INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to normalize during playback?  (Read 1124 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Any way to normalize during playback?
« on: December 07, 2003, 03:08:14 pm »

I'm playing back a suffled bunch of Christmas CDs, and the gain on some is a lot higher than others.  Is there a way to normalize volume on playback?  I don't want to change the sources or re-encode or anything like that.

Thanks,

Nolo

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
Re:Any way to normalize during playback?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 03:12:20 pm »

The "Analise audio" function of MC doesn't change the original files - it just adds information about the overall loudness (and stuff) to the filetags. And MC uses these values to play songs in similar volume.

So. If you use these functions you don't do any harm to your files - but you can't do this "on the run". Maybe you should select all your files just before you go to bed and let MC analyse over night.

HTH,
Mirko

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 03:24:45 pm »

Why not do all files with the album gain in MP3 gain? I have done that, and I never get those problems. It's perfect and it does not change the file in any other way than to adjust the level.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 03:39:03 pm »

Thanks, Mirko, I'll do that.

Mastiff, are you referring to something that's done during the rip or that's done to already ripped mp3s?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 10:08:15 pm »

Mastiff wrote:
Why not do all files with the album gain in MP3 gain?

How does album gain help when you're playing a random mix from many albums?

Nolonemo wrote:
Mastiff, are you referring to something that's done during the rip or that's done to already ripped mp3s?

He's referring to a program called MP3Gain. It analyzes MP3s and physically adjusts the gain (as opposed to saving the info in the tags and making the gain adjustment on playback, which is what MC does). The advantage of MP3Gain is that since the actual MP3 is changed, the gain adjustments work in any software or hardware player. The disadvantage is that the actual MP3s are changed and if you don't enable or save the undo info there is no way to return the files to their original state. Also, MP3Gain, of course, only works with MP3s. MCs audio analyzation works for all formats supported by MC.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up