INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rio Karma Support?  (Read 1853 times)

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Rio Karma Support?
« on: November 24, 2003, 08:59:01 pm »

I looked at some old threads about Rio Karma support and this device seems to be gaining popularity.  I'm thinking about getting one, but I was wondering if any more support has been added for it.

The last thread I could find dealt with build 268.

I am torn between an ipod and the Karma, and MC support *may* help make the decision easier.

--Matt

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Rio Karma Support?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 09:22:13 pm »

Personally, I don't know anything about the Rio Karma support (personally I've never really seen it mentioned, but I haven't been watching since I own an iPod). But I can say this: the iPod support is absolutely top-notch.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 09:40:32 pm »

Cool, one of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Karma is the massive advantage it has in the battery life. (15 hours)

If it doesn't have a way to support something like Smartlists though, it's probably ruled out.

I am glad to hear that the ipod support is good.  I've been using MC9 to serve media to my Tivo HMO for a while now and I love it, if I can incorporate a portable device into my MC9 'world' I would be very happy.

--Matt

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 10:44:49 pm »

Add ogg & flac support to Karma advantages. If it can be seen by the OS as a removable drive, then MC shouldn't have any trouble transferring files to it. I'm waiting for the 40 gigger.

10-27

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 11:10:06 pm »

I think, with the drivers that it ships with, that it can be seen as a removeable drive.  

What I'm more concerned with is playlist support.  If anyone has a Rio Karma and has messed with it in MC, what have you found?

--Matt

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 05:53:45 am »

bump

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 08:24:35 am »

Surely it supports m3u's (the playlist standard if ever there was one). I'd check over at Hydrogen Audio. I know a few guys there have one.

10-27

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 08:54:24 am »

Matt,

We don't have a Rio Karma here to test, so I cannot specifically comment on how MC works with it. What I can tell you is that MC provides built in support for any player that interacts with your PC as a removable or fixed drive. We also provide generic WMDM support which should cover all of the newer Rio devices. I have tested it with the Cali, Chiba, and Nitrus and was successful with all of them.

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 09:49:12 am »

So, in general, how does the 'generic' support handle smartlists, or is it only for drag and drop of files?

--Matt

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 02:05:55 pm »

Matt,

For generic players that appear as a removable drive, MC creates a folder on the player and populates it with the files that appear in MC for the smartlist. If the Karma supports playlists in its WMDM solution, MC will also.

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 02:37:12 pm »

gotcha.

I think I'm going to go with the ipod anyway, I am just kind of investigating now.

It seems that the Karma doesn't really support anything like MC's Smartlists or iTunes' Smart Playlists natively.

It will let you create them on the go, and it has it's own "DJ" that basically has similar lists to the "Auto Smartlists" included with MC, but it doesn't seem to have the customization of playlists that I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info though, and I'm sure there are others who are interested in the Karma, I haven't ruled it out *completely* yet.

--Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up