INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What sort of plug-in?  (Read 1596 times)

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
What sort of plug-in?
« on: July 06, 2004, 01:00:31 pm »

As described in another thead, I have written a stand-alone exe in C++ that uses the Automation SDK to allow Russound CAV6.6 in-wall keypads to control MC10.  It works really well, but I read in another thread that the performance would be even better if I wrote it as a plug-in instead of a stand-alone exe.

So I have some questions about writing a plug-in:
1) In the DevZone there are all sorts of different plug-ins.  What sort of plug-in would my app be?
2) Would this mean substantial changes to the structure of my code, or just wrapping it up in a DLL and adding some sort of Init() fn?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Re:What sort of plug-in?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:09:30 pm »

The performance gain will only be significant if you do a lot of database lookups.   If you are just starting/stopping playback of playlists, etc, then I doubt very much you will get any significant gains to justify moving to an in-process DLL.

If you still want to try it you need to write an interface plugin.   It should be relatively simple moving your app over to it's structure but the thing to watch out for is the plugin mode you specify in the registry, use 1 to make your plugin always active.

Look at the sleeptimer sample which is reasonable enough to get started with.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:What sort of plug-in?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 03:38:30 am »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up