INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problems--ASIO related?  (Read 1447 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Playback problems--ASIO related?
« on: November 06, 2003, 09:06:16 pm »

I've had a long-standing problem with MC & the TheaterTek DVD program. It never bothered me much before, but then I started using TheaterTek more for DVD playback.

Whenever I use TT, subsequent attempts to play music with MC give me no sound. Everything looks as if it should be playing, but nothing is coming out of my sound card.

I use the SPDIF pass-through in TT and the ASIO playback mode in MC. ASIO playback works from WinAmp in the same situation.

Anyone seen this kind of behavior before? Any suggestions?

Brad

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
Re:Playback problems--ASIO related?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 06:46:10 am »

what soundcard are you using? I had a similar problem with an M-Audio 24-96

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 07:50:54 am »

Interesting.... I use an M-Audio DiO 24/96. I'm using the "beta" 5.0.31 drivers that are supposedly tuned for better performance with DVD player applications.

Were you able to resolve your difficulty?

Best,
Brad

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 08:34:09 am »

I think the issue is TT uses multichannel and MC uses 2

My problem was....
eg.
If I mapped zone A to specified channels of the M-Audio ASIO
If I mapped zone B to different specified channels of the M-Audio ASIO

swapping zones over rides the settings above and all zones play to the same channels

The only way I overcame it was to use the analogue output for one zone and the S/PDIF for the other

Try using DSP output format to set MC to play back at the same settings as TT?

ctrevith

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 11:57:20 am »

I have Media Center and it has settings that imply that it supports ASIO.  It looks like people are having issues with ASIO and the m-Audio cards.

-Does MC work in ASIO mode with either the m-Audio Delta 410 or the Audiophile 2496?

Also, the 410 has more I/O capability but the 2496 seems to have better specs on paper for SPDIF pass through.

-Are there any other major differences in quality, compatibility or flexibility between the two cards?

My priorities are digital pass through quality, followed by compatibility, and flexibility.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

ctrevith

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 01:05:44 pm »

Thanks Mad_Chemist

I'm now running a Delta 410 and haven't had any issues with ASIO playback in MC. I'm also running TT. Everything is solid.

Questions:

1. Are you using spdif or analog playback?

2. What m-Audio driver versions do you use?

3. OS Used?

4. Have you ever tried DTS-Audio (not DTS movie)... if so do you use MC for that?

Thanks!

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 10:18:47 pm »

Questions:

1. Are you using spdif or analog playback?

SPDIF, actually the Toslink connection on my Dio 24/96.

2. What m-Audio driver versions do you use?

Also the 5.0.31 HTPC-optimized driver

3. OS Used?

Win2k SP3

4. Have you ever tried DTS-Audio (not DTS movie)... if so do you use MC for that?

Yep. I have 2 discs. A Diana Krall and a Lyle Lovett. Both sound fantastic! I ripped them as WAVs and compressed them with Monkey's Audio. Lossy compression won't work--it'll corrupt the bitstream.

Best,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 10:24:28 pm »

I think the issue is TT uses multichannel and MC uses 2
Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I assume you are referring to the fact that TT SPDIF pass-thru sends the full DVD 5.1 information through the sound card, while MC is only sending 2 channels (2.0).

That shouldn't matter--bits is bits. Besides, I've sent DTS-CD tracks via MC and they work fine.

You may be on to something in the switching from the ASIO driver model in MC to the ?? driver model in TT. I don't know that TT allows you to use ASIO...

My problem was....
eg.
If I mapped zone A to specified channels of the M-Audio ASIO
If I mapped zone B to different specified channels of the M-Audio ASIO

swapping zones over rides the settings above and all zones play to the same channels

The only way I overcame it was to use the analogue output for one zone and the S/PDIF for the other
Are you referring to mapping the different zones to different ASIO channel offsets?

If so, that should work (unless there are bugs to be squashed). Set up Zone 1 to offset "0" to send to the analog outputs, Set up Zone 2 to offset "2" to send to the SPDIF, etc.

Maybe that's why it worked when you used the various outputs on your card.

Best,
Brad

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 03:27:40 am »

Brad

I havent downloaded a 2496 driver for a while I'll do that and try again

Cheers

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re:Playback problems--ASIO related or Driver problem?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 09:31:15 am »

Reviving this thread...and to recap:

I've been working on eliminating a problem with TT 1.5 & Media Center 9.1. The symptom is that I can play music with MC fine & dandy until I watch a DVD with TT. After I watch the DVD, I can get no sound from MC.

I've narrowed down the problem to TT automatically switching some options in my M-Audio Delta DiO driver. I have my configuration saved to use "Professional: Audio" settings in the S/PDIF tab of the Delta control panel. This allows me to play all of my music with MC (MP3, WAV, APE, CDs, & DTS CDs).

However, after playing any disc with TT, the settings get changed to "Professional: Non-Audio". It doesn't seem to matter if I select the DD 2.0, the DD 5.1, or the DTS 5.1 track from the DVD--any playback will switch the settings around. After that, the only music that will play are my DTS CDs.

Resetting the control panel to "Professional: Audio" or "Consumer" restores full playback from MC. As long as the driver stays set to "Professional: Audio", all of my music plays back. Unfortunately, TT seems to set the driver to "Professional: Non-Audio" at the drop of a hat. Is there a way to prevent this?

Possibly relevant system information:
TT v1.5.56 with:
   Output = SPDIF
   SPDIF Device = M-Audio Delta DiO S/PDIF
   Preference = DTS
MC v9.1.281 with:
   Output mode = ASIO
   Output settings-Device = M-Audio Delta ASIO
               Channel Offset = 2
M-Audio Delta DiO sound card
M-Audio Delta Drivers 5.10.00.0031
Denon 3802 Reciever
Toslink connection between reciever & DiO

Some threads where I found a similar problem mentioned (but no solutions) are:
http://forums.theatertek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4051
http://forums.theatertek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4135&perpage=20
http://forums.theatertek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4752&perpage=20

These threads seem to mention the problem was switching from Consumer to Professional mode. The receivers in those systems couldn't decode the "Professional" SPDIF output. I didn't find specific references to the type of professional output switching.

Does anyone have ideas about how to lock down my settings, prevent TT from switching to "Professional: Non-Audio", or getting the driver to auto switch back to "Audio" after using TT?

Thanks,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 10:57:50 am »

A combination bump & specific question:

Is there perhaps a way for MC to check the state of the M-Audio driver and force it to auto-switch back to "Consumer" mode or "Professional: Audio" when playback is started?

Information I've gotten in other forums leads me to believe that this is how it is supposed to work, I just don't know where the bug is--TT, MC, or M-Audio....

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up