INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XML and Media Center - A Primer  (Read 1634 times)

sraymond

XML and Media Center - A Primer
« on: November 28, 2003, 07:39:23 pm »

Guys,

I was wondering if anyone was interested in taking a look at an early draft of an XML Primer I am writing for the MC Community.  It started as an explanation of MC and how to make it web-centric.  I had started thinking ASP might be a good solution, but in the last three months, I've become quite convinced that XML is the way to go.

I am going to add a section on scott_r's great MCXMLExport plugin just as soon as he's ready to release it.  This will include two or three real examples (XAlbum, delimited text, ?) and maybe some general documentation.  I also want to include some Visio graphics that show what happens behind the scenes.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate some feedback on what's missing by way of the XML primer part.  Have I done a good job of giving enough basics without going too far into complications?

Here's the draft:  http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/Web-Based%20XML.pdf  Thanks in advance!

Scott-

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Re:XML and Media Center - A Primer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 12:14:43 am »

What you have so far is excellent in my opinion!  

I have asked a couple of places (including here, I'm sure) about what XML is and how it can benefit my life.  But, i never got a good answer because the topic is too large for this medium.  Your document is off to a very good start towards getting me 'up to speed' on the topic.  I can see how it could be very useful in a MC type application.

Keep us posted on its progress!
pretend this is something funny

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:XML and Media Center - A Primer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 04:02:09 am »

Good job, Scott.
Remember pls, if you are indeed going to add a part on MCXMLExport and XAlbum, pls make it 'end'-user friendly. Don't get me wrong: for me, having no XML-knowledge at all and in fact hardly being interested in the technical stuff, I am just interested in the results and how to get them in a step-by-step way. Results that can be used for other applications, like Excel, so it can be sorted/printed in a way that users may want.
I figure that I am not the only one.

Anyway, really looking forward to that part.
Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up