting because I wanted to ask a question.  Does the Smartlist rule format have to be in a certain order?  I'm just wondering if one of the Smartlists is botching things up.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2003, 07:00:23 pm »

Are your Smartlists built around ratings?  For some reason MC has stopped transferring all my ratings over, as of a couple of builds ago.  About to try a full database reload but I wonder if that explains things.

btvillarin

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2003, 07:12:11 pm »

I have a theory!

A bunch (not all) of my Smartlists exclude a folder of audio cuz it's not music.

Before, most were like this:

-[Filename (path)]=F:\Music\Comedy

I think the missing trailing slash was the culprit.  I quickly added a slash to all of these so that they all look like:

-[Filename (path)]=F:\Music\Comedy\

Two synchronizes later, everything's still intact.

Just a heads up in case you're one of the people who see their playlists disappearing from their iPods.  ;)

btvillarin

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2003, 07:23:20 pm »

I recreated two of my favorite Smartlists, changing the ordering of the rules and stuff...and everythings still great!  By George, I think I've got it!!!   :o

C'mon....somebody post and help me verify this...   ?

btvillarin

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2003, 03:49:31 am »

Nope, that wasn't it.  I listened to a bunch of songs over the past few hours doing some work, and...coming home to sync...the playlists disappeared.  Back to square one.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2003, 07:23:49 am »

Steve,

I have some good news.  My problems now seem almost fixed.  I totally wiped the iPod, and during multiple syncs, playlist changes, deletions, re-syncs etc I only faced the problem once.  This happened the only time when I did a sync, change, re-sync without ejecting the iPod in between - not sure if this could be relevant.  My 'standard' test of importing 10 new songs to an existing smartlist now works fine.

Anyway, fingers crossed it stays okay.

Many thanks for all your efforts in making this work.

Mark.

neo

• Recent member
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2003, 12:46:09 pm »

All:

I am also still loosing playlists, even after having all of the latest versions, as follows:

#####
Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 792 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 398 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
#####

Also the 9.0.83 ipod plugin.  Let me know if you need any more feedback/information/files.

Note that the playlists disappeared after doing the following on my pc:

* Lots of ratings
* Modify some tags
* Changing filenames to fall in line with modified tags

I would think the last one above would be most suspicious.  Any changes I made on the pod itself did not hurt anything at all.

n

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2003, 10:50:01 am »

Steve,

Unfortunately, my joy was short-lived.  It seems to work about 80% of the time now, but sometimes they still just disappear.  I can no longer predict what will and what won't work!

This is what I did this time :

1.  Synced, to update playcounts etc.
2.  Disconnected, checked - all okay
3.  Imported 16 new files.  These were automatically picked up by one of my smartlists.  I also added them to another existing 'standard' playlist.
4.  Synced.
5.  Disconnected - no playlists :(

I did exactly the same last night, on 2 separate occasions, and both times the playlists were intact.  It's baffling me!  iTunes DB is on its way to you, in case that helps at all.

Mark.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2003, 02:43:42 pm »

Loss of playlists does not appear, to me, to be related to an itunes databse, as I don't have one.  It seems any time I import newly ripped mp3's & synch, I lose all playlists.  Only solution is restore & new download.

Thanks,
Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2003, 02:54:06 pm »

The way I understand it, if you have an ipod, you have the iTunesDB file whether you know it or not.  It's how the iPod organizes everything.  I *think* it's a hidden file on the iPod itself.  It really has nothing to do with iTunes itself.

--Matt

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2003, 06:58:10 pm »

Thanks- I didn't realize that.  Oh, well.

neo

• Recent member
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2003, 07:34:55 am »

All:

Just my $0.02.

If I remember correctly, MC does not necessarily write updated file or library information immediately, and in particular, it does not save/update changed smartlists until you try to view another smartlist, or your library.  I seemed to get "good" (i.e., reproducable disappearing playlists) results by changing a smartlist somehow, and _without_ jumping to another screen, immediately syncing my pod.  Maybe a good interim solution is whenever you make any of the following changes:

* Import new files into library
* Rename/move files
* Change id3 tags or any MC library information (i.e., ratings) (NOTE: If this theory is correct, even listening to files could goof things up, as it changes the library [playcounts and last time played])
* Change smartlists
* Change program options (I would not think this is related, but it can't hurt to include it.)

be sure to close MC, re-open it, and the sync.  As for myself, I will try this, to see if it prevents the problem.

n

btvillarin

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2003, 09:44:47 am »

neo:

I think I'll try that as well.  I listened to some stuff off my iPod last night when going to bed.  This morning, so it could get updated, I just plugged it back into my computer, fired up MC, and did a sync...and nothing else.  Result: smooth update.  Only one instance, but yesterday, each time I tried to sync (3 times), I ended up having to rebuild and resync.

