INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual Firewall Configuration for Media Server  (Read 1385 times)

x243

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Manual Firewall Configuration for Media Server
« on: March 05, 2004, 09:29:07 pm »

I cannot find any information about how to manually configure a firewall to allow the Media Server. The search feature at this forum hasn't been too helpful. I've manually set the server to run on port 8426. When the server starts, it says "Started auto response thread on port 5556," which I'm guessing is the remote port. I've configured my firewall to allow traffic on local TCP port 8426 and remote port 5556, but it doesn't work. I've also tried using 8426 as the remote port and 5556 as the local TCP port just for troubleshooting. Am I missing something?

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Re:Manual Firewall Configuration for Media Server
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 12:27:39 am »

Why not use Port 80?  That's the default port and works well for avoidinf firewalls...

phatrabt

x243

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 10:28:04 am »

I've tried that- local tcp port 80 is open and I opened remote tcp port 5556, but it didn't work then either (neither did 5556 local/80 remote). I really like this firewall because of the control it gives, but if I can't get Media Server working, then the firewall will be getting the boot... Which is unfortunate because there aren't many affordable software firewalls for the Windows 2003 Server platform yet.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 03:59:25 pm »

Port 5556 is the port on the media server machine for the auto discovery protocol. If the packet is crossing a firewall, the auto discovery probably won't work anyways, so don't worry to much about it.

You DO need to open the port you choose in the options.

Take another look at your firewall manual, I think you might be configuring connections wrong.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up