INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decoders used ?  (Read 954 times)

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
Decoders used ?
« on: December 08, 2003, 05:20:22 pm »

Good evening everyone. Someone on another forum I frequent (Iriver specifically for IHP-120, not the international site) clued me in to MC. At first I was extremely overwhelmed with the amount of options and functions provided, but soon grew to really love the things I saw potential in. I still have yet to use most of the features, but will soon try I'm sure.

However, there are a few things which concern me ..especially since I'm considering paying for it. (Probably a first for me  ;D )  One of the reasons I have no problems using seperate components to do multi-tasking, is becasue I know I'm getting the best possible tweaks. But after seeing MC, I'd love to be able to do all of my ripping, burning, encoding and music playing under one roof. Hence my question (S) :

What Mp3 decoder is used and whose version ? This may seem like a silly question, but overall, it's an important one. Alot of people track certain programmers works.
mpglib?  (foobar uses it and is free)
BASS?  (xmplay @ www.un4seen.com not free but probably one of the best ones out there)
fhg ?
xaudio?

Most people probably  know that the MAD decoder is probably one of the most popular ones out there, and for good reason. How does MC's decoding engine compare ?

And what about for Ogg Vorbis ?  I admit that whatever they are...they sound great, but I'd still like to know, in case there are things I can't figure out when trying to attribute a particular nuance (if this should occur) in a file for comparisons sake.

Also, where the ripping and burning software is concerned, how secure would you guys say it is ? I mean, it's pretty hard to get any more secure than EAC's secure mode, or Cdex's Paranoia mode....Anything less, would be silly to use, considering they're both free.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, all of the cool features in the world don't matter if the basics aren't covered. I'm sure that the author/coder of MC can appreciate this sentiment, and would agree.

I'd love to buy this program, but I really need to know if it's more than just another pretty face.

Regards,
S.S.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggie....Or are you gonna bite ?

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
Re:Decoders used ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 06:01:24 pm »

Boooomp.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggie....Or are you gonna bite ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Decoders used ?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 07:29:51 pm »

MC is as or more secure than EAC.  Search the forums for some empirical results.

We use a derivative of mpglib for MP3 decoding.  It has been rated very well in a 3rd party tests.

MAD is much ado about nothing IMO.  Rounding precision has nothing to do with the sound quality of an MP3.

All MC's playback, DSP and burning is 32-bit internally for maximum precision.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up