If one makes any changes, try closing MC and reopening before running a sync.

We will see.   :o

SteveG

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2003, 11:09:28 am »

Everyone with playlist problems,

We need to try to narrow the problem down. All appears well for Adam and for me, 80% of the time for Mark, not often for neo and Bryan.

The question is what is the difference? Theorys of smartlist updating and various changes to smartlists have been advanced as well as newly imported files, but no one can reliably duplicate them. Last week Mark gave a specific example of removing tracks and readding them to a smartlist. I recreated this and fixed it in 9.0.83.  Please help me solve this. In order to solve it....

1) Swear to me that you have 9.1.316 and plugin 9.0.83 and that you are starting from a cleanly initialized iPod. I need to be certain that if you are having problems you have done this.

2) Keep testing limited to 1 smartlist/ playlist and 10 files at first until you start introducing variables. Verify that you can successfully synch this and then start adding files or playlists until you see the problem. When you do, stop and try to think about the last thing you changed. Try recreating the steps until the problem appears so that you can try to give me some reliable way to reproduce the problem.

3) If you report a problem tell me if you have 'Delete unselected files from Portable' or 'Sync data to MC' checked.

Thanks to anyone who can do some testing for me. Until I can recreate the problem here, fixing it is guesswork.

Thanks,

Steve

rhaehnel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2003, 02:27:54 pm »

I've run into the missing playlists problem fairly frequently as of late.  In general it seems to happen after creating a new playlist and trying to sync it to the pod.

I can almost always tell that the playlists will be gone from the ipod by looking at the playlists on the ipod via the MC9 'devices' view-  if my band playlists(a playlist that contains only songs by one band, but all their songs) contain songs from bands that are not supposed to be in the list then I can rest assured that the ipod playlists are hosed.   I'm guessing somehow the iTunesDBis getting corrupted, since a 'REbuild Database' and another sync wont even fix the problem-  it requires a 'Initialize Ipod and a complete resync.

btw, I'm using version 10, but I had the same issues w/ the lastest 9.1 betas as well.

neo

• Recent member
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2003, 07:32:58 pm »

Steve:

1) Swear to me that you have 9.1.316 and plugin 9.0.83 and that you are starting from a cleanly initialized iPod. I need to be certain that if you are having problems you have done this.

Will do.  But let us be clear on terms.  When you say "initialize", I assume you mean initialize in MC, and NOT ipod_update.exe/Restore.

2) Keep testing limited to 1 smartlist/ playlist and 10 files at first until you start introducing variables. Verify that you can successfully synch this and then start adding files or playlists until you see the problem. When you do, stop and try to think about the last thing you changed. Try recreating the steps until the problem appears so that you can try to give me some reliable way to reproduce the problem.

Actually, this is what I have been doing (single smartlist, minimal tracks).  However, this assumes that the problem is not related to the number of playlists, or the number of tracks in a given playlist.

I am wondering if there is some kind of logging capability that we can enable so that you can see exactly what the program is doing (as opposed to what we think we are doing).

3) If you report a problem tell me if you have 'Delete unselected files from Portable' or 'Sync data to MC' checked.

Will do.

I will go into windows in a few minutes and get started.  I will keep a log so it will be a semi-formal test procedure/record.

n

btvillarin

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2003, 09:47:44 pm »

I have this build and plugin version, and I've initialized my iPod after these two were installed.

I have verified 3 smartlists that have syncronized just fine today without any problem (3 times).

Best: [Rating]=>=4 ~s=9000 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
Best 1WK: [Media Type]=[Audio] [Rating]=>=4 [Last Played]=>10400 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
Comedy: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=2000 [Genre]=[Comedy]

Is there something wrong with any of these smartlists?

3+: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=7000 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
Alt. Only: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=7000 [Filename (path)]=F:\Music\Alternative
Not Rated: [media type]=[audio] [rating]==0 ~s=1000 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
1 Week Old: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=7000 [Last Played]=>10080 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
Best <1 WK: [Media Type]=[Audio] [Rating]=>=4 [Last Played]=<10400
Fast Music: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=7000 [BPM]=>=120 [Intensity]=>=4
Recent Imports: [Media Type]=[Audio] [Date Imported]=<=30240 ~s=1000
Slower Stuff: [Rating]=>=3 ~s=1000 [BPM]=<=40 [Intensity]=<3 -[Genre]=[Comedy]
Worst: [Rating]=<=2 -[Rating]==0

I don't usually change anything, especially when something happens.  But, I'm thinking that perhaps it's the way I contstructed one of the smartlists.

I hope I can get some input on the validity of the smarlists shown... :D

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up