INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem - MC and Microsoft Intellitype 5.0  (Read 1159 times)

Jordan

Problem - MC and Microsoft Intellitype 5.0
« on: December 07, 2003, 12:00:01 am »

MAYBE YOU CAN FIX THIS

The new Microsoft IntelliType 5.0 drivers do not seem to work with Media Center 9.1 or the newest 10 beta I tried. It will launch Media Center but Play, Pause, Stop, Next, and Prev commands won't work. It did work with previous versions of the Intellitype drivers like 2.2.

Other programs such as Winamp and iTunes no longer work correctly with the new 5.0 drivers either, so it must be something they have changed and that you might be able to fix. Or maybe they have made the mistake and will release a 5.1 of their drivers once they get enough complaints. Windows Media Player of course works perfectly with the new drivers, which makes me think they might expect other media players to update their software to support the new drivers and whatever new or changed programming commands that they use.

DETAILS
WinXP Pro
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Intellitype Pro 5.0 Drivers

AussieBill

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Aussies do it upside down
Re:Problem - MC and Microsoft Intellitype 5.0
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 01:35:42 am »

Yeah, Micro$oft have all new, shiny windows events based on multimedia actions, which is coool and all, but being the spawn of satan that they are, have screwed over everybody with new keyboards and intellitype 5.

Eventually Media Center (I"m sure) and other programs will listen to the new events the keyboards and software create, (a lot of progs already do) but for now there is a workaround you can use.

Go to the keyboard settings and reassign the keys to use mjextman.exe, which is a command line controller of media center.

If you go here http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/CommandLine.html
you can see all the commands to send to mjextman.

For example, map the Stop key to "mjextman.exe /Command Stop" using the "Start a program, Web page or file" and reassigning the key.

Repeat this for each key. and here's hint, use "mjextman.exe /Command Pause" for play/pause.  If you use play, it won't toggle between play and pause.

good luck!

Jordan

Re:Problem - MC and Microsoft Intellitype 5.0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 04:44:50 pm »

Thanks a bunch for the response. Those command line switches should work good for Media Center. Thanks.

I use multiple media programs like most people though, and so that isn't a perfect solution. The old IntelliType drivers would recognize if any media player app was open and forward the command to that app. Like if I launch iTunes and am listening to songs with it, the Next command would skip next in iTunes. So, now this is my situation.

INTELLITYPE 2.22 (Old)
It recognizes if any media app is open and the commands work, but the commands sometimes don't work if the media app is not the active application or "on top". Basically if the app is minimized and I open a different app (say Internet Explorer).

INTELLITYPE 5.0 (New)
Only Windows Media Player seems to work and other apps that used to work like Media Center, iTunes, and Winamp will only launch the app but not perform the playback commands. Like you say, hopefully Media Center and other apps will support this in the future.

MEDIA CENTER COMMAND LINE (Suggested Above) OR HOTKEYS FOR OTHER APPS
Only Media Center or one application works of course

If anyone has an idea of why the old IntelliType drivers sometimes don't work for me now if the app isn't the active app, please let me know. Maybe I need to use an earlier or later version of the drivers? (before or after 2.22) If so, know where I can get the drivers? Or is some other setting within the OS, or another application that is causing this problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up