INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing for All Users of my PC??  (Read 1931 times)

Cookie

• Recent member
Installing for All Users of my PC??
« on: December 03, 2003, 05:41:01 pm »

Why oh Why can't I setup MJ8 so my kids can also use it on my pc when they aren't logged on as me??

What am I missing? How do I make it install for ALL users???

Surely a license should be good for all members of a family sharing a pc??

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Installing for All Users of my PC??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 06:00:55 pm »

What am I missing? How do I make it install for ALL users???

you must install MJ8 under your kids login.

in the newer J river project MC9.1 you do not need to do this.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cookie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 06:08:26 pm »

I thought I'd tried this on another pc only to find it didn't work for my own user login anymore ??

So if I install it for each user, we can all use it?

Thanks,

GregG808

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 10:35:28 pm »

I'm glad someone asked this!!  Could you please tell me HOW, exactly, to install for each user on XP Home?  I've put it in the All Users folder, I've put it in each user's individual Document's & Settings folder, I've been on another user's screen and re-downloaded the whole thing onto his desktop and installed it from there, but nothing works.  The best result I get is one user's screen loads a kind of empty-except-for-text black screen that looks like a DOS deal and looks like the bare insides of the screen you're supposed to get.  SO FRUSTRATED!  I often hear instructions to install on each user's account/screen, but I don't know what to do.  Thank you all.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 01:32:40 pm »

I have not used MJ8 for over a year

but as it was you had to log-in as each user

once logged in as that user you must install MJ8
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 01:35:15 pm »

The user rights level for each user has to be a minimum of Power User (after installing this...developed for MC but should work for MJ).

Login each user and install MJ to the same place (ie d:\MediaJukebox). By default, they will all share the same library.

FYI: You can create user specific libraries (see MJ>File>Libraries...not sure if this path is correct for MJ, but it should be close).

10-27

GregG808

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 07:08:38 pm »

I can't reach that link but the url says it's something about setting burning rights?  I'll keep trying to get it to see.  
Actually I did try to reinstall from each user's screen after first installing it from my screen.  As it tried to install, lots of messages popped up saying various Plug-Ins couldn't be installed, about 8 of them.  Then it opens to the odd all-black screen that you can't navigate because there's no buttons, no words, etc. - it looks like it's an under-layer of the "real",  usable MJ screen that's supposed to be there.  No way to even close it -  I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del.  We paid for a license and can't use it except on one screen.  And I've uninstalled/reinstalled it so many times in so many different ways!

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 09:28:28 am »

Sorry G...bad link

Here's the correct one...
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/SetBurningRights.exe

After installing, did it help?

10-27

GregG808

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 05:00:35 pm »

I didn't install it yet, I'm not sure exactly what it is?  If it IS for burning rights, well, that is just a dream at this point.  

I'm so frustrated now that I don't even WANT it anymore.  I tried to let another user just HAVE IT all to himself!  But I can't do that, even.  I made him an Admin, got on his screen, downloaded to his desktop, installed.  The download and install seemed to go okay but this thing still opens as a weird, black, unnavigatable, unusable screen.  Buying the license only made sense if we can share it.  I'd be happy now if even TWO of us could use it!  Now it seems like this other user can't use it AT ALL, he can't get at it even with an Admin acct, it's baffling.

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 05:12:29 pm »

You have to install the utility for all users of the Power User's group before MJ will even run (let alone burn). It is not necessary for users of the Administrators group. The installation must be botched. You probably have to set each user up as a member of Administrators, install MJ, close MJ, back the user's membership down to Power Users, install the utility mentioned, then run MJ.

10-27

GregG808

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 06:56:28 pm »

Wow I have a lot of research to do.  I don't even know what you mean by half of that!  
And, MJ won't work for all, no matter what I do,  without that utility you linked to?

About a bad install - I always remove/uninstall the program through Windows before I re-download and reinstall.  So maybe one or even two, even three  downloads/installs might be bad - but could every single one?  I've done it maybe ten times.  

ALSO: is this strange?? - a few weeks ago I started trying to let other users share and ended up uninstalling/reinstalling.  When it reinstalled on my screen, I looked for where to enter my license registration number.  I didn't see where to register it & clicked Help>About just to have a look...and there was MY name and my license number, already there, automatically.  So MJ has placed some kind of file somewhere on my computer that transmits this fact to the app every single time I download it.  Wonder what else that file is making MJ do or not do right.  Could be that this hassle is totally out of my hands.  And where is that file, anyway?  I've bought plenty of software licenses and everytime I've downloaded a new copy of whatever program they are, I've had to enter my license # by myself, my computer never does it for me.  I think that this is strange.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 07:14:01 pm »

Don't feel bad, I Also Don't

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